My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Robert Howe

January 16, 2008 07:02 PM Forum: TeleVue

NP 127s now abounding

Posted By Robert Howe

After seeing very few of them for years, the TeleVue NP127s are now turning up regularly on Amart. Any ideas why? The TV85 and Genesis 100mm f/5 that I own are magnificent scopes.

Robert

January 27, 2008 10:10 PM Forum: Refractors

Refractor Geek Seeks a Peek

Posted By Robert Howe

Hello,

I'm not looking to buy but to look, so that I can plan for my next telescope purchase and sales. Does anyone in my neighborhood have a 160-200 mm refractor of world-class quality (AP, TEC, TMB)? If so, can we have a session together? I'm just outside of Springfield MA and would be happy to drive a couple of hours for the privilege of looking at Mars and Saturn through your telescope.

February 21, 2008 03:19 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Lunar Eclipse from Phoenix

Posted By Robert Howe

DAMMITALL!
I LOVE THIS HOBBY!

Last year I planned my annual vacation to visit my parents in Phoenix, to coincide with the lunar eclipse; we have >60% cloud cover in Massachusetts at this time of year. Yesterday was bright and clear until 6 pm (totality 8:01-56 local time) when the sky just closed over. I checked every 10 minutes until fourth contact. Not a sucker hole to be seen.

Ten minutes later, the crud all blew away to reveal the full moon mocking me. A half hour later the sky was socked in again with a lightning and hail storm.

Just after second contact my oldest son called me from Boston, "Dad, do you know there's a FABULOUS eclipse?" "Argggggggh!"

Today dawned bright and clear...
Oh well, at least I have the visit with my folks!

DAMMITALL!
I LOVE THIS HOBBY!

March 24, 2008 07:09 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Barlows, Powermates, Barcons and Focal Length

Posted By Robert Howe

Hi guys and gals,

This post will likely expose me to be a complete rube, but even after six years as a serious observer, the business of Barlows and telescope FLs confuses me. If a Barlow effectively doubles a telescope's FL, why does one need a longer telescope?

How does the Astro-Physics Barcon accessory differ in this regard from any other Barlow, or from my own favorite FL extender, the TeleVue 2x 2 inch Powermate? I like the Powermate because it accepts the 2 inch EPs that I prefer and gives extremely sharp images.

If I use a 2x Barlow/Barcon/Powermate on, say, a five inch f/7.5 refractor of FL 1050, will it truly perform like a 5 inch refractor of f/15, FL 2100? If so, do I have any need or use for a refractor with FL 1800 (see photo)? Does the behavior differ if I use the Barlow or similar device before or after the diagonal?

Thanks,

Robert Howe

April 1, 2008 10:29 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

Waiting list for 160 mm refractor

Posted By Robert Howe

Hi all, I just thought that I would pass along part of a note from Darleen. I had received a notification on a new 900GTO, which I do not need, so I asked her about my place in line for a 160 refractor.

"Regarding the 160, you went on that list in 2003 . . . we’ve reached late November 1999 on that list, so there are a significant number of names still ahead of you on that list."

Clear skies,

Robert

April 14, 2008 06:57 AM Forum: LUNATICS

2009 Total Solar Eclipse

Posted By Robert Howe

Hi all,

I am seeking a cruise to the 2009 total solar eclipse, which will be in the South China Sea. If anyone knows of a boat travelling out of Korean or Japanese ports (not out of China!), I will be most grateful for the information.

Thanks

Robert Howe

April 27, 2008 08:12 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Lunt solar scopes and more

Posted By Robert Howe

At NEAF yesterday I had the chance to examine, but not to try, the solar scopes from Lunt products, also a new device from Daystar. The Lunt 20 cm Newtonian solar telescope is awesome, built like a tank, 20# or so, with integral choice of 0.5 or 0.7 Angstroms and with optional CaK viewing. Their 60 mm Ha scope is also built solidly, much more so than my sweet little pre-Meade Coronado, and is a third the price. Their CaK scope is solid, too. They should thrive.

Jen Winters has taken over Daystar and is pushing a product with great potential, a little refractor with their etalon, which is optimized for temperate climates. You can buy a 38 mm self contained solar scope, which they seem to think is a new idea, for 0.7, 0.5 or 0.3 Angstrom viewing. I was unimpressed by the one I saw (0.5) but the seeing may have been partly to blame. A larger aperture would be logical.

And of course Meade, feeling the heat, has slashed the prices on their Coronados, which proves they were ravishing us all along.

It's great to see so much new in Solar observing!

Robert Howe

April 27, 2008 08:14 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

New Solar Stuff!

Posted By Robert Howe

At NEAF yesterday I had the chance to examine, but not to try, the solar scopes from Lunt products, also a new device from Daystar. The Lunt 20 cm Newtonian solar telescope is awesome, built like a tank, 20# or so, with integral choice of 0.5 or 0.7 Angstroms and with optional CaK viewing. Their 60 mm Ha scope is also built solidly, much more so than my sweet little pre-Meade Coronado, and is a third the price. Their CaK scope is solid, too. They should thrive.

Jen Winters has taken over Daystar and is pushing a product with great potential, a little refractor with their etalon, which is optimized for temperate climates. You can buy a 38 mm self contained solar scope, which they seem to think is a new idea, for 0.7, 0.5 or 0.3 Angstrom viewing. I was unimpressed by the one I saw (0.5) but the seeing may have been partly to blame. A larger aperture would be logical.

And of course Meade, feeling the heat, has slashed the prices on their Coronados, which proves they were ravishing us all along.

It's great to see so much new in Solar observing!

Robert Howe

September 30, 2008 08:53 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Telescopes for sale

Posted By Robert Howe

Lots of quality refractors on the market today, two Travelers (and I have been offered three others), a 130 f/8, a 155 f/7, a couple of NP 127s, a TEC 140. It's a good thing I am not in a buying mood!

October 30, 2008 08:27 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Telescope safety in a Dome

Posted By Robert Howe

After much comparative observing I plan to keep a MakNewt and an AP refractor mounted side by side in a simple Exploradome. Last year I noted that the dome absolutely kept snow and rain out, but I am concerned about dew. Beyond keeping the telescopes capped and having dessicators in the focussers, what measures would be advisable? I can have zip-up canvas bags made by a local seamstress to fit around each 'scope. I am reluctant to keep a bulb burning or such thing, as I have a (perhaps irrational) fear of unattended electrical items being kept on 24/7.

If David from Clinton CT reads this, please contact me on AMart. My email has crashed.

Thanks

Robert