Posts Made By: Charles Peterson

August 31, 2003 01:21 AM Forum: Meade

14" LX-200 one man setup?

Posted By Charles Peterson

Guess i'm crazy,for even thinking of buying a 14" LX-200, but i wonder if i can handle this by scope myself.

I've had two 12" LX-200's and i could handle them ok!

My plans are to keep the 14" stored on a counter waist high, that way i never have to bend down or up to lift the scope. I would carry the scope from the counter, to about 20ft outside, and then mount it on its tripod, with a scope saver. Just thinking of wrestling it out of the door with all that weight kinda scares me.

Does anyone handle this scope without any help?

Chas P.

September 7, 2003 07:33 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Place to service 10x-70's?

I have a pair of Orion 10x70's, that were made in 1984, the prisims have fogged over.

Just wondered who can do service work on them?

Thanks Chas P.

September 9, 2003 06:16 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Big AOP or Dob help pick!

Hi everyone, i need help!

I've been in astronomy since 1976, i've had around 140 scopes over the years! You name it i have had it, SCT's many refractors, from 60mm to a older 6" AP Starfire, many Newts from 6" to 14.5", and on and on.

I am coming into some money soon, guess i could spend up to $32,000, but would like to stay under $24,000!

I live in Tampa FL, my skies are around mag 3 most nites, but i have super seeing, many nites my seeing is 9+.

So most of my time is spent looking at planets and the moon with powers to 350x to 1000x! So i dont know if i should get a 18" to 24" Starmaster, or a 6" to 8" APO.
If i get the Starmaster, i will have to tear out a wall, and install double doors, that way i can wheel the scope in and out, without any hassle! I dont want to put the Dob together and tear it down everytime i use it.

Or i could get, say a 7" to 8" TMB APO, and then mount it on a super heavy duty mount, guess a AP-1200, GM-200 Losmandy, or some other well built mount.
But i would have to setup the APO everytime i use it!

So i figure a good used Starmaster with GO-TO 18" to 24" with the double door install, would cost me around $9,000 to $13,000.
Or go with the 6" TAK & NJP mount for about $17,000, or a 7" TO 8" TMB for about $18,000 to over $32,000.

What do you guys think is best???

Chas P.

September 11, 2003 12:19 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Parallax Instruments web site?

Does anyone know the phone number for Parallax?
Or if thye have a web site?

Thanks Chas P.

September 15, 2003 02:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Obsession vs Starmaster Dobs

Just wondered what people think of the Obsession Dobs, compared to Starmaster.
I've owned three Starmasters, so i know they are super excellent! I've never owed a Odsession,and would like to know if the optics Obsession uses will compare to the Zambuto optics?

Chas P.

September 16, 2003 05:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Vixen 114mm ED

Just got a Vixen 114mm ED f/5.3 OTA and Orion skyview delux 2 EQ mount! Boy the Vixen is much bigger than i thought it would be, and it's pretty heavy. It's a little to big for the Orion mount! I would suggest a GM-8 or maybe a Vixen DX mount, to hold the 114mm Vixen.

I just looked at some trees of in the distance, color correction seems to be much better that i thought it would, i can't notice any color with powers over 120x.

The real test will come tonite, if it's not cloudy.

Chas P.

September 18, 2003 11:52 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Whats best 31mm Nag or 41mm Pano?

Just wanted to know what you big Dob owners like best for a low power wide field eyepiece?

Would you pick the 31mm Nag, or the 41mm Pano?

Chas P.

September 20, 2003 11:46 PM Forum: Takahashi

EM-200 and AC power?

Can you use AC power, to run the EM-200 mount?

Or do i need a adapter or whatever else?

Chas P.

September 20, 2003 11:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

EM-200 mount and AC power?

Does anyone know if i can use AC power to run a EM-200 mount? Or do i need some adapter?

Chas P.

September 27, 2003 11:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

O.D. of FS-128 tube?

Anyone know the O.D. of the Tak FS-128 tube?

Chas P.