Posts Made By: Glen Scott

December 4, 2003 11:18 AM Forum: Binoviewers

New Developement

Posted By Glen Scott

Check Classified ad no.233634

December 12, 2003 09:49 AM Forum: Binoviewers

1.25in. Focal Length Reducers for Binoviewers

Posted By Glen Scott

Are there any other companies besides Siebert optics making 1.25 in. focal length reducers for binoviewers.

January 5, 2004 12:48 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Are these the same two people

Posted By Glen Scott

I thought people would be interested in the take that Tom Hole and Michael Sandy have on the Black Night binoviewer
on Cloudy Nights.http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10&Board=binoviewers&Number=36450&page=0&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=&PHPSESSID=

January 7, 2004 03:20 PM Forum: Binoviewers

1.002X OCA

Posted By Glen Scott

It looks like we, the bino users, win again. I've just noticed
that Siebert Optics, {Binoveiwer Classifieds}, has come out with a new 1.002X OCA for reflectors and refractors. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better we get another lower power option for binviewing.

January 13, 2004 08:14 PM Forum: Binoviewers

New Bino Blues?

Posted By Glen Scott

I have been following a thread on the Burgess Optical forum which has been discussing the immediate resale of telescopes that people have recently aquired. The same phenomena is occurring in our area of the astronomy hobby. In following the new
Astromart Binoviewer Classifieds there have been a large number of recently purchased binos for sale and at a not an inconsiderable
loss to the original purchaser. Many of these binos have been owned for less than 2 months. That is barely enough time to get some setups sorted out and begin enjoying using two eyes. Over $200.00 dollars on average is the differential between original cost and subsequent resale.
The joys of binoviewing may have been over-hyped in these people estimation and they may feel that the benefits are outweighed by the costs they incurred or they may be liquidating equipment to pay post xmas bills. What ever the reason it is a disturbing trend.
It implies that we are loosing as many people as we appear to be gaining for this part of the hobby. Clear Skies, Scotty

January 23, 2004 09:05 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Used TV binos

Posted By Glen Scott

I just received my gently used TV binos today. Now I see what ardent TeleVue fans like about these binos. They have absolutely
no color difference side to side and no color shift away from true color either. The TV binos have 27.5mm clear aperture compared to my BWoptics 22mm and only weigh 2oz
more at 21.55oz.Amazing. With the 1.8OCA the total is only 2.3oz more. I was concerned about balance issues associated with the larger clear aperture. I have a 1.3x MaxLight OCA on order from Harry. He assures me that it won't pose any balancing problems either and I should also get all the performance possible from the large clear aperture that the TV has.It snowed 3in.today and given that I have yet another Astronomy related product on the way that should guarantee that I won't see the stars for another 2weeks. All I can do is look at the TV's in the storage case and imagine what it will be like to actually use them for the first time. Oh Well. Waiting for clear skies and above zero temps in the frozen north, Scotty

January 24, 2004 02:04 PM Forum: Binoviewers

The TV binos are going fast

Posted By Glen Scott

If you haven't checked out the Astromart Binoviewer Classified today the used TV binos are going fast.
If you have wanted the legendary TV quality it is available
for a very good saving compared to new. The average savings is over $330. In a word [Sweet]. Clear Skies,Scotty

February 6, 2004 08:42 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Check off topic forum for Herbs comments

Posted By Glen Scott

Harry check Herbs comments at this link http://www.astromart.com/messages.asp?message_id=168397&page=

February 12, 2004 11:30 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Siebert Multi-Power OCA

Posted By Glen Scott

Did we ever find out how this thing works? How can it be so short with no intravel requirements and still operate at 1.5x or less? Has anyone discussed this with Mr.Siebert.
Since the contest ended it shouldn't be classified anymore.
Scotty

February 29, 2004 08:24 PM Forum: Binoviewers

TeleVue Bino & Siebert 1.8 OCA

Posted By Glen Scott

I finally saw the stars again after almost 3mo of WINTER.
I got my 15in.F5 dob out the door and down the path shoveled through the snow to my observing area behind my home and
tried out my new TV binos with the 1.8 OCA. The first thing I noticed was a greater 3D effect on M42 at 100x than I saw
through my BWoptics. The BWoptics binos are 2000 vintage and not current spec as to coatings. The next targets were Jupiter and Saturn. Jupiter was about 35 degrees above the horizon and the seeing in that direction was not the greatest. Both equatorial bands were evident as well as one band South of the equator. This was at 100x which was all that seeing would allow. Saturn was well placed and at 150x
showed slightly better contrast than the BWOptic. Titan,Tethys,Dione,Rhea,and Enceladus were easily seen at
150x. The Cassini division and the C ring were seen at 100x
as well as color and some banding,the shadow cast on the rings by the planet was very striking. Of course just as I was going for MORE POWER the fog came up and in only ten minutes obliterated the stars and ended my observing session at 10:10 pm. The mirror is well cooled down and the temp is a constant 26 degrees and the show is over.
Maximum suckage. The differences in contrast were slight between the two units. No ghosting,false color or merging problems were encountered with the BWOptics or the TV Binos.
The oft reported problem of sticky IPD adjustment on TV Binos at low temperatures did not manifest itself. Eps
used were Sieberts Optics 32mm 50 degree FOV standard and 22.5mm 70degree FOV UltraPlus. I can hardly wait for the
1.3 OCA for my Televue to arrive. Hint,hint. I might even
get lucky and not have 2wks of rain and snow after it arrives. Siebert Optics support of TeleVue binos with low power OCA's that can use filters as well as focal reducers
is a welcome addition of flexability to the TV's superior
performance potential. Thanks Harry.