New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Marc Zukoff

April 8, 2002 04:59 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re. Flip off roof observatory

Posted By Marc Zukoff

Hi,

I am exploring all options for a small backyard observatory. I am leaning towards a roll off roof, but was wondering what else is available. Does anyone have any sources for a flip off roof observatory? I figure the roof could be sectioned and flip off in the desired viewing direction.

Marc Zukoff

August 26, 2002 03:20 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re. A few questions

Posted By Marc Zukoff

Hi,

I will shortly have a small roll off observatory built in my backyard. I reside in N.J..
I was wondering what the best type of flooring would be? Are fans needed? How do people handle humidity?

Thanks,

Marc zukoff

January 5, 2003 05:21 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Re. Flooring in observatory?

Posted By Marc Zukoff

Hi,

Can anyone provide information regarding the flooring material in a roll off observatory? Work will start soon and I am not sure if the floor should be similiar to a deck for better ventialtion, or a solid floor. I will have a pier for an equatorial newtonian.

Thanks,

Marc Zukoff

July 3, 2003 08:02 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Sirius optics VFS ?

Posted By Marc Zukoff

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone was using this product, and their opinions.

Thanks,

Marc Zukoff

July 30, 2003 02:02 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re. Piers

Posted By Marc Zukoff

Hi,

I am looking for some reccomendations for a permanent pier for my soon to be built observatory. I plan on using the Losmandy titan and Tec 200mm apo. I am considering the pier-tech-2, ATS and Particle Wave pier. Anyone have any info or use any of these piers?
I am planning to build without a permit, am I nuts?

Marc zukoff

August 5, 2003 04:50 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re. Pier Height

Posted By Marc Zukoff

Hi,

Any suggestions on the best height for the pier-tech 2 pier I have on order. The stats: It will hold an 8" F9 refractor(68") on a Losmandy Titan. I am 5'6" tall, and want to avoid observing zenith objects on my knees.

Thanks,

Marc Zukoff

September 15, 2003 07:49 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Re. Pier Placement?

Posted By Marc Zukoff

Hi,

I am coming close to the start of the observatory construction, a 10x10 roll off roof. I was wondering where the pier should be placed? In the center, off set? I will have a large refractor on a pier tech pier with an AP 1200 mount.

Thanks,

Marc zukoff

Marc zukoff

October 3, 2003 09:45 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Location of observatory?

Posted By Marc Zukoff

Hi,

I am going to have my observatory constructed in a few weeks. I am using backyardobservatories.com. In any case it is the location of the roll off that I am trying to get right. I plan on skipping the permit, so I am taking a slight chance. The ideal locations in terms of unobstructed views would be too close to my fence line, and might cause the neighbors to complain. the other location is about 20 feet or so from my hot tub. Does anyone think the hot tub will cause me any thermal problems? It has a thermal cover on and is used infrequently.
Tough finding a spot when one has to consider the tonwship, neighbors and of course the wife.

Thanks,

Marc Zukoff

November 16, 2003 01:43 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re. Insulation in an observatory?

Posted By Marc Zukoff

Hi,

My 10X10 roll off roof observatory went up this weekend. It was done by backyardobservatory.com. They did a great job. Highly reccomended.
I was told that a layer of insulation on the walls and ceiling would prevent condensation buildup inside. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks,

Marc Zukoff

November 19, 2003 03:35 PM Forum: Home Observatories

My new observatory

Posted By Marc Zukoff

Hi,

After years of hauling out my equipment, I finally took the plunge, and had an observatory built. It is a 10X10 roll off roof structure. It was built by Scott Hortsman from backyardobservatories.com. It was a pleasure dealing with Scott. He and his crew came all the way to N.J. from Ohio. They spent the weekend, and everything was completed.
It is not easy to find a contracter to put up an observatory. See the photos.
The observatory will house a Tec 200mm refractor on an AP 1200. for now I have a Ceravolo 8.5" Mak-Newt on the mount.
Anyone thinking about putting up an observatory should give Scott a call. Highly reccomended.

Marc Zukoff