Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Snowy Piliated Woodpecker

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: mike welsh

June 7, 2003 06:41 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

The upper limit of my aperture fever...

Posted By mike welsh

My BFT, The Big Blue Eye. 10" f/6... in "traditional" configuration... Basically a reassembled Meade R.G.

Transportable, if not portable. Finally got it just about finished! Sorry about the low-rez...

June 13, 2003 10:30 AM Forum: Religion

God is...?

Posted By mike welsh

i'm curious as to how anyone here visualizes god Him/Her-self.

Do you visualize god as a physical being? Why/why not?

Could you describe for us what you see in your mind's eye?

How did you happen to come to this image?

i think can predict what that the Atheists may say, but i'm seriously interested in how the Believers among us may picture the deity.

Is it the Bearded Old Man as depicted by Michelangelo? Pure White Light? The Dove?

Thanks.
Peace,
-mw.

June 19, 2003 10:20 AM Forum: Religion

Thought for the Day... 6/19

Posted By mike welsh

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against its government."
-Edward Abbey, naturalist and author (1927-1989)

June 24, 2003 07:41 AM Forum: Religion

Thought for the day... 6/24

Posted By mike welsh

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
-Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

June 26, 2003 06:06 AM Forum: Religion

Thought for the day...6/26

Posted By mike welsh

"There are only two kinds of men: the righteous who believe themselves sinners; the sinners who believe themselves righteous."

-Blaise Pascal,
philosopher and mathematician (1623-1662)

June 26, 2003 10:37 AM Forum: Religion

Re: We will have to see if the story sticks,

Posted By mike welsh

Hmmm.
No, sorry. Not what i'd call overwhelming evidence.

i'm not quite willing to let W walk on this one yet. Let's just say i'm skeptical.

BTW once again: WMD's are Nukes.

BioChem weapons are NOT WMD. They are Weapons of Mass Terror.

Big airliners, truck bombs, ship bombs, etc. can be massively destructive, but they are not WMD's. They are weapons of mass terror.

Also, anyone hear anything more about the Baltic Sky (i think that was the ship,) incident in the Med? What are the Greeks going to do with that ship and crew and where do you think it was really going?

Anything else after all these months of the three radio-dark ships we were tracking as they circled aimlessly in the Indian Ocean?

-mw.

July 7, 2003 02:52 PM Forum: Religion

It was recently asked...

Posted By mike welsh

on this forum, in a discussion about the state of health care America, if someone could name one person who died because of inability to pay for medical treatment.

His name was Duane.

He was a coworker who took seriously ill in March, was comatose for about two weeks, and in and out of hospital until about a week ago.

His insurance benefits dried up. Don't know how, but he was put out of hospital for insolvency.

He died of peritonitis at home last monday. He was about 26.

i had stayed out of the discussion at the time because it had already become too personal. At that time, i could have named two people.

Now i can name three.

July 18, 2003 10:27 AM Forum: Religion

Re: Blair's speech to congress

Posted By mike welsh

Mr. Blair (or rather perhaps, his speech-writer,) certainly has the talent for providing the convenient and rousing sound-bite.

September 3, 2003 10:36 AM Forum: Religion

Thought for the day.... 9.3.03.

Posted By mike welsh

We should have a great many fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas, and not for things themselves.
-John Locke, philosopher (1632-1704)

September 4, 2003 10:29 AM Forum: Religion

Thought for the Day...9.4.03

Posted By mike welsh

My feeling is that there is nothing in life but refraining from hurting others, and comforting those who are sad.

-Olive Schreiner, author (1855-1920.)