My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Carpenter

June 14, 2009 07:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

JMI NGC MAX help

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Almost any encoder will work, but the easiest thing to do would be to contact JMI at www.jimsmobile.com They sell the encoders and related hardware, including the mounting brackets, gears, and wiring harness, and probably have a kit for your Super Polaris. I believe you can download the owner's manual if you didn't get one with the NGC MAX.

Jim

July 23, 2009 10:00 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Swamp Obesity Epidemic

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Lee Spain said:
2) You might be a redneck if this is your kitchen disposal.
Here in Colorado the water gets too cold for these to work off the shelf. By the time we wrap the
necessary insulation around them, they get really big.

Jim wink

August 28, 2009 09:54 AM Forum: Ham and Shortwave Radio

Icom R-75

Posted By Jim Carpenter

It will be a definite step up from the R-1000 (not that the R-1000 is bad, the R-75 is just more feature-laden and you'll probably notice it to be a bit better in sensitivity and selectivity).

Jim

October 16, 2009 11:38 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mount Recommendation? Stellarvue or UA?

Posted By Jim Carpenter

John Stark said:{snip}...Anyway, I'm considering either a Stellarvue M1 or a Universal Astronomics UniStar Light or dwarf-star. I would probably mount the head on a camera tripod so that I can make this as "grab-n-go" as possible. Does anyone have a preference of the stellarvue versus the UA?
John,
I have a Stellarvue M1 and M3E, plus a UA Unistar, Unistar Light and Microstar. Performance-wise they are equal except for the M3E and Unistar having greater load capacities than the others. The major difference is that the machining and assembly of the Stellarvue mounts is more refined, but that's an aesthetic, not a functional issue. You can't go wrong with any of them. If you're looking for the lightest weight, the UA Dwarfstar is probably the optimum of the bunch for your ST80. However, if you intend to keep the mount for a 90mm or larger apo the Dwarfstar may not be the best choice. I use the M3E (a discontinued item) with my 90mm apo, and my wife uses the Unistar with her 102mm achro.

Jim

October 23, 2009 03:03 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Maroon Bells

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Thanks for the comments, guys. I occasionaly get one that works...makes the hundreds of others worth it.
Jim

November 5, 2009 01:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Alignment of Dual Scopes - Need Ideas

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Works OK for up/down, but what about left/right? Slotted holes for the inner "pull" screws maybe? Either one would require a long dovetail rail and wide ring spacing to get the rings beyond the jaw for field alignment relative to the other scope. Also, you could probably get by with one "pull" screw in a crossways slot at the center and the two "push" screws outboard. Fine adjustments may be hard though as I've found that screws in slotted holes tend to creep a tiny bit as they're tightened.

Jim

January 6, 2010 09:03 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

The New Orion Dobs, a second look...

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Instead of the half-Dob base, they need to sell a set of rings and a cross-hair eyepiece so it can be used as a finder on a big Dob or Newt. That way the image orientation would be the same as in the big scope.

Jim

August 26, 2010 05:58 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Great Sand Dunes National Park

Posted By Jim Carpenter

This is a shot of Medano Creek, which drains the mountain slope behind the dunes and skirts the eastern and southern edge of the dune field. The creek is seasonal, and usually disappears into the sand before reaching the valley this time of year. The black sediment is ash from a recent forest fire on the slopes on the mountainside in the background.

September 4, 2010 01:23 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Another wonder of the Colorado landscape. The canyon is so narrow and deep that it's hard to find a location where you can get the scope of the canyon into the frame. Thanks, John.

Jim

September 9, 2010 08:23 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

New Mexico panorama

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Very nice, John. What software did you use for stitching?

Jim