Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Snowy Piliated Woodpecker

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: mike welsh

January 25, 2003 10:04 AM Forum: Religion

Babel

Posted By mike welsh

Yeow! Three new pages of posts! Mostly in the same thread that's been carrying for days!

Long threads are a bit confusing to follow... too bad there's no way to break it down beter, but i don't have the time, patience, or bandwidth to take it all in!

Sigh...

IMHO, there's too much of the Ad Hominem attack going on, and a paucity of discussion. Sometimes i feel like i'm witnessing a schoolyard squabble and not reading an intelligent discussion group.

There was a Bergman movie... don't recall the title, but one scene featured the atheist and the divinity student going to a bare knuckles match over the existence/nonexistence of god... sometimes that's what this forum looks like.

i'll quit whining now and come back another time...
Peace,
-mike.

January 31, 2003 12:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Anybody recognise this controller?

Posted By mike welsh

Which Celestron unit uses this?
Thanks!

January 31, 2003 12:09 PM Forum: Celestron

Anyone recognise this controller?

Posted By mike welsh

Which model Celestron takes this? Anyone know the specs?
Thanks!

February 3, 2003 06:43 AM Forum: Religion

Random musings...

Posted By mike welsh

Been away for awhile, so i haven't taken much time to thoroughly read everything, so if i repeat tired ideas or misconstrue anyone's writings, i apologise beforehand...

Immaculate conception/original sin/virginity of Mary...

All this implies that human reproduction, ie:sexual intercourse, is inherently sinful. Why is this? Granted the tendency towards wantoness and such, BUT, the reproductive method was purportedly devised by the Creator and therefore inherently good. Do you see the the cognitive disonance here?
We were charged by god to "be fruitful and multiply." How else did anyone get here?
It isn't important, really, that Miriam was virgin, whether Joshua bar Miriam was conceived in the usual way, or if he had brothers and sisters (i believe he did- something churches today say little about- especially the Church of Rome,) it doesn't matter is she ever or never had sexual intercourse- that's all a sideshow.

The Virginity of Mary (and, BTW, Papal Infallibility,) were codified (and ossified IMHO) by a very reactionary Pope Pius IX in the later 1800's, and really has no bearing on salvation.

So why the issue? (cont.)

February 3, 2003 10:26 AM Forum: Religion

A story...

Posted By mike welsh

St. Ausustine was walking along the seashore one day, lost in deep contemplation- seeking to understand the mind of god- when he saw a young boy playing in the sand.
As he approached, he saw that the boy had dug a hole and was carrying water in a pail from the sea and pouring it into the hole.
"What are you doing, child," he asked.
"I'm going to pour the entire sea into this hole," he responded.
"That's impossible," scoffed Augustine. "that hole is far too small to hold the entire sea!"
"And your mind is far too small to hold all the knowledge and understanding of god," came the reply as the boy vanished.

February 3, 2003 10:42 AM Forum: Religion

An Hassidic story

Posted By mike welsh

A troubled young man returned to his village after his years at university. He sought out his rabbi for counsel.
"And what troubles you," the Rabbi asked.
"Rebbe, when i was in university, i was a student of Logic," he confided.
"Yes, and so?"
"Well,Rebbe,i have leant that by using Logic one can prove or disprove nearly every point."
"Yes, go on," the Rabbi urged.
"Well, my final examination required me to disprove the existence of G-d, and i was successful."
"And this troubles you deeply," asked the old man.
"Indeed!"
"And by using this Logic, you can prove or disprove the existence of anything?"
The young man sadly nodded his head.
"Well, then," said the Rabbi, "Can you prove to me that you have no nose?"
"Well, yes, i can," replied the student.
"Then, do so!"
The young man opened his mouth to begin, but before he could say a word, the Rabbi reached out and punched the student in the face! He then said,
"So, what hurts?"

February 7, 2003 10:41 AM Forum: Religion

" So one begins to doubt..."

Posted By mike welsh

"I once read somewhere that it is impossible to break a man's firm belief. If i ever thought that true, life in a concentration camp taught me differently. It is impossible to believe anything in a world that has ceased to regard man as man, which repeatedly "proves" that one is no longer a man. So one begins to doubt, one begins to cease to believe in a world order in which god has a definite place. One really begins to think that god is on leave. Otherwise the present state of things wouldn't be possible. God must be away. And he has no deputy."

-Simon Wiesenthal.

February 7, 2003 10:46 AM Forum: Religion

Jesus said...

Posted By mike welsh

to love your neighbour...

He never said you had to like him.

February 10, 2003 06:34 AM Forum: Religion

Just curious...

Posted By mike welsh

Any Moslems here? Hindus? Jews? Jaines? Others? This forum seems heavily weighted christian vs. atheist...

March 12, 2003 10:38 AM Forum: Religion

Well...

Posted By mike welsh

Been away awhile, on a self-imposed exile from all religious discussion, but i gotta say that since "politics"
has been added to the topical heading, this forum has gotten MUCH more interesting!