My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mike Dedon

October 14, 2003 09:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Losmandy RDF90 as a guide mount

Posted By Mike Dedon

Anyone used or using a RDF90 as a guide scope mount on an SCT. I plan on using a Meade 70-ETX and don't want to drill holes for a DR series or can "Ken's Rings" be screwed on the rear and double sided taped to the front to provide full support.

I guess I'm just concerned that the Losmandy will vibrate along its length since it's only fixed at the rear. TIA, Mike...

October 21, 2003 09:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

CCDSoft support for SAC Imagers

Posted By Mike Dedon

Does CCDSoft support SAC imagers. I haven't seen it on the web site and it looks like the effort SBIG is putting on for their equipment indicates the "lower" priced stuff won't get recognition. I've looked on the Yahoo user group site and didn't see anything. I may have missed it and if I did could someone point me in the right direction.

November 13, 2003 05:16 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

CCD and USB Capacity

Posted By Mike Dedon

I'm starting my first attempt at CCD imaging and autoguiding. I want to setup my laptop in my heated garage about 40' from my scope setup. I strongly suspect I will need a USB amplifier or two. I have a reasonably powerful Compaq laptop and will be using a SAC8 as my imager and a Meade 201xt as my guider, along with a USB mouse and USB printer.

I have been searching online for USB extender ports but they don't specifically say they will amplify signal for greater than normal distance. I may be making the false assumption that the ones with their own AC power can do this.

Can anyone provide any insight, specs or sources where I can get the equipment I need. I have an unpowered hub now and it won't drive my mouse, printer and digital camera upload at the same time.

November 22, 2003 04:30 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Solar Alignment for Photos

Posted By Mike Dedon

I'm at a loss as to how to align for a session of solar imaging. There's no Polaris to align on or stars to drift align. I wouldn't believe I would have to setup at 4:00 a.m. and wait 'til daylight. BTW, I have never tried solar imaging.

I want to get a couple of good pics of the renewed sunspot group and I expect I'll take a few, throw them away and acquire more until I get it right, and I would prefer to not have to realign between imaging and stacking/cleanup sessions.

Honestly, this sounds to me like a stupid question since it's hard to miss the sun in the sky, but I ask for your comments.

January 3, 2004 03:07 PM Forum: Celestron

C8 Advanced and Add-On CN-16 GPS

Posted By Mike Dedon

This may be redundant info but I didn't see it in a search. I ordered my C8-SGT Advanced with CG5 EQ mount in September along with the CN-16 addon GPS. Got the scope in three weeks but the GPS back ordered and came in after Christmas. It plugs into the AUX port on the CGE and NextStar 5i/8i but the Advanced does not have an AUX port. A message to Celestron came back with the info stating the adapter needed for the Advanced is not being manufactured and probably won't be available until February. However, you can get a 6-pin connector which allows the hand controller and the GPS to plug into two female slots, and the connector then gets plugged into the Hand Controller port on the mount. I opted to get a two female in and one female out and patched it to the HC port with a 12" 6-pin patch cable.I found all parts at Lowes in the phone aisle for about $6. It works fine.

April 5, 2004 02:53 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Ordered my PST today...

Posted By Mike Dedon

Placed an order for my PST today. I didn't even question them for a delivery date. I figured with so many people predicting this equipment is worth many more dollars than its current pricing, I better at least get on a wait list before Coronado or the retail dealers start listening.

If anyone gets one soon, I would really like to hear about anyone using it for CCD imaging and the mount setup you come up with.

May 14, 2004 04:55 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Solar Reference Books?

Posted By Mike Dedon

Can anyone recommend reference books on solar composition and phenomena. I read the review of "Encyclopedia of the Sun" but I'm not looking for a solar system book. I'm not a physics grad but I am looking for something more technical than the regular guy on the street. My white light filter and my order for a PST have been drawing me closer to home than M31. Just thought I should learn more about it.

July 20, 2004 01:43 PM Forum: Pet Pics

Rare Moment

Posted By Mike Dedon

Don't be fooled. Bassets do not just lie around all day. Being originally from south Louisiana, the big one is Boudreaux and the little one is Thibodeaux. Totally inseparable and just like their stereotyped cajun counterparts.

July 21, 2004 10:17 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Afocal Help

Posted By Mike Dedon

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get shots of active regions AR652, etc. I'm using an ETX 70 and a Kodak DX3900 with an Orion SteadyPix as a camera mount. I can not get focus with this setup. I've locked the auto focus and am using the timer exposure function to reduce shake but still nothing near acceptable. The preview mode, before exposure does not appear to be in focus. Does the ETX have a limiting range in this mode, does the Kodak camera have limits, or am I just messing things up. "" Yes, I am new to imaging and am getting frustrated quickly. "

August 23, 2004 09:53 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Nikon E&S Eyepiece Options

Posted By Mike Dedon

Does anyone make an adapter to use my 1.25" EPs with my Earth & Sky 80mm scope? What about night scope attachmments?