My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Carpenter

April 10, 2002 07:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Things I miss in new format

Posted By Jim Carpenter

1. Text wrapping in "Post" and "Reply" boxes.
2. "Back" button on menu used to reveal the true location by thread title rather than just "Astromart Forums." This allowed return to "Message Index" which meant that after working thru a thread you could return to where where you left off.
3. Ability to preview message before posting.

I wonder if these can be addressed, Herb?

Jim

April 11, 2002 07:16 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Things I miss in the the format

Posted By Jim Carpenter

I posted these over on the Equipment Talk forum and was asked to move it here.

1. Text wrapping in "Post" and "Reply" boxes.
2. "Back" button on menu used to reveal the true location by thread title rather than just "Astromart Forums." This allowed return to "Message Index" which meant that after working thru a thread you could return to where where you left off.
3. Ability to preview message before posting.

I wonder if these can be addressed, Herb?
(Actually, it appears that #1 has already been done -- thanks!)

Jim

April 15, 2002 06:41 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Thanks Herb (and programmers)

Posted By Jim Carpenter

I see at least a couple of "things I miss in the new forums" have been reinstated. Thanks, guys!

Jim

February 21, 2003 07:16 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Re: And Tonight, Ganymede + its shadow in transit

Posted By Jim Carpenter

I caught it just as Ganymede was at the limb. The air had just enough turbulence to make it impossible to see Ganymede itself, but at first it appeared as a small bump on the limb, then grew into a larger bump over the next several minutes, finally separating entirely. The shadow was crisp at 120x in my Stellarvue 102EDT.

Jim

March 3, 2003 07:39 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

45* Erecting Prisms

Posted By Jim Carpenter

I posted this in the course of another thread and never got an answer, so I'll try again as a new thread...

Has anyone tried the William Optics erecting prisms? Just curious as to quality vs the other 45* erecting prisms that are available.
http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=4335&m=49
http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=4331&m=49

Jim

April 21, 2003 07:09 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Forum Location

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Why is this forum stuck way down at the bottom of the list, after the special interest manufacturers' forums? Can it be moved up with the rest of the general interest forums at the top of the page?

Jim

May 2, 2003 08:21 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Focal Length/Aperture Questions

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Being new to digital photography using a telescope as a telephoto lens I hope someone can enlighten me...when a digicam is used for afocal imaging through a telescope, what is the combined effect on "real" aperture considering the camera aperture or F-stop and the telescope's focal length and/or aperture. I know that photographic "f-stop" and telescope "f-number" are exactly not the same, but what happens when I shoot my CP4500 at any given aperture through my 80mm/f6 telescope (using a Scopetronix adaptive EP). The camera allows selection of aperture priority, shutter priority, full auto, or full manual. It would seem that using aperture priority would be best for control of depth of field, but how can one determine the effective camera f-stop in this case?

Then of course there's the issue of the camera's zoom setting combined with the scope's focal length. I assume you add the two to get the resultant focal length...is that correct?

Thanks,
Jim

May 5, 2003 01:47 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Up Close and Personal

Posted By Jim Carpenter

I'm still learning the ropes with my CP4500. Objects which appear in sharp focus on the LCD screen are slightly out of focus in the image. In this example, the dove's feathers were in perfect focus on the screen, but came out looking soft. Any thoughts?

This Mourning Dove was about 12 ft away; CP4500 + Scopetronix 18mm + Celestron C-90 (90mm Mak-Cass/FL1000mm).

Jim

May 7, 2003 07:58 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Suggestions

Posted By Jim Carpenter

As a relative newcomer to this subject, I find this forum to be very educational. I continue to be inspired by the photographs that are posted here. In particular, the DSLR pix posted by some of you guys are simply outstanding. The learning experience is greatly enhanced when photo postings include a brief summary of equipment used and exposure information. Many of you already include this information, and I would like to see it become the norm. A notation of location is also helpful, be it by city, state, or region.

I also find myself agreeing with the separation of birding optics and photography into separate forums, and add the reminder to the system administrator that this forum needs to be renamed to take out the "optics" in the title. And I again raise the question of why both the new Birding Optics forum and the Wildlife Photography forum are down at the bottom of the page with all the manufacturer-specific forums.

Thanks,
Jim (Denver, CO)

June 9, 2003 11:09 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Nisur Capella II opinions?

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Mike,

I briefly had a Capella II a couple of years ago but returned it. The motions were somewhat sticky, not nearly up to par with the Telepod or Unistar mounts. They did take it back with no questions asked. Perhaps they have improved their bearings since then.

Jim