Posts Made By: Edward Wiley

January 17, 2004 07:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron 102 F/5 and 2" diagonals

Posted By Edward Wiley

Hello All:
I just purchased a Celestron 102 F/5 as a quick look/travel scope. I am just getting back into astronomy after a lapse of 15 years. I thought that as long as I was going to replace the provided Amici diagonal with one suited for astronomy, I should obtain a 2". I emailed Celestron to ask about 2" diagonals. They were a bit cryptic, stating that fitting a 2" diagonal to the scope could cause some problems with certain eyepieces. I see at least one person in the forum has had experience with the 102 F/5 and 2" diagonals. Could someone advise me? 1. Any idea of range of eyepieces? (I saw one message that mentioned an Orion 40mm). 2. Do you need extension tubes? 3. Any opinions as to relative performance of 2" versus 1.25", i.e., is it really worth it in terms of increased field of view? (I am assuming so.)

Many thanks, Ed

April 17, 2004 12:34 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Origin of Cave 3" Refractor (ca F/11) circa 1970s

Posted By Edward Wiley

Anyone in the forum familiar with the refractors that Cave sold as guide scopes in the 1970s? For example, are they Vixens ot some other recognized brand? I am sure it is Japanese. I kept mine along with a couple of Cave Orthos when I sold my Cave Cass many years ago . It is a great scope inspite of some minor damage to the tube when some construction workers managed to pull it over.

Thanks for any information you can provide, Ed

January 18, 2005 01:49 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Returning to hobby, information on CCD appreciated

Posted By Edward Wiley

Hello CCD Forum: I am returning to the astronomy hobby after an absence of many years. Back in the 70-80s I enjoyed astrophotography using my Pentax piggybacked on my 8" Cave Astrola Cassigrain. (I wish I still had it.) Can I set up a CCD system using 50mm to 200mm telephoto lenses and return to the fun? If so, can anyone point out some references directed to this end of CCD rather than the usual "through the scope" literature I have been reading?

I am thinking of my 90mm refractor (x-Cave guide scope) as a guide scope and obtaining a Great Polaris mount. CCD seems well suited to my needs as I will be operating from the back yard in moderate light pollution. As I understand CCD, I can get around many of the light pollution problems I encountered using film.

Many thanks for any advice!

Ed Wiley

April 4, 2005 02:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Edmonds GEM

Posted By Edward Wiley

Hello antique lovers. I am cleaning out my basement. I have an Edmonds GEM that I bought about 25 years ago as a mount for my 3.1" Cave guide scope for party viewing. I would like to pass it on to someone who might like to match it with an old Edmond reflector. But, I have no idea what it is worth. Mount is in excellent shape, with counter weights, no drive, and three long and cheap wooden legs. Any ideas out there as to what it might be worth? Anyone into Edmonds?

smile Ed

April 11, 2005 12:59 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Sky Window for my Binoculars?

Posted By Edward Wiley

I was wondering if any forum members had tried the Sky Window. I have a pair of Oberwork 12x60s that could use some support and I am looking at options for mounting them. Thanks for the feedback, Ed

May 15, 2005 05:38 PM Forum: Maksutovs

MN56 and Astrophotography

Posted By Edward Wiley

I was wondering if anyone had experience with using the Intes MN56 for deek sky astrophotography. I have read some reviews that indicate that these scopes have issues with bringing the camera into focus. Candidate cameras are Canon 300D and Meade DSI. I am thinking about buying a MN56 to fit on my G8. Thanks. Ed

May 28, 2005 03:30 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

First picture in 25 years, comment on Registrax

Posted By Edward Wiley

Hello all: The new "Introduction to Digital Astrophotography" book by Robert Reeves inspired me to give astrophotography a try after many years. Attached is my first effort (literally) with a ToUcam and a 6" Schmidt-Newtonian. Not much, but a start. I don't want to bore all with what is a poor picture by forum standards, but did want to mention that Registrax seems to work on my computer (XP OS) only when one has administrator privileges. I have noted this in several other programs. Just thought I would pass the information on in case anyone is having trouble or was frustrated. Ed

October 17, 2005 11:59 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Eyepiece advice sought

Posted By Edward Wiley

I have just returned to the hobby after some 20 years. Included in my "keepers" were 12.5 mm and a 25 mm Cave Astrola orthos left from my Cave 8" Cass along with a 3" guide scope I kept around for some casual viewing. Question: how do these orthos measure up to the newer generation of, say, Meade 4000 series Possls. Should I find a person who wishes to fill in their vintage Cave collection with some authentic Cave eyepieces, or should I keep them? Thanks to all who wish to respond. Ed smile

December 17, 2005 10:39 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

OM Lenses and DSLR

Posted By Edward Wiley

Hello DSLR Forum Members:

I am considering a DSLR for piggyback work. I am currently imaging with a ST237A using Zuiko SLR lenses. Its lots of fun, but I am limited to a FOV of 4-5 degrees. My research indicates that a Canon XT would probably be the best choice. But, can anyone tell me if OM-1 era Zuikos (50mm. 135mm, 200 mm) can be used with an adapter? And, where can I get an adapter that doesn't cost more than the lenses? (I have seen one adapter for $175, ouch!)

The alternative is to use my Super Takumars (circa late 1960s). I have several of these as well, ranging from 28mm to 200mm). Anyone had any experience with these lenses and the inexpensive Adorama adapter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays,

Ed Wiley

January 8, 2006 03:57 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Coulter 6" F/4 mirror, diagonal + looking for home

Posted By Edward Wiley

Years ago I bought a Coulter 6" F/4 mirror and matching diagonal plus a Novak spider, helical 2" focuser, and mirror mount. I figured I would make a rich-field reflector. I actually assembled it last year and the views look pleasing, but I am no judge of mirrors. I would like to get this entire lot into someone's hands who can take advantage of the optics and hardware, but I have no idea what I should ask for it. If any ATMs in the forum have an interest, I am also open for trading. Or, if the consensus is that Coulter 6": F/4 mirrors are junk, then I probably need to know this before selling it to the unsuspecting! Maybe someone can use the Novak hardware.

I'll be glad to snap some pictures if they will help.

Input will be greatly appreciated. Ed