ATWB Customer Gallery

Great Horned Owl

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: jeff catalina

February 6, 2004 12:49 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Let the scum die, sooner the better...

Posted By jeff catalina

A probation officer recommended o to a judge on December 30th---only five weeks ago---that this animal be incarcerated because of parole violations. The judge said no. We don't call the judges decision to let this man remain free a crime, but it was clearly the wrong one. It, in effect, directly contributed to the death of this little girl.

My fear is that in a society like the one that you wish for, that judge would be drawn and quartered only minutes after this child killer was run over by a steam roller. What's worse is that it would probably all be on cable.

Make no mistake, I don't mean to imply that harsh punishment, even the capital sort, is wrong. It is clearly justified in some instances. But torture before death isn't the answer either. Should we return to the middle ages, where public hangings and disembowelments were today's equivalent of a cup of coffee?

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

February 6, 2004 07:01 PM Forum: Meade

Meade's new "Sky Assurance Plan"

Posted By jeff catalina

Are they kidding me? They've abandoned thousands of LX 200 Classic owners by discontinuing, first the scope, then the service kit, and soon, I bet they'll be refusing to fix it at all. Now they've got the cajones to offer an extended warrantee for their newest line of scopes? Maybe that's a good thing, because if the newer versions of the LX line are anything like the first models of the Classic, folks are going to need that extended warrantee. All this on top of the fact that they no longer will sell the pictor ccd line. If the past is any indicator, they won't even admit they ever even SOLD them in the first place.

Jeff

February 12, 2004 06:55 PM Forum: Religion

how long before degeneration . . . ?

Posted By jeff catalina

Anyone have any ideas about how many posts it takes (on average) for an initial meaningful thread to degenerate into a nonsensical and/or unrelated topic? Mind you, I'm only interested in PRP. wink

Regards,

Jeff

February 22, 2004 07:43 PM Forum: Politics

Hello?

Posted By jeff catalina

Hmmm . . . what's this place?

March 2, 2004 07:57 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

moon with the LPI

Posted By jeff catalina

Here's a shot of the moon showing the straight wall region (lower right) as well as various other features on the terminator. Seeing was fair. 40 frames, 8" sct @ f10. I reduced the image size by 20% and applied slight sharpening in maxim dl.

Jeff C

March 5, 2004 01:20 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

stamps for email??????

Posted By jeff catalina

Check this out.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/03/05/spam.charge.ap/index.html

What is the world coming to?

March 13, 2004 07:33 PM Forum: Politics

Dimitry: Something---ANYTHING

Posted By jeff catalina

Please, you'd be doing all of your kind a favor if you could just once post a viable alternative to anything you criticize---war, politics, whatever. As a matter of fact, I won't even demand that it's viable. Just an alternative. Because until you do you've got no business criticizing me for my opinions.

March 13, 2004 07:43 PM Forum: Politics

AND ANOTHER THING . . .

Posted By jeff catalina

While you continue to foam at the mouth and claim I'm evil, ask yourself if FDR, Truman, and Churchill were evil because they too decided that after being attacked, it was a good idea to respond militarily. "Evil" is a strong word, and best used where most appropriate. "Shmuck" on the other hand can be used readily. And you, Dimitry, certainly qualify as one of these.

March 25, 2004 04:25 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter with the Meade LPI

Posted By jeff catalina

Here's Jupiter taken Monday night, 3-22.

Two stacks of 30 images each, combined and processed in Maxim DL. 8" SCT, TV 2.5X powermate, @ f/25. This is a repost of an earlier image I posted in the User/Film and CCD Photos forum a few days ago. I recombined the original stacks with a bit more precision and applied the Local Adaptive Filter in Maxim to bring out more contrast and detail. It's not as good as some of the pix these maniacs post, but I'll take it for now! smile

Jeff

March 30, 2004 01:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

SCT and Feathertouch Focuser?

Posted By jeff catalina

I'm thinking of a Feathertouch focuser. Does anyone know if I'll be able to reach the zenith while operating in alt/az? I'll be using a William Optics 2" dialgonal. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff