Posts Made By: Glen Scott

March 18, 2004 08:44 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Zoom OCA benefits

Posted By Glen Scott

It might be interesting to contemplate the potential benefits of a zoom OCA. The device can pay for itself with the elimination of even one set high quality wide-field eps.
Observing targets can be aquired at low power and then zoomed to the desired mag level. On a dob this is very handy,
as most dobs are not tracking mounts,when you change eps you run the risk of losing the object.
Another benfit would be the ability to continously vary the magnification while observing the planets at high power to compensate for variations in seeing conditions. One might be able to see just a little more detail this way.
There are probably some benefits I've overlooked but these are enough to set the imagination on fire. I can hardly wait for Harry to bring this to market.
Clear Skies,Scotty

March 23, 2004 03:43 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Mr.Gutman, you got some 'splaining to do

Posted By Glen Scott

Does the recent post on your group mentioning TV binos and Siebert 1.3 OCA represent an abandonment of your long standing exclusionary policy towards Siebert Optics products for imaginary "copyright infringement reasons". Also will positive comments regarding TV binoviewers and Siebert Optics be allowed or only negative comments in the future. Just wondering, Scotty

March 23, 2004 07:30 PM Forum: Binoviewers

TeleVue Binoviewer Purchase

Posted By Glen Scott

I never thought that I would have to defend the decision to
purchase a TeleVue binoviewer but Jim Gutman has put me on the spot. Hopefully no one else will have to defend their decision to purchase a binoviewer other than Jim's preferred unit. http://www.astromart.com/messages.asp?message_id=161819
It finally happened,I received an astronomical accessory
and I beat the odds. My 1.3 OCA arrived on Sat. and I was able to go out the next night and use the TV 1.3OCA combo
for the first time. The temp was 18degrees and humidity was 30%. Transparency was very good,so good that it was hard to believe I was in a suburban location with bad light pollution. This sort of condition is very rare. The fly in
the ointment was winds aloft that kept the maximum useable
mag to about 100x.I spent most of the observing session at 77x. Leo and Virgo were well positioned as was M51.
This was my first time this year to revisit an old friend,
M51 actually showed the spiral structure which gave rise to to the Whirlpool appellation. No connecting bridge was seen.
M65,M66,95,96,and M105 in Leo were the next targets and once again
structure was evident as well as the extended nature of the target. Usually if galaxies are glimpsed from my location
it is a case knowing what you are looking at from past experience rather than being easily able to recognize the object. The Virgo cluster was next and I got lost in the maze of galaxies. Those pesky NGC objects were part of the problem. M35 in Auriga was very nice, the cluster filled the field of view and had a pronounced 3D effect.Yes I looked at Jupiter, and four bands were seen with possible festooning in the south equatorial band,but with only 100x possible what are you going to do.
This was an auspicious beginning to the Spring observing season. I used a 15in.F5 Discovery truss dob.No balance issues were present and the TV/1.3 OCA combo performed very well. It required 10mm of intravel to reach focus and focus travel remained to accomodate eps which require more infocus than 32mm,and 22.5mm I used for the bulk of my observing. 15mm Ultra,s were easily accomodated with some room to spare. Clear skies,Scotty

April 15, 2004 03:54 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Increasing the odds

Posted By Glen Scott

I have heard more than one account about binoviewers
arriving out of collimation,and not from any specific manufacturer,UPS spares no one. I was wondering if there was any way to increase their chances of surviving the tender ministrations of UPS. Better known not by their acronym but by their full name, united package smashers.
Scotty

April 25, 2004 05:26 AM Forum: Binoviewers

A sorry state of affairs

Posted By Glen Scott

It is a sad commentary on the state of things and a sorry day for CN Lab Reports when all you need to have accomplished to be ranked by CN as "One of the worlds most
experienced binoviewer reviewers" is to have one published review on their website.This statement would be hilarious if I didn't think someone was actually serious about the description. Alan Dyer,Ed Ting,and Todd Gross,immediately come to mind as observers with decades more experience with binoviewing and unbiased critical evaluation skills. This sort of circus sideshow barking ill becomes CN Lab Reports and does nothing to establish credibility for the accuracy of their reports, present or future. Jim's no doubt a fine fellow, but as someone who has only recently returned to astronomy after a 30 year absence 22months ago, he hardly has the decades of experience and countless reviews with proper application of scientific
analysis used to form an opinion to be considered "One of the worlds most experienced binoviewer reviewers". Less hyperbole used to announce a new review on CN would inspire
more confidence in the scientifc veracity and accuracy of their reports.

May 19, 2004 03:50 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Denk OCS fit other BVs?

Posted By Glen Scott

Tom M,Siebert Optical has made a business of supporting all binoviewer brands with OCAs and barlows,you might try contacting Harry and explaining your needs.
Clear Skies,Scotty

May 20, 2004 02:42 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Siebert Optics BlackNight,Question for Harry

Posted By Glen Scott

Since I couldn't pass up the used TV binos
and bought a TeleVue specific 1.3OCA instead of Black Nights could you tell me what design differences exist between the older Siebert binos
and the Black Night binos. I know the Black Nights weigh less and thats about it. Less Rain, Scotty

June 21, 2004 10:58 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Report from Wi.ObserversWeekend

Posted By Glen Scott

Here is a short report of my experiences at WOW. WI.weather cooperated for once and two out of three days were excellent.Great transparency and fairly still air,300x
possible on objects at Zenith. Comets
C/2001 Q4{NEAT}and C/2002 T7{LINEAR}
were observed.This was the first time
the weather has cooperated and I have been able to see these comets. This was the one of the highpoints of the weekend. My setup was a Discovery 15in.F5 truss dob TeleVue bino with Siebert optics 2in 1.3 OCA with Siebert eps. A number of children were at this starparty,all were able to merge sucessfully and enjoyed the views.M13 at 240x was very popular with M27 and M57 at 110x not far behind. Jupiter was also a good target for children. Of special interest are the storms raging on the edge of the southern equatorial belt.
These appear as black streaks and a dark dot. Everyone who looked through the bino setup enjoyed the views.Around 150 observers were in attendance with 22 different Astronomical societies represented.
Kudos to Ty and Newstar for a great starparty. Clear skies,Scotty

June 24, 2004 03:15 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Black Night 2in. Logo

Posted By Glen Scott

I think you should put it in the middle on top of the unit.

July 5, 2004 06:57 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Cloudy Nights sold to Astronomics

Posted By Glen Scott

Following the sale to Astronomics the CN Lab reports are now free.
And now back to your regularly scheduled programing. Clear Skies,Scotty