My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jeff Quinn

April 5, 2002 10:55 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Look at my old AP 800E

Posted By Jeff Quinn

Look at this old AP800E mount. What a tank. I wish there were more of these on the used market because the one i have is massive and very strong, for just a tad more $ than a G11. The bearings in this thing are like that seen on the axles of 18 wheelers. I love AP products. I had to go with a meade for my refractor, though. I'm an uneducated working man!

April 14, 2002 07:46 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Wanted: MX7-C images

Posted By Jeff Quinn

I want to see your MX7-C images! Do you have any? I want a CCD that is kind of simple and am curious about the Starlight MX7-C. I saw a great image through an AP mak with an MX7-C, by Mr. Christen himself, so perhaps they are serviceable cameras? The image was M42, and it had an overlay image from the HST. I was surprised at how similar both images actually were.

April 24, 2002 01:05 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Top Users

Posted By Jeff Quinn

Herb that was an awesome idea!!! Now we can see who is taking amart for an excessively long free ride!!!!!!!!!

April 30, 2002 11:25 PM Forum: TeleVue

Televue 2x vs. Ultima barlow

Posted By Jeff Quinn

How would you all rate the Televue 2x barlow vs. the Celestron Ultima 2x? The TV has 2 elements while the Ultima has 3, both are fully multicoated, the TV looks a tad longer than the Ultima. So what do you all think? Also, how about the Klee 2.8x barlow vs. the Televue 2.5x barlow (not the Powermate)? Same 2 elements vs. 3 there, too. The eyepieces would be Televue Plossls.

I have an Ultima barlow BTW and it acts perfectly, like it is not even there, other than the 2x amplification. I would appreciate your opinions on this subject!

May 6, 2002 12:34 AM Forum: Refractors

Meade ED refractor

Posted By Jeff Quinn

Meade ED refractors are stunning when tuned up!!!!! All you hear is complaints on the internet because the lens cells these come with are not even remotely up to the task of aligning the lenses properly for such a steep Steinheil configuration as is used (as it should be, to get the soft ED element in the back unlike the Takahashi FS series where it is exposed). I really can't describe the image quality you get with a properly aligned large Meade ED refractor other than that I regularly see detail in Jupiter's GRS, sometimes 10 individual belts, swirls, barges, white and blue ovals, all really easy to see with a snap to focus just like an AP but with a tad less crispness and a tiny blue fringe at the edge. Whew!

These scopes are definately a well kept secret in the refractor world. But I guess you need to know lenses and such to get them working.

May 18, 2002 08:59 PM Forum: Takahashi

Takahashi "Twin View" binoviewer

Posted By Jeff Quinn

If anyone out there has experience with the above mentioned binoviewer, please post how well it illuminates a pair of 32mm Plossl eyepieces. Better yet, is its clear aperture on par with the BW Optic / Lumicon binoviewer? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Clear Skies

May 26, 2002 12:17 PM Forum: Telescope Making

My home made eyepiece

Posted By Jeff Quinn

Has anyone ever experimented with making your own eyepieces? I just got my first taste of the art and made this 46mm 62 degree AFOV Erfle eyepiece out of two 50mm binocular lenses and half of a 50mm military plossl. It only took a few hours of experimentation and assembly work to put it together. It is three achromatic doublets for six elements and air to glass surfaces, and works really well in my 4" f/10 Celestron refractor. I mean it is almost as sharp at the edge as my 40mm Pentax XL, with a hair more true field of view. I assembled it with ABS plumbing pipes, Protostar flock paper, black silicone adhesive, and a left over 2" aluminum tube from the above mentioned military plossl that I took apart.

See that Gary Russell 42mm SWA in the picture? This Erfle is in another class. The 42mm SWA shows the same apparent field of view but with less true field and more lateral color at the edges. So, buy a Rini Erfle eyepiece kit from Surplus Shack if they have any left, and build your own 2 incher some time. It is a lot of fun!

May 27, 2002 01:00 PM Forum: Takahashi

New model: Tak FS-80A

Posted By Jeff Quinn

An achromat from Takahashi, at last! Not to be outdone by TMB's plans to manufacture a line of high quality achromat refractors, Takahashi has done the same, and I have their prototype 80mm model, the first (and only) to be delivered.

Okay okay, just joking. It's only my Omcon 708 with a 2" Synta focuser and a new paint job.

June 1, 2002 01:15 PM Forum: Takahashi

Takahashi knobs?

Posted By Jeff Quinn

Does anyone have a guess if Takahashi would sell me two pairs of focuser knobs? I succesfully obtained these Astro-Physics knobs which I put in my 152ED refractor, and I would like to do the same with some Tak knobs on a couple of other scopes. Anyone have contact info for Takahashi parts? Texas Nautical perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Clear Skies

June 24, 2002 01:13 AM Forum: Eyepieces

The best eyepieces - and I've got a bino set!!

Posted By Jeff Quinn

These rule in f/8 and slower scopes. I just completed my binoviewer set. Now I feel like a man.