New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Scott Anderson

May 5, 2005 07:44 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Optics source

Posted By Scott Anderson

Allen,

I got one, a 6" F1.0. It needs to have the coating removed and redone. It is close to a full thickness pyrex mirror.

If you are think you can use I,m sure we can work out a deal. Let me know.

Scott

October 12, 2005 06:01 AM Forum: TeleVue

New focuser on Ranger

Posted By Scott Anderson

Just the thought I had later that night! Thanks for the imput.

Scott

November 16, 2006 11:28 AM Forum: TeleVue

Old Ranger Rebuild Project

Posted By Scott Anderson

Michael
Well, one reason is that the Ranger resale value is low compared to what is was new.
I think I would be more happy if it did have a "regular " focuser on it even a used one from Astromart.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Scott

April 2, 2007 10:22 AM Forum: Reflectors

Through with Discovery Telescopes (Long)

Posted By Scott Anderson

John,
Thanks for the heads up! I was seriously considering a Discovery scope and now I"ll go with somethng else.

I've read the whole thread and I think I would not chance the same, you were more than fair. I don't buy telescopes often and I don't throw out money. It is a hobby!

Thanks again and good luck

Scott

May 8, 2007 10:22 AM Forum: Mounts

DIY

Posted By Scott Anderson

Bill,

Richard Berry's book, "How to build your own Telescope" (I'm not 100% sure of the title, has plans for one that holds an F #15 6" refractor. The refractor has a wooden tube and the mount is made from mainly wood with a few pipe parts. I might just be what you want.

If you can't find a copy, drop me a line and I'll mail you a set of the plans.

Good Luck

Scott

January 14, 2008 12:35 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Nice Design for Split Roof

Posted By Scott Anderson

Peter,

I've just started design work on a hinged, split roof A-frame. It is based on two designs I saw in old Sky & Telescopes.
The first design housed a 6" F-15 refractor. The key to this design is not to split the roof at the apex but to move it down one of the sides. This prevents leakage of rain. The two unequal sections slid apart on rails.
The second design had uneven sections of the walls/roof, I don't remember which or both, open like a clam shell.
My design is a blend of these two ideas and because my scope is a 12" Lightbridge it will be smaller, no bigger than a 4'x8' footprint and around 7 1/2'
high. It will be constructed out of luan plywood for the A-frame's roof, backed up by a 2"x2"s frame. The bottom of each A-frame section will be mounted so it can pivot near the platform at it's outside coners. The sides will be T-111.
I hope this will help a little. Like I said I just started working on the idea today!

Good Luck

Scott

March 6, 2008 10:05 AM Forum: Audio

Your greater investment: Audio or Astro?

Posted By Scott Anderson

Astro by far!! All my audio junk is from the 1970's, except the Bose waveradio. That is the only thing I need other than one of those RIAA preamp for less the $100.00 from Amazon.

Scott

March 12, 2008 07:52 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Considering building my first telescope

Posted By Scott Anderson

Mike,

All good advice so far. I just finished my first dobsonian mount. I second the idea of sticking with a plan, Berry's or other's.

Just one point about the rockers and altitude bearings. Berry menions that one should build the cradle supports seperate from the rocker box for adjustments as needed. A very good point for sure!
I found that even though I worked both the bearing supports and box sides as pairs, when assembled the bearings did not make contact on all four pads (three pads did make contact). This made the scope rock.

The solution for me was to cut a slot,as wide as the bolt that held the low pad, down to that bolts position. This allowed me to adjust the cradle support. This eliminates a second/third or more guess to where it should be and if the adjustment is small one does not need to enlarge the hole in one direction.

Hope this is helpful.

Scott

April 11, 2008 08:40 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Digital Setting Circles Vs GOTO, Pros-Cons?

Posted By Scott Anderson

Jeff,
I haven't used DSC, been real interested in them though. Seems expensive for what they do.
I have an inexpensive GOTO mount by Meade. It works OK sometimes and other times not worth the trouble. The biggest thing that I see is that you give up the drive with DSC alone.

Scott

June 17, 2010 06:40 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Small scope mount recommendation?

Posted By Scott Anderson

John,

Just happened to be going through some old Sky & Telescopes, Oct. 98 has a small homebuilt pipe mount you might want to check out for your scope.

If you can't get a copy I'll be glad to send you a copy of the article.

Scott