My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Carpenter

February 25, 2004 02:51 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Best Camera for Digi-Scopeing

Posted By Jim Carpenter

I've had my CP4500 listed on Astromart for a week now with no responses (moving up to DSLR). Am I asking too much? (See #251028).

Jim

April 2, 2004 10:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Telepod head question

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Mike,

It shouldn't be a problem to use the off-center 1/4"x20 stud with the Telepod. I used the same configuration with a TV Upswing mount that I used to have with no problems. OTOH, a photo shop may be able to provide an adapter to convert. Bogen makes one that converts from 3/8"x16 to 1/4"x20, but not vice versa.

A friend of mine has a Paragon tripod that he converted to replace the 1/4"x20 with a 3/8"x16 stud for use with a Telepod. Unfortunately I didn't look close enough or inquire what was involved, but if you're handy with tools I'm sure it's not too hard to do. Perhaps someone else has first-hand knowledge of this surgery.

Jim

April 9, 2004 03:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Largest airline portable Apo

Posted By Jim Carpenter

http://www.stellarvue.com/115.html

Jim

April 16, 2004 02:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Soft Case for 5" Maksutov???

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Jake,
I have a C-5, which is about the same size as your 5" Mak. I use a soft-sided Igloo cooler lined with foam to carry mine. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it couldn't have been more than $10-15. Exterior dimensions are 10" wide x 18" long x 12.5" high, outside is a green nylon material, with zipper closure.

Jim

April 19, 2004 10:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

which bogen / manfrotto head?

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Donald,

The problem with any of the photo/video heads is that they're designed for the compact, axial load of a camera. A telescope tube imposes a moment arm load on the mount, and the photo/video heads that I've seen don't have the range of friction to hold the scope steady once you point higher than 45ยบ or so. If you tighten the altitude tension enough to hold the scope, it's very difficult to move the scope up and down smoothly.

I think you'll be happier in the long run getting a tripod which will accept a photo head of appropriate size for your camera, and a good alt-az mount like a Unistar (the Light would be fine if your Megrez is 80mm aperture, otherwise the regular), or a Telepod. My preference would be the former (Unistar light or regular). Bogen/Manfrotto tripods have a 3/8" stud at the hub which would work for either of the alt-az mounts mentioned, and perhaps the photo head as well. However, you may have to get an adapter to reduce the 3/8" stud to 1/4" if required for the photo head. That's a $10-12 accessory.

Jim

April 28, 2004 09:00 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Photography with Mak scopes?

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Hi Bob,

I had a CP4500 that I used for a few shots through my C90 Mak and Stellarvue AT1002 using the Scopetronix 18mm WA that screws right onto the CP4500 lens. I was never very happy with afocal photography and have since sold the CP4500 and replaced it with a D70. (Never got the hang of focusing in the LCD screen.) Unfortunately I've been too busy to do any daylight digiscoping since I got the new camera, but did get my first shot of the moon a couple of nights ago. I use the camera at prime focus with T-ring and appropriate adaptor for the telescope draw tube (refractor) or visual back (Mak/SCT).

Jim

May 5, 2004 07:34 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

solar filter question

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Tom,

I have to agree with the majority here on the Baader film filters. They are relatively cheap, and really cheap if you buy the film and make the filter youself. If you buy from Astro-Physics, they include instructions on how to make a filter using cardboard strips and sheets. It only takes an hour or so. Since you don't need a lot of aperture for viewing the sun, you may want to consider an off-axis filter for your 8" SCT.

Jim

May 8, 2004 06:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

C11 on a Unistar Deluxe

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Brian,

The tripod is the weak link. Even though the Bogen 3058 is a pretty gonzo tripod, you'd probably be better off with a heavy duty surveyor or Meade field tripod. As John suggested, talk to Larry. He's a real straight-up guy.

Jim

June 7, 2004 01:54 PM Forum: Refractors

Case for Orion 80mm ED

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Ed,

You might try rolling your own if you don't find a manufactured case. I use a hard plastic Contico toolbox from Lowe's, lined with foam, for my 102/f6.2 refractor -- should fit your 80ED with room to spare. The case is 25.5" L x 10.5" H x 8.5" W. I also lined a section of the lift-out tray with foam that I cut for a 2" diagonal and a couple of EP's.

Jim

June 10, 2004 02:28 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

remote release

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Mark, you didn't mention what type of camera you have, but you might start here: http://www.harbortronics.com/

Jim