My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Weise

March 20, 2004 08:37 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Low power bino purchase (Input please)

Posted By James Weise

I'm looking into buying the Nikon 8x32 SE or the Zeiss 7x42 Classics. I'm unable to locate any locally for testing so I need some first hand input. The main use for these bino's will be specifically the Summer Milky Way (Lounge chair relaxation / I don't want to hear my kids yelling) scanning. I have a pair of 10x50 Swarovski's but need a 7 to 8 power to keep the shakes to a minimum. Any other quality low power/light weight bino experiences appreciate. JIM

June 5, 2002 09:26 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Tele Vue/Vixen partnership

Posted By James Weise

I recently spoke to the person in charge of Vixen N. America about getting the Vixen 125mm interchangeable eypiece binocular telescope. He told me at this time they don't plan on importing any of the Vixen Binoculars. He said that you might be able to special order them from various dealers who would special order from Vixen Japan. He said that unless theres a big demand it won't be somthing they will stock here in the U.S.

February 11, 2003 10:01 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Vixen 125mm 20x or 30x Binocular scope?

Posted By James Weise

Hi David,

I have the 20x125mm version and use to own the 25-75x125mm zoom version. I found the zoom version to have better pinpoint stars due to the smaller exit pupil and certainly it was nice to able to zoom on objects. I thought the Zooms magnification range was best between the 25-50x. After that image would begin to break down. I sold the zooms and picked up the fixed version. Stars do tend to flair a little due to the 6mm exit pupil but its not bad at all and because of the 3 degree FOV ( 66 degree Actual FOV ?) I actually enjoy the 20x version a little more. The way I see it if I want to really zoom in on objects I just break out my scope. I bought these bino's because at 20x magnification and 125mm aperature they are truely big bino's which I have spent hours just sweeping the milkyway and all the large open star cluster theres nothing quite like it. I don't worry about the color issue, what can I say it's an achromat and it's there but only notice on the brightest of stars. Another thing worth mentioning is that the mount is very easy and a pleasure to use, combine that with the 45degree angle of the Bino's and your always very comfortable (which is a very key issue in favor of the Vixens ). All in all are they worth 4K...I definately think they are the best value out there considering you get a $500 mount with it. JIM

May 7, 2003 07:28 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Takahashi 60mm Fluorite binoculars, Info!

Posted By James Weise

Hi,

I have a pair and they are excellent. 2 60mm takahashi Flourite tubes at 22x . There is nothing else I have tried that can compare to these as far as sharp, contrasty pinpoint stars other than a Tak FS60 at 22x. I have compared them to both the Fujinon 16x70 and Canon 18x50's. There is no comparison. I believe it is the best Astronomy bino out there under 80mm. And a bargain if you consider the Kowa's Flourite's are $3900 for a mere 22mm aperature gain. My pair are always set up on a heavy duty Bogen tripod with Bogen gungrip head. The Gungrip makes easier to view almost all angles except for straight up...Trust me you will get addicted to how sharp these are and dissapointed when you try to find a larger aperature bino with the same quality optics......

January 3, 2004 06:38 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Vixen/Orion BT-80's

Posted By James Weise

Hi Brian,

I had the BT80 last year and liked what I saw. Pinpoint stars and good contrast. The only drawback I could see is in the FOV ( but everything that I was viewing fit into the FOV)and of course there is some color but that is a given since its an achromat..both of these issues didn't bother me that much. I had it on the Vixen custom D and it was an excellent setup...In a way I wish I didn't sell it but I purchased the big brother Interchangeable eyepiece 125mm Vixens so I don't miss them to much...I had the Miyauchi 20x77mm and like those also but would choose the Vixens over them...It took me 3 pairs of Miyachi's before I got a pair the was collimated properly never had a problem with the Vixens .I would view the Vixens and the Oberwerks as 2 separate type of binoculars...The Vixens as more for object viewing given the ability to view at much higher powers. I love big binocular viewing....JIM