Posts Made By: Wilson Beckett

May 25, 2003 04:33 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

10x50 Binoc. Swarovski vs. Leica

Posted By Wilson Beckett

Does anyone have experience with these binoculars or any recommendation of one vs. the other. I have been especially impressed with Swarovski's service. Is Leica's service as good--lifetime guarantee, etc? Thanks for any information.

Wilson

October 26, 2004 03:23 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Trouble Posting Feedback

Posted By Wilson Beckett

Hello Herb, etal.,

I just tried to post a (positive) feedback on Astromart for the buyer of an item I had for sale, but his profile seems to indicate that he never had any interaction with me to allow such a posting. From his original email to me, it appears that hus original response cane through the usual Astromart channel. Whazzup with that?

Wilson

October 12, 2006 10:33 PM Forum: APM

APM 20/40x100mm 45deg Binoc. Miscollimated

Posted By Wilson Beckett

Hello All (Especially Markus),

I purchased one of APM's 20/40x100mm 45deg binoculars several months ago. It is out of collimation. This is the current model, which is being sold on Astromart as we speak (http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=431725). I have tried to contact Markus Ludes about the problem with no response so far. I hope the thing can be fixed or replaced. If you have any suggestions, please post them. Thanks.

Wilson Beckett

October 13, 2006 11:35 AM Forum: APM

APM 20/40x100mm 45deg Binocular Miscollimated

Posted By Wilson Beckett

Hello,

I purchased an APM 20/40x100mm 45deg binocular a few months ago which arrived out af collimation. I have tried to contact APM and Markus Ludes about this problem, but have so-far not received a reply. I would love to use this instrument now that I have a decent mount for it, but it is impossible with the miscollimation. Please let me know if you have any suggestions as how to fis the binocular. Thanks.

Wilson Beckett

May 26, 2003 02:36 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Posted By Wilson Beckett

I was floored by how good the Swarovski service is. I had seen the new 10x50 SLCs at a sporting goods store with their very good eye relief, which was much better than my old 10x50 Habicht SLs. So, I decided to put the old ones up for sale on eBay, and then later discovered a haze on some internal element and took them off the market. Though it has been more than 23 years since my wife gave me the binocular for Christmas and I have no proof of purchase, when I called the Swarovski repair center in Rhode Island, they agreed to honor the lifetime guarantee and repair the binocular anyway. Naturally, I leaning heavily toward the Swarovskis.

June 11, 2003 08:52 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Posted By Wilson Beckett

Hello,

Just an update on my Swarovski 10x50 binocular that was sent to Swarovski USA for service. The binocular was returned today in new condition. It looks perfect. I am very grateful to that company and will be a Swarovski fan for life.

Wilson

October 26, 2004 12:18 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Trouble Posting Feedback

Posted By Wilson Beckett

I found out from the seller that he is an Astromart sponsor and therefore unable to give or receive feedback.

November 26, 2004 12:38 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Need Help Please (No response? Did I do something to offend everyone?)

Posted By Wilson Beckett

Hello Daryl,

A key consideration is the skill level of the guy's wife. If she is something of a novice, a 20x binocular might just be too much power to start with. I have an Oberwerk 22x100 that I just love, but my wife would lose interest very quickly in such a large burden. Also, finding objects with a 20-25x binocular is not so easy without a pointer. I made an adapter to hold a 1x pointer for my 22x100's and would not be happy without it. Attached is an image of the setup, FWIW. Perhaps a 12x50 or even something like a Pentax 16x60 ($249 at Anacortes) would be a good choice.

Cheers,

Wilson

October 18, 2006 01:34 AM Forum: APM

APM 20/40x100mm 45deg Binocular Miscollimated

Posted By Wilson Beckett

Hello All,

I received a reply from Markus Ludes today describing the proper collimation procedure. I will try it out as soon as time available and clear skies come together.

May 19, 2004 08:05 PM Forum: Polls

Do you like the new design?

Posted By Wilson Beckett

Thanks for including auctions with this upgrade. Or, perhaps this feature was there all along and I missed it, not be too observant at times. Many times an informed auction is the best way to determine a fair price for an item. As I recall, John Forbes Nash, the subject of "A Beautiful Mind," won the Nobel Economics Prize for his game theory work which proved this premise. Congratulations on the new Astromart!

Wilson Beckett