My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Carpenter

September 18, 2010 11:10 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Bryce Canyon - A Different Perspective

Posted By Jim Carpenter

It's been a few days since anyone has posted here so I thought I'd resurrect a few images from a trip to Bryce Canyon a couple of years ago. These show the canyon from a different perspective than normally seen. I call image #1 "Into the Depths," taken while descending into the canyon. All images taken with a Nikon D70 and the 18-70 kit lens.

Jim

October 21, 2010 01:58 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Northwestern Colorado Landscapes

Posted By Jim Carpenter

My wife and I took a recent swing through northwestern Colorado. These are a few images from that trip. The first is Wolford Mountain Reservoir near Craig, Colorado.

Jim

October 22, 2010 03:58 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Wasp Nest

Posted By Jim Carpenter

This football-sized wasp nest is in my neighbor's blue spruce tree.

Jim

February 13, 2011 05:51 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Winter Panorama

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Just playing around with some images shot last week with my new Nikon D7000. Here's a panorama taken at Roxborough State Park just south of Denver. I resized it down quite a bit, so I hope it fits on your screen (1800 pixels wide).
Jim

March 30, 2011 10:39 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Shadows

Posted By Jim Carpenter

While not a landscape image, I suppose this is the best place to post this architectural shot of shadow patterns created by the "sombrilla" in the courtyard of an art museum in San Antonio. I converted to black and white to emphasize the contrasts created by the complex interplay of shade and shadows against the white stucco walls and Mexican tile flooring.

Jim

October 13, 2011 04:20 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Alaska & Canada Photos

Posted By Jim Carpenter

We spent two months this summer driving up to Alaska and back in our motorhome (9000+ miles). Here's a few photos from the trip...the first one is along the Alaska Highway east of Haines Junction, YT, with the St Elias Mountains in the background.
Jim

October 13, 2011 04:38 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Tail End of the Trip

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Here's a few from back in the US, on the home leg of our Alaska trip. The first is Swiftcurrent Lake in Glacier National Park.

January 22, 2012 05:10 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Red Rocks Park

Posted By Jim Carpenter

I picked up a used Nikon D5000 body from a fellow AM'er a few weeks ago and hadn't really had a chance to capture any images with it, so I took it out to Red Rocks Park on west edge of Denver one clear morning last week after a light snowfall. Here's a few samples -- this is Creation Rock and the backside of the amphitheater stage structure, taken from the Trading Post.

January 25, 2012 10:50 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Macro Shots

Posted By Jim Carpenter

I recently acquired a macro lens for close-up photography with my Nikon D7000. The following series are all shot with that lens, an AF Micro Nikkor 60mm 1:2.8D, and the D7000 a couple of days ago. The subject is a bouquet of fresh flowers, and in one instance, a potted bulb. The first image is a rose from the bouquet. C&C welcome; I'm still learning and appreciate others' input.

Jim

April 8, 2012 12:12 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Chaco Culture National Historical Park

Posted By Jim Carpenter

We recently spent several days exploring the ancient Chaco culture ruins in northwestern New Mexico. The highlight is an amazingly large complex of ruins in a remote wadi known as Chaco Canyon, several miles from the nearest paved road. Chaco Canyon is believed to have be the ceremonial and trade center for an early people known collectively as the Chacoan Culture, who are the ancestors of the current Pueblo people of New Mexico. The first photo is Kin Kletso pueblo, located in Chaco Canyon.