My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Carpenter

October 25, 2006 09:37 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Fall at Fallingwater

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Autumn colors at Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater in SW Pennsylvania. Taken 10/22/06. D70 with 18-70mm kit lens; cropped and processed in PSE 5 to correct severe white balance errors in original.

Jim

October 25, 2006 01:16 PM Forum: Ham and Shortwave Radio

Ham Radio at Star Parties

Posted By Jim Carpenter

It's been too quiet here lately, so I'll start a new thread. How many of you guys bring along HF or VHF/UHF gear to star parties to fill the daytime hours, and what do you use for gear and antennas? This is a good way to test that go-kit for emergency comms or Field Day and to be sure everything is in good working order.

Anyone have photos to post?

Jim
WD5BKO

April 14, 2008 11:33 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Texas Horned Lizard

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Jerry's photo of the Arizonian lizard prompted me to post this image of a Texas Horned Lizard that I took last summer. These were common in the mesquite woodlands and pastures behind my house on the outskirts of San Antonio back in the 1950's, where we called them "Horny Toads." They have grown increasingly rare, and I hadn't seen one for 40 years or more until I ran across this one while we were camping at Copper Breaks State Park in north Texas last July.

Jim

November 13, 2008 06:29 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Autumn in New England 1

Posted By Jim Carpenter

From our recent trip to the northeast. First image is along Hwy 30 in the Adirondacks, NY

November 17, 2008 08:23 AM Forum: Ham and Shortwave Radio

Forum Name Change

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Since the forum name "Ham Radio Talk" seemed to appeal to a very narrow segment of the Astromart community, I asked Herb to change the name of the forum to "Ham and Shortwave Radio." My hope is that this will encourage others, ham and non-ham alike, who are interested in in shortwave listening and radio in general to jump in and generate a little activity on this little slice of the Astromart bandwidth. Thanks, Herb, and welcome to any new forum participants.

Jim Carpenter WD5BKO
Forum Moderator

November 17, 2008 11:07 AM Forum: Ham and Shortwave Radio

Frequency List

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Here's a link to some interesting military and civil aviation HF frequencies:
http://microvoltradio.com/high_frequency.htm

Jim

October 22, 2009 10:35 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Maroon Bells

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Here's a shot of the Maroon Bells/Maroon Lake taken a couple of weeks ago. It was a pretty gloomy morning so I had to do some stetching of curves, etc, to get to this point -- maybe a bit too far. What do you guys think?
Info: Nikon D70; Nikor 18-200mm VR @ 20mm; 1/10 sec @ f22; processed in PSE7

January 29, 2010 08:23 AM Forum: Ham and Shortwave Radio

Star Party Rig

Posted By Jim Carpenter

For my daytime enjoyment at star parties, I just acquired a Yaesu FT-817, which came in a package deal including an LDG Z-11 autotuner and a couple of spare NiCad battery packs. Although it wasn't advertised, when I popped the lid I discovered it also included a 500 Hz CW filter as well. I'll be trying some PSK-31 with it, using my netbook computer and a Signal-Link USB interface. Antennae will include Hamsticks and/or a trap monopole for 40/20/10 meters, all mounted on the roof access ladder of my mini-motorhome. I'm an old QRP'er at heart, so this little rig should be a lot of fun.

Jim WD5BKO

August 26, 2010 05:57 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Great Sand Dunes National Park

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Here's a few images from last week at Great Sand Dunes National Park near Alamosa, Colorado. The dune field is located along the eastern edge of the San Luis Valley, nestled against the western base of the Sangre de Christo Mountains, and is approx 30 sq miles in area. Elevation of the valley varies between 7500 and 8000+ feet, and mountains behind the dunes vary from 12K to 14K feet. The first two images are taken with a Nikon D70, and the second two are taken with a Canon G10. C&C welcome.

Jim

August 26, 2010 06:03 PM Forum: After Dark

Great Sand Dunes National Park

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Ooops, sorry guys, for those that saw the brief posting of images. I've moved the thread to Landscape Photography, the appropriate forum.

Jim