Bugatti Veyron v Eurofighter

Posted By Tinchi Lee

cool helmet too grin

http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/hammond-says-thanks-for-helmet-21895/

April 19, 2008 12:44 AM Forum: Politics

Should the Capital Gains Tax Be Raised?

Posted By Tinchi Lee

Lee Spain said:

One of the things that Obama mentioned in the debate was that he was looking at was raising the capital gains tax in the interest of "fairness." Currently, the capital gains tax is 15%. Bill Clinton had lowered it to 20%. Prior to Clinton it was at something like 28%. Would it be a good idea to raise the capital gains tax given the shaky nature of the markets and given that many people are dependent upon investment income in retirement?

abso-fraking-lutely not. in fact, capital gains should be exempt from tax. why should assets acquired with after-tax money be taxed again?

if someone wants to argue about acquiring such assets thru tax shelters and loopholes, and that the tax is to ensure that they pay their "fair" share of tax. fine, close the shelters and loopholes AND eliminate double taxation. two wrongs don't make one right.

yes i'm particularly bitter today because i just paid 8.375% of new york state sales TAX over $1300 of gas guzzler TAX. :C

May 2, 2008 07:26 PM Forum: Politics

Good article on outsourcing

Posted By Tinchi Lee

true perhaps, but it is not the shareholders' job to care about anything other than profits (and if the public sector start legislating around they are guaranteed to screw things up, but i digress)

besides, if you can't beat them, join them. since our company started outsourcing low-level stuff, everyone gets to work more efficiently and, in the end, everyone wins.

May 3, 2008 06:06 AM Forum: Politics

A Quiet Start to Fixing Our Economy

Posted By Tinchi Lee

credit card companies are sneaky alright, but one can play the game to his advantage.

a friend of mine paid off his student loan with a credit card account, earning 1.5% cash back outright. in less than a month (before the end of the grace period), he took advantage of those credit transfer offer which gives him 0% APR until the loan is paid in full. he did not charge a penny afterwards to this account and he has been paying 0% interest rate for the past 10 years.

i most certainly do not recommend this to the average joe, for they will be taken to the cleaners by the fineprints (the 0% APR transfer thing is a popular ripoff). but for the financially savvy, game on! 8)

September 20, 2008 12:04 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

taking the wife out for a spin

Posted By Tinchi Lee

i wonder if john mccain ever gets a lap from his wife:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/10/nascar-dads-how-about-formula-d-first-lady/

November 9, 2008 02:27 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

perserverance

Posted By Tinchi Lee

me want... NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DROOL.........

November 20, 2008 12:58 PM Forum: Politics

Big 3 bail out

Posted By Tinchi Lee

I quite like the Vette ZR1, and the Vette Z06 can be had for a very reasonable price with all the promotion going on. The 300hp V6 Camaro, at $23k base, is of immense value.
I like the Caddy CTS-V too. But even I would have to say a 550hp+ midsize sedan is nuts. (This comes from someone who has a 414hp compact sedan wink )
I wouldn't touch a Ford or Chrysler with a 10-ft pole. The Challenger looks and sounds good, but the SRT-8 costs way too much--I can get a stripper 335i for a little less money. The 335i can outrun the SRT-8 in a straightline, AND in the bends. That being said, I don't think Dodge interiors are as bad as people made it to be. I rented a base Dodge Charger the other day and the interior was actually quite good for its price--I'd rate it better than Camry. Even though it floated on the road like a barge, Dodge's RWD is still miles ahead of the FWD platform of most other family cars.
I'd be sad to see GM go under. The other two? Don't ask.
And can someone explain to me why Ford needs THREE crossovers? (Freestyle/Taurus X, Flex, and Edge)??? :S

November 22, 2008 10:31 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

The Grey Ghost

Posted By Tinchi Lee

Bruce Karbal said:

Here's a lovely photo if ya ask me wink

my new 2009 Z06

broose

Awww Bruce that is just showoff.
Is that a radar detector dangling off the windshield, sideways? wink
You think I can get a taxpayer's discount on the ZR1 if GM gets a bailout?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kO5gya7eN4

December 3, 2008 04:19 AM Forum: Politics

Just a question on the multitude of "bailouts and

Posted By Tinchi Lee

Lehman did not get a bailout.

January 30, 2009 02:47 AM Forum: Politics

Old school, new school, you pick....

Posted By Tinchi Lee

Companies that took bailout money should have no business in doling out big bonuses to execs--but bonuses for analysts are OK since it is a traditional part of their compensation package.

Companies that didn't take a cent of the bailout money (and the vast majority of financial firms have nothing to do with the subprime repackaging or the bailout) should tell the President to go pound sand.

Not to mention one dollar of Wall St bonus generates five dollars of economic activity for the city. EVERYONE benefits, even the sour grape uber-liberals here in this city do.

What part of "private business" do the politicians not understand??? Class warfare at its best. :C