September 21, 2005 06:37 AM Forum: TeleVue

Telepod/tv85

Posted By Scott Anderson

Can it be done? Should it be done?

Scott

October 11, 2005 07:34 AM Forum: TeleVue

New focuser on Ranger

Posted By Scott Anderson

Can a new "better" focuser be put on a Ranger? A 2" moonlite crawford for example, giving the working equilvent of a Pronto. Are there other choices out there? 2" not required would be happy with 1 1/4" only.

Scott

November 22, 2005 05:35 AM Forum: Meade

Lightbridge

Posted By Scott Anderson

Well I might as well start it, What do you think of the the new Lightbridge scopes by Meade?

Do they have US optics? Do they have a good focuser? (not plastic)

Are they smooth in operation?

Are they available either now or soon?

What do you think/
Scott

November 30, 2005 08:04 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Mirror FL

Posted By Scott Anderson

Is there a quick and simple way to determine the FL of a mirror? I'm working on a small telescope and just want to rough in the approximate tub length.

I think I remember that you could use a drill bit and straight edge, but that seems not tobe the best idea to me. Steel against the surface could be a problem not to mention that I don't rember the formular!

Thanks for your time and efforts.

Scott

December 14, 2005 07:10 AM Forum: Reflectors

New to Reflectors

Posted By Scott Anderson

Well last night I finished throwing togeter a 4.5"reflector using just about anything I had in my garage.
Stood it on it's end on top of a stool held it with one hand andwas totally blown away at the image of the Moon!!!
I could not beleive what I saw. The stars were pin points, as good if not better than in my TV Ranger.
It has made me rethink what I want for as "keeper" as far as the debate of refractors vs reflectors.

Respectfully Reflective
Scott

December 20, 2005 07:56 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

What to buy

Posted By Scott Anderson

Hi everyone here's a chance to add your two cents!

What would you buy and why?
TV 76
TV 85
Intes 5" Newt-Mak OTA
Parks F8 Reflector OTA
I have a TV Ranger at the moment.
Thanks for your input and help.

Scott

January 10, 2006 07:57 AM Forum: Eyepieces

TMB 60 degree $99.00 eyepieces

Posted By Scott Anderson

Saw an ad in S&T this month, think it was Astronomic's for these 60 degree FOV eyepieces by Burgess? TMB? How good are these eyepieces? I'm mainly interested in the 4mm one. It has both TMB and Burgess mention in the same copy. Are they are made by TMB or designed by them and manufactured by Burgess?

Any comment about their quality and performance would be helpful

Thanks,
Scott

February 6, 2006 07:42 AM Forum: Reflectors

Johnsonian quality?

Posted By Scott Anderson

Does anyone have experience and or knowledge of these pop up scopes? how good are the optics along with the general construction and alignment of the optics in use?

The 8" one looks like a nice compliment to my Ranger. Any help(word of wisdom?) would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

March 7, 2006 06:32 AM Forum: Meade

Mead 5000 refractor/customer support

Posted By Scott Anderson

Well I just join this forum with a question about the quality of the three lens 5000 series of refractors I saw in S&T. But before I got to post this I saw the thread about poor customer support by Meade. It made me wonder if I would get any Meade product. Is it that bad? Are the scopes new or just reworked AR-5s?

Scott

April 26, 2006 07:53 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Skyshed Pod

Posted By Scott Anderson

Well whats the word on this company? The POD seems pretty good from what the information they have released so far. Could be a choice between the POD and going with explora-dome.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Scott