My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Don Wyman

November 20, 2004 07:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron 8x50 finder problem

Posted By Don Wyman

I have several of those type finders. If it has .96" eyepieces then it is original and not converted. Yes my friends, they used to actually put real focusers on finders. This finder should have come with a .96" reticle eyepiece. Not sure if 20mm is the right size. How close are the objects you are trying to focus? Have you tried it on stars? I've attached an image of a similar Meade 8X50 with helical focuser.

Don W

December 28, 2004 10:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

About to Buy a Large (20

Posted By Don Wyman

A good friend just got an 18" f/4.5 Obsession and just loves it. Large aperture, easy to move about and since he's a 6 footer, he doesn't need a ladder to get to the eyepiece.

Don Wyman

January 3, 2005 06:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Waiting on the Meade Announcement!

Posted By Don Wyman

"Boy, I can't wait until Meade makes its ground-breaking announcement later today... will it be 4" flourite apos for $500, LX300's with 2" P.E. and the beefiest mounts ever seen, or super tracking solar telescopes for $299... or maybe improved customer support! Whatever it is it is supposed to be the latest breakthrough since the LX200! Any ideas? "

How about something new and radical like..........truth in advertising?

Don W

January 16, 2005 01:39 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Converting ETX Base for PST

Posted By Don Wyman

Carefully drill a 1/4" Hole in the center of each hub. Cut two 4 inch sections of 1.5"X1.5" aluminum angle and drill a 1/4" hole in the center of one side of each. Attach these to the hubs using 1/4X20 bolts about 1.5" long. Use some sort of lock nut on the inside of the hub. A socket wrench with an extension reaches inside very nicely so you can tighten it securely. I used some 1/4" thick aluminum plate cut to a square that fits between the two angle plates for the telescope mounting part. Drill a couple of 1/4" holes for use in bolting the PST to the plate. I use a hand knob with a 1/4X20 thread to attach the PST.

January 16, 2005 01:40 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Posted By Don Wyman

Here's a shot of the PST in it's new home.

January 16, 2005 01:41 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Posted By Don Wyman

And an underneath shot showing the handknob.

Don Wyman

March 8, 2005 02:59 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Maxscope 60 or double stack Maxscope 40??

Posted By Don Wyman

I had the chance to look through both at Astrofest last fall. The single 60 showed about the same amount of surface detail as the stacked 40 but the added 20mm aperture gave much better detail. I sold my SM40 and bought an SM60. Love it.

Don Wyman

March 11, 2005 09:56 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Re: NEW ETX-PST40

Posted By Don Wyman

Vaclav G Novotny said:

8) Hi Don
You will get as much in royalties as I will
in fact I will give you all of mine as well
How I found out is another matter. if I told you I would then have to kill you and I don't want to do that
(I don't want to get a frend into trouble)

Actually I would be interested to know. I'm heading to Oz April 1st for 16 days. You can buy me a VB in Sydney.

G'day
Don

March 15, 2005 09:20 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Solarmax 60 Binocular with Kowa Highlander

Posted By Don Wyman

That's incredible. I would love to compare it to my TV-102i and Denkmeier Binoviewer. Looks awesome.

Don W

March 26, 2005 12:39 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Resting up Prior to an All Nighter

Posted By Don Wyman

Very nice, Bob. The Star12ED is near the top of my "I wish I had kept that one." list.

Don W