Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC 5070 + NGC 7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: mike welsh

May 1, 2003 01:10 PM Forum: Religion

Serial polygamy/polyandry

Posted By mike welsh

Jonathan,
i'm curious about your frequent use of this term ("serial poly-".) Do you use it to refer to people whom you feel hypocritical (as R.L. when he rags on Clinton for his philandering?)

Or do you mean something else? Like you have a problem with folks who've been married more than once and/or divorced?

Maybe you've gone into this before, but if so, i missed it.

Thanks.
-mw.

May 1, 2003 10:13 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Baghdad snapshots of plain folks

Posted By mike welsh

Great post, great link, James.

Maybe all the fanatics are out staging demonstrations for CNN and Fox News? Hmmmm....

May 5, 2003 05:56 PM Forum: Religion

Re: And you thought ... good & evil?

Posted By mike welsh

Been following this thread and am reminded of a few troubling things...

The Deathcamp "doctors" didn't perform science -in any ethical sense that we may recognise -on the inmates. It was more a sadistic exercise, just one more step in dehumanising the undesirables.

However, there was one bit of science that did come out of it all, and this is what troubles me.

Everything we know today about hypothermia was learnt through "experiments" in which prisoners of particular age and physique were given fitness trainig and diet that duplicated that of the Luftwaffe aircrew. They were then dressed in full Luftwaffe flying kit and thrown into tanks of water of a varying temperatures and all effects unto death were duly noted.

This was to help learn how long a downed airman might be expected to live (in the Engish Channel, e.g.) until he could be rescued.

We (the world at large, particularly militaries,) use this data to this very day.

Is this an example of Greater Good coming from a Great Evil?

Your thoughts?

May 8, 2003 06:37 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Pot decriminialization in Canada

Posted By mike welsh

Canada's looking better all the time...

May 13, 2003 10:48 AM Forum: Religion

Thought for the day (5/13)

Posted By mike welsh

We despise all reverences and all objects of reverence which are outside the pale of our list of sacred things. And yet, with strange inconsistency,we are shocked when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us.

-Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

May 13, 2003 09:01 PM Forum: Religion

13 May, 1917

Posted By mike welsh

...in Fatima, Portugal, three children made it known that they had been visited by the Blessed Virgin...

The Lady delivered prophesies, many of which are to this very day said to be kept secret by the Roman Church.

May 15, 2003 03:24 PM Forum: Religion

Church of Rome

Posted By mike welsh

Roman Catholic Church:

Good or evil?

Why/Why not?

Thanks.
-mw.

May 23, 2003 09:45 PM Forum: Religion

Re: What do you think about 28 hour days?

Posted By mike welsh

One big swing-shift... just like the mills or interning at a hospital.

Remember a PBS show called (?) "The Day the Universe Changed?" (or something like that.) The episode i best recall concerned how the invention of the clock led eventually to the Industrial Age and all its attendant horrors. Great show.

Whenever i happen to notice that i've spent 45 minutes of my half-hour lunchbreak noodling on the Astromart Fora, etc., i am reminded of the "Tyranny of Time." (Or better, the "Tyranny of Schedule.")

Sometimes i wish i could work 4/10's instead of 5/8's... it'd be great to have a regular 3-day weekend, but the Powers-that Be would be sure that no one would ever get both saturdays and sundays off... (sigh.)

June 5, 2003 10:30 AM Forum: Religion

Moral Certainty... Thought for the day 6/5

Posted By mike welsh

Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.

All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them.

The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant, in this field as in all others. His culture is
based on "I am not too sure." - H.L.Mencken

June 7, 2003 06:04 AM Forum: Religion

Re: Verrry interesting

Posted By mike welsh

Hey Bill,
we all gotta do something intersting at work once in awhile!

Also one can often figure out regional weather conditions and moon phases from the number of posts on a given day...
-mw.