My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Scott Lewellen

April 25, 2004 12:40 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Eyepiece Upgrade Questions

Posted By Scott Lewellen

I'm considering (slowly) upgrading my Plossl eyepiece collection and am curious what types of eyepieces you all are using with your refractors. I have been using Plossl designs exclusively so far for all types of viewing. I have 1.25-inch EP’s in 40mm, 32mm, 25mm, 17mm, 15mm, 10mm, 7.5mm, and 6mm sizes. I also use a 2x Barlow lens. The short eye relief of the shorter focal length Plossls has never really bothered me that much (I don't wear glasses), but I am considering going to some Orthos for planetary viewing and possibly some 2-inch EP's for wide field low power viewing.

I'm leaning towards University Optics Orthos at this point. Currently I have all Orion Sirius Plossls (actually the 15mm and 6mm are the generic Plossls that came from Burgess Optical with my Burgess 1278 telescope). My 2x Barlow lens is an Orion “Shorty Plus” model. I’ve heard the Televue Plossls are of very high quality. So would orhtos be most useful for say 10mm and shorter focal lengths, or would you consider Orthos for the medium power EP’s as well? Would you stay with higher quality Plossl designs for the medium and low power EP’s or go to a different design EP's for the 40mm and/or 32mm sizes? My budget won’t allow for really high end EP’s, but am looking for good performers for the $$$. I like Planetary, double star, and cluster viewing primarily. Scopes are the Burgess 1278 and 1026. Any thoughts would be appreciated... (Scott)

September 19, 2004 03:47 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Thomas Back Post regarding Burgess Optical

Posted By Scott Lewellen

Interesting assessment from Thomas Back regarding his relationship with Bill Burgess and Burgess Optical... (Scott)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BurgessRefractors/message/6885

April 23, 2004 08:42 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Burgess Finder

Posted By Scott Lewellen

I read that someone had the Burgess finder objective come unglued from the main finder OTA (but he was able to reglue it with no further problems). The crosshairs are very hard to see, but I use mine on the 1026 routinely without problem. On my 1278, I use an Orion 9x50 RACI due to fact near zenith my Orion SkyView Pro mount makes it difficult (impossible?) to use a straight through finder of any type comfortably. Views through my Burgess finders appear just as good as the Orion finder... (Scott)

July 5, 2004 05:10 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Burgess SWA EPs

Posted By Scott Lewellen

Hi Floyd. I had the opportunity to try out the Burgess 20mm SWA and really liked it as well. When they are in stock, I definitely plan to buy a set of the Burgess SWA's... (Scott)

July 22, 2004 10:41 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Update on the 20x100 Binoculars?

Posted By Scott Lewellen

Hi Ray. Mark is correct. You're best bet is to contact Bill directly for the latest expected delivery dates... (Scott)

October 8, 2004 04:38 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Whats a good high mag EP for a 1278?

Posted By Scott Lewellen

Hi Jerome. When conditions allow, I push my 1278 to over 333x. That's the highest power EP/Barlow combination I have at the moment (6mm EP with 2x Barlow). I don't get too many nights that conditions support this except in the winter. I'll bet the Nagler zoom would be quite useful with the 1278... (Scott)

October 12, 2004 02:06 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Change of trend

Posted By Scott Lewellen

Hi Floyd. You have expressed exactly what I was thinking has gotten lost in all of these posts. (Except for the finder scope), the Burgess 1278 OTA is a nice Chinese-sourced achromat IMO. I've been impressed with mine. Others who have looked through it seemed to like it as well. Nothing fancy, just a nice 127mm F8 achro that I'm greatly enjoying... (Scott)

November 13, 2004 06:41 PM Forum: Reflectors

Hardin 10" f/5 DSH dob

Posted By Scott Lewellen

I have a DSH 10 on order. I will be using it with my existing 1.25" Televue Plossl collection, and the supplied 2" 32mm Hardin EP (Kellner?). I hope the Televue Plossls will work well with this scope until I can upgrade to quality wide field EPs over time. I'm really looking forward to this scope. It's my first Dob. Actually it's my first reflector. All my previous experience has been with achromatic refractors. Up to this point my largest scope has been a 5-inch achro... (Scott)

October 2, 2007 01:27 AM Forum: Refractors

Thomas Back Passes...

Posted By Scott Lewellen

So sad... Rest in peace Thomas. You touched many more lives than you could have imagined. Condolences to your family.