My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Don Wyman

March 22, 2004 02:42 PM Forum: Celestron

Panoptics compatible with C8-S?

Posted By Don Wyman

Everything is fine. The Pans are not as sharp at the edges as the Naglers. Keep in mind that a lot of these wide field designs are optimized for use in fast newts, not SCT's.

To paraphrase the late Bob Cox who was an editor for Astronomy magazine, "just how much time do you spend looking at the edges? I usually look at the middle."

Don Wyman

March 25, 2004 05:45 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

FS102 on a new CG5

Posted By Don Wyman

Looks nice. The scope looks to be just the right size for the mount.

Don Wyman

March 27, 2004 05:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Small aperature refractors? I don't get it?

Posted By Don Wyman

I can't offer any logical reasoning for my affection for these things. I just can't stop myself. I always seem to have 2 or 3 on hand at any given time. Here's a list of ones that I've owned:

2 Short Tube 80's (One each Celestron and Orion)
UO 80mm refractor kit
TV 85
TV Ranger
TV Pronto
and currently,
TV 76
Celestron/Vixen 70mm Triplet Semi-Apo

Don W

March 27, 2004 05:15 AM Forum: Celestron

C-8 electric tracker

Posted By Don Wyman

There have been at least a half dozen different versions of the C-8 drive systems over the past 30+ years. You need to be much more specific before we can answer your questions. A picture of the scope or drive would help tremendously.

Don Wyman

March 30, 2004 06:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Is a 2" EP system overkill for my Nexstar 5?

Posted By Don Wyman

The C5 tube baffle is only 1" in diameter. A 2" diagonal won't help much. Get a good quality 1.25" mirror diagonal instead.

Don W

April 1, 2004 01:36 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

I'm Quitting Astromony This April!!!

Posted By Don Wyman

Boy do I know how you feel. The clouds you get passed over us here in Wisconsin first sad

Don W

April 5, 2004 11:03 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Ordered my PST today...

Posted By Don Wyman

Their web site info about imaging says that you should be able to use the afocal method with a camera attached to an eyepiece. Don't know about how to do that with a CCD camera. There won't be a lot of focus travel.

Don W

April 6, 2004 11:21 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

My setup and a Question for the group

Posted By Don Wyman

Well unless you're really into spending money, I would go a cheaper route than the Kendrick. You can get basically the same type system from Walmart or an automotive supply store. They sell them as emergency jumper packs and have a 12volt socket. Get one with about 17amp/hours capacity. If you look around, you can get them for $30-$50.

Don Wyman

April 9, 2004 07:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Circle upside down "Y"-Japan manufacturer?

Posted By Don Wyman

You sure it isn't a Circle V? That would be the Vixen trademark.

April 20, 2004 02:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

PST vs SolarMax40

Posted By Don Wyman

The PST is not out yet. It is rated at <1.0 Angstroms which is great for prominences and just so-so for surface features. The SM40 is <.7A which is considered to be a good balance between the two.