Posts Made By: Clifton Loo

November 19, 2003 06:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Baader Contrast Booster v. UHC/Ultrablock

Posted By Clifton Loo

Among the reviews I've read, the UHC/Ultrablock is the best nebula filter. How does the Contrast booster do v. the UHC or ultrablock? Is there much value added to getting the UHC/ultrablock if you have a contrast booster?

Thanks!

November 19, 2003 08:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Compare and Contrast!

Posted By Clifton Loo

How would you compare the Celestron 9.25 and the Meade SNT 10" in terms of

1. Optical Performance
2. Cool down time and other frustrations
3. Portability.

Any feedback appreciated!!

December 30, 2003 03:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Apo v. Achro question

Posted By Clifton Loo

Why does the achro image break down while the apo image remains shape way beyond diffraction limits? Do achro's show any false color on planets, or is the color just washed out compared to apos?

Other than the absence of false color halos, what exactly do you buy when you go from an achro to apo of same aperture??

July 24, 2008 05:54 PM Forum: Religion

Evangelical Manifesto

Posted By Clifton Loo

I think this is a nice piece of work, comments?

http://www.evangelicalmanifesto.com/docs/Evangelical_Manifesto.pdf

September 28, 2008 12:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Best Digital SLR for AP

Posted By Clifton Loo

My wife wants a digital SLR and are considering the Nikon D series and the Canon Rebel series, along with a Sony A300K. Which one is best for AP? Are they all about the same?

October 2, 2008 08:58 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Best Digital SLR for AP

Posted By Clifton Loo

My wife wants a digital SLR and are considering the Nikon D series and the Canon Rebel series, along with a Sony A300K. Which one is best for AP? Are they all about the same?

February 20, 2008 05:41 PM Forum: Investment Discussions

Interference in the Market

Posted By Clifton Loo

Yes, they should get burned. It's so well known the Fed will bow down to Wall St., Wall St. calls it the Fed 'put' - as in options.

If people really understood what was going on, they'd disband the Fed immediately. Only Ron Paul seems to have a handle on what's going on, that's why he got my vote.

May 28, 2009 02:32 PM Forum: Investment Discussions

Monetizing the Debt

Posted By Clifton Loo

Paul Kammueller said:

So today the Fed announced that they would be buying some $300 billion in treasuries. This is the classic "flood the street with money" solution. The Fed takes treasury bonds off the market, exchanging them for the Fed's own promissory notes, that is, Federal reserve notes, i.e. dollar bills. About the most direct means of increasing the money supply that there is.

I gotta think there's some opinions out there about this. wink

BUY GOLD!!

July 29, 2009 04:02 PM Forum: Investment Discussions

Irrational Exuberance case # 1.096E34

Posted By Clifton Loo

That's not particularly bad thinking. Conventional economic thinking says we will get big inflation b/c of all the fed actions + huge govt deficit which possibly could me moneterized (ie, the govt prints money to pay off the debt). However, there is a lot of talk of the Fed being about to suck that liquidity back in, but no one in the public has seen details.

Overall, RE is at worst a neutral bet, since we are at the bottom of the market. The worst thing that could happen is you won't make as much money as you could have, but you probably won't lose any.

September 11, 2009 05:30 PM Forum: Investment Discussions

Inflation vs. Deflation

Posted By Clifton Loo

Add to case for Disinflation:

1. FED claims to have mechanisms to soak up the excees liquidity - no details however.
2. Lots of Capacity utilization.

My take -

Next 18 months - act as if no inflation. Past that, act as if there is inflation, possibly very very bad inflation.