My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: mike welsh

February 24, 2004 02:33 PM Forum: Politics

coincidence?

Posted By mike welsh

Been hearing a lot lately on the rise of heroin usage in the US. This seems to be due to several factors: Oxi and vicodin are getting more restrictively regulated, crack is getting expensive and its users seem to die off faster than the replacement rates can meet, etc. BUT mostly because heroin is getting very cheap and widely available in increasingly better quality.

i wonder why?

We are currently occupying Afghanistan, who's cottage industry, Opium Poppy farming, is enjoying a resurgence.

i seem to remember the last time heroin enjoyed so much popularity and availability was when the US was entangled in SE Asia and Laotian opium was pouring in.

What are anyone's thoughts as this is happening again? With the current War on Drugs at a fever pitch, how is this cr@p getting in? Who's bringing it in? Who's benefitting?

Thank you,
-mw.

February 27, 2004 06:27 PM Forum: Politics

Thought for the Day, 27.02.04.

Posted By mike welsh

"To do nothing is sometimes a good remedy."

-Hippocrates, physician
(460-c.377 BCE)

March 9, 2004 02:54 PM Forum: Politics

Thought for the Day, 09.03.04.

Posted By mike welsh

"The penalty that good men pay for not being interested in politics is to be governed by men worse than themselves."

-Plato, philosopher (427-347 BCE)

March 19, 2004 09:34 PM Forum: Politics

Still ripping on Clinton?

Posted By mike welsh

...then it's time to get a life.

March 25, 2004 03:00 PM Forum: Politics

Thought for the Day... 25.03.04

Posted By mike welsh

"When money speaks, the truth keeps silent."
-Russian proverb

March 30, 2004 03:11 PM Forum: Politics

Thought for the Day...30.03.04.

Posted By mike welsh

"There is no surer way to misread any document than to read it literally."
-Learned Hand, jurist (1872-1961)

March 30, 2004 03:11 PM Forum: Religion

Thought for the Day... 30.03.04

Posted By mike welsh

"There is no surer way to misread any document than to read it literally."
-Learned Hand, jurist (1872-1961)

March 31, 2004 01:34 PM Forum: Religion

Thought for the Day... 31.03.04.

Posted By mike welsh

"When you enjoy loving your neighbor it ceases to be a virtue."
-Kahlil Gibran, mystic, poet, and artist (1883-1931)

March 31, 2004 02:40 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Liberals prove to be short-term thinkers.

Posted By mike welsh

Well, Joe... that quote certainly sums up what Mr. Goldblatt thinks, at any rate...

What exactly are YOUR thoughts, though?

March 31, 2004 02:57 PM Forum: Politics

"There's nothing i can do about it...

Posted By mike welsh

... so i don't even think about it."

This is a direct quote from a co-worker of mine. He was talking with another coworker. This is a short version:

He was approached by the mother of a fellow who is Regular Army and has just been returned to duty in Iraq. Her son had been injured over there (combat or not is unclear,) and she wanted to talk to my coworker about his feelings about the current military policy regarding Iraq and tours of duty in general. She wanted to hear his opinion speaking as a former serviceman (USN, Ret.)

She was particularly upset by today's news (see link in earlier post by Tom R.) and was taken aback by my coworker's unawareness of the news (today's and in general) concerning Iraq.

When he told her that he paid no attention to the war news, she asked why. His answer is the title line of this post.

i find his answer disarmingly honest and more than a little disconcerting.

As citizens of what purports to be the "World's Greatest Democracy," is there TRULY NOTHING we can do about such things as how the USA conducts its foreign policy?

Or, is it desirable for certain factions to have the citizenry of this nation merely BELIEVE that "there's nothing i can do about it?"

And by extension not even think about it?

-mw.