My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Don O'Cain

February 10, 2011 03:44 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

C14 primary mirror

Posted By Don O'Cain

When you say the primary is out of line are you sure it's not the secondary,on the secondary and the primary there is an orientation mark and a number that lines up the primary and secondary at the factory,you could think of it as matching I guess.I just finished dismantling a C14 and I noticed this marking on the secondary and when I dismantled the primary the orientation was also marked.In my case it was ' X618 " with an arrow to the outer edge,same on the secondary. If I remember well you can see the end of the marking on the edge of the mirror on both mirrors.I do think they lined up.NOT 100 % SURE ON THAT( can't visualize it from memory )
Just wondering did you spin the secondary around when Hyperstaring or when cleaning the secondary if you removed it from the holder.
There is no way to shim the back side of the primary and it's mounted pretty tightly to the center light return tube.But that said you could open the OTA and with white dust free gloves move the primary to see if there is any freeplay at the center tube when you rock the primary east /west or north / south.I would be very surprised if it had freeplay but everything is possible.

February 14, 2011 01:20 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

another reason I don't like international shipping

Posted By Don O'Cain

It's really hard to get the shipping cost pricing under control,I have done more than one overseas transaction and they all went well but you never know what the sizing restrictions are in each country,the boxes are stuck in customs for up to 20 days and it's close to impossible to track.
Also I do not know if you have seen the rates lately but they are going up big time. Last week a Meade 644 flipmirror to Ireland UPS $143.00. ( OUCH ) .USPS $73.00 the cost of the part $50.00.
And the most important thing is that USPS will not insure more than $650.00 per box,so be aware of that.
Another example is UPS from or to Canada add another $85.00 for the dude ( Custom broker ) that pushes the box 10 feet over the storage room custom line,that one is totally ridiculous.
I hope our international friends understand that's it's not our non desire to sell to foreigners it's the logistics of getting it done.