My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Neil Barnett

December 12, 2010 06:39 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Cave in

Posted By Neil Barnett

I just picked this up and am still pretty ignorant on Cave's.
It has a lot of original paperwork, including accessories and original order form, catalog, manual, etc. so here goes...

The basic scope is definately a Cave Astrola 6" Student Deluxe.
The pier top is black cracckle finish like the 6" model A Standard.

This one has 6" setting circles (black with white highlight engraved markings)that were only offered on the Model A's. Actually, the 6" circles on the model A's appear
polished, not black, from what I can see. The Magnusson setting circles used by Cave appear to be slightly different from what I have.
The DEC setting circle is at the top of the shaft, with pointer. There is no mounting hole for a pointer at the bottom of the housing.
The original Magnussons were mounted at the bottom. An interesting side note;
I have a 1950's 8" Magnusson telescope and of all things to be missing, it has no setting circles!

It has an 8X50 finder that was only offered on the Model A's. Note the emblem on the finder. I'm not sure what the emblem is, a monogram of some kind?

Three Astrola Kellner ep's, 6mm, 12mm, and 25mm

The focuser is a special offering by Cave. The Carle Photo-Visual Helical Focuser, alignment cap, and camera adaptor. I've included a picture of the front page addendum
for this focuser. It has a strange little set screw, that requires a micro screwdriver, and it has a mini spring loaded ball tip that contacts the ep or adapter.

The Combination eyepiece projection & prime focus adapter set.

Norton's Star Atlas (offered on the Cave pricing list).

The Bushnell camera adapter had to be bought sepperately.

The Edmund 2-3X Achromatic Barlow was bought sepperately at S&S Optica, still in business here in Colorado (Hi Cathy smile ), with the original
hand written receipt dated Feb. 14, 1976.

Thee are some misc. adjustment tools and two extra brass set knobs.

December 26, 2010 05:11 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

forum entries

Posted By Neil Barnett

I just went to update my restoration entry on a completed Criterion RV-6. The scope turned out great, but I couldn't find my string in the classic scope forum. Then I couldn't find much of any of my entries. A substantial log of information and pictures, somewhat massive and informative, in many forums, not just the classics.

I did find a scant few recent ones, and I also found responses to my earlier entries, even the strings themselves, but none of my personel entries in them.

I have all my ratings, and all my classifieds, which are a plus for the reference characteristic of the classifieds archives.

What about my forum entries?

NEil

That's some shop dust on the scope, the black crinckle was redone and is SHARP

January 6, 2011 02:36 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

S&T on DVD, how is it?

Posted By Neil Barnett

Has anybody had a chance to really dig into the new S&T DVD offering?

I'd like to know how well the search works, how good the pages look,
how complete the issue copies are (anything know edited?), etc.
A general review would be good.

Thanks,
Neil

January 19, 2011 02:30 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

support!

Posted By Neil Barnett

I supported through PayPal well over 4 days ago.
It still doesn't show and I'm still on a classifieds delay.
When does it begin?

January 25, 2011 05:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Short base Telrad?

Posted By Neil Barnett

Does anybody know anything about a Telrad base that is shorter than usual?
We have one that is 5" long. A standard base is 6.75" long.
Besides being short, it looks exactly like a regular base, so much so that we examined it to see if it had been chopped and reglued.
We can't use this for our normal telrads and are hoping these might be sought after so we can possibly look for a trade.

Thanks for any help.

January 27, 2011 09:53 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Criteion Drive Corrector, HELP!

Posted By Neil Barnett

I picked this unit up without any paperwork. The seller let me take it WITHOUT payment till I can check it out.
I floundered around checking it, found no voltage variation, then discovered that it does frequency mods. The output runs about 213V at no load, and about 130 +/- volts with the RV-6 plugged in. Frequency goes from about 56 hertz to 63 hertz when plugged into the wall. I never did get any reading out of the 12V plug. I then forgot to get back to the seller for about 5 days and just recieved an inquiry. I'm a space

I really need specs and a copy of the full directions to correctly check this.

help,
Neil

February 16, 2011 01:33 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

TOS

Posted By Neil Barnett

How can I find out how many ads I've placed in the last 6 months if I have deleted a few and can no longer count them since they don't show up in my list of classifieds?

TOS limits the number placed in a 6 month period.

March 18, 2011 09:22 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Official oddball ETX accessory tray

Posted By Neil Barnett

This is not the Scopetronix accessory tray.
It's quite nice with 4 hand controller locations and 8 ep holes for 1.25".
I have not been able to identify who made it. It sandwiches between the mount and either ETX125 or ETX90.

Any info on this one? Who made it?

Thanks
Neil

August 9, 2011 04:44 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Celestron Classic C8 power cord...time to update

Posted By Neil Barnett

The search for a Classic 8 power cord. All the previous links seem to be dry.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. They are still out there from various applications.
Thanks,
Neil

September 3, 2011 04:53 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Linton, here's the Criterion 10"

Posted By Neil Barnett

https://picasaweb.google.com/109936736036961015676/10ObservatoryClassCriterion?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJOojpOpidDwmQE&feat=directlink#

It looks like tonight is the first night since getting back with this beast.
It has been crated for the last 18 years at least. I'm working on the original owners story.

Neil