From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

The Dumbell and Vulpeculae 14

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Carpenter

January 25, 2012 10:51 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Macro Shots

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Next is a carnation from the bouquet; same camera and lens.

January 25, 2012 10:52 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Macro Shots

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Here's a daisy from the bouquet; same camera and lens.

January 25, 2012 10:52 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Macro Shots

Posted By Jim Carpenter

And finally the potted bulb which my wife tells me is called a paper white.

March 4, 2012 07:05 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

My Family's History

Posted By Jim Carpenter

That's really cool, Christine. And kudos to the land owner for his care of the property.

Jim

April 8, 2012 12:13 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Chaco Culture National Historical Park

Posted By Jim Carpenter

This is the Pueblo del Arroyo, also located in Chaco Canyon.

June 8, 2012 11:24 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Squirrel

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Steve Mathis said:
Not all that wild, I guess. Probably eating something that I grew. Nikon D70 with Nikkor 180mm ED. He was so busy and content that I had time to go in the house and get the camera, switch lenses, and get back outside.
Nice shot, Steve. I can seldom get those little critters to sit still long enough the aim the camera and push the shutter button, much less go inside, get the camera, etc. The D70 is still a viable workhorse, especially when it has good glass on one end and someone with a good eye on the other.

Jim

June 23, 2012 09:38 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Rabbit!

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Lee Spain said:
Oh sure, I could be one of those timid souls who takes pictures of squirrels. But, I choose another path. I'm willing to go eyeball to eyeball with one of North America's most dangerous wild animals.
Far be it from me to call any of my esteemed colleagues on this forum a wuss, but c'mon, Lee...one of North America's most dangerous wild animals? You want danger? Try this one on for size. You can tell by his posture that he's poised for the attack. I got as close as I could with my longest lens, snapped this quick shot off (sorry for the poor exposure), and slowly backed away until I was at a safe distance, then ran like crazy, hoping I could hold my bladder. wink
Jim

July 28, 2012 06:21 PM Forum: Ham and Shortwave Radio

New KX3

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Yep, looks like an interesting rig, although all the I/O ports coming out of all sides looks a little bizarre. I look forward to reading your further impressions after you've been using it a while. 73...
Jim WD5BKO

April 27, 2013 09:41 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Yosemite Reflections and Moonbow

Posted By Jim Carpenter

I really like this shot, Fred. Someone here on AM (it might have been you) told me a few years back about a trick with shots like this -- reflection on water with a slight ripple -- Invert the image and it starts to look like an impressionist painting. I've taken the liberty to do this with your image, and here's the result. Maybe crop a bit to suit your tastes and print it on canvas. Voila, you've got a Monet! wink

April 13, 2015 06:30 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Carlsbad Caverns

Posted By Jim Carpenter

The next three are mainly in the Great Room.