My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Carpenter

May 11, 2003 11:00 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Another Muley

Posted By Jim Carpenter

This guy obviously hasn't been feeding in the same areas as your other Muleys...great work, Ty.

Jim

May 13, 2003 06:44 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Big Chief Squatting Buck

Posted By Jim Carpenter

C'mon, give a guy a little privacy at a time like that.

Jim

May 16, 2003 07:19 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Lunar Eclipse-05/15/2003

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Nice pix...glad someone had clear skies, as Denver was socked in solid.

Jim

May 31, 2003 07:56 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Marmot in a tree

Posted By Jim Carpenter

I've never seen one at a location with trees...they're always above timberline around here.

Jim

June 26, 2003 11:42 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

comparison

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Nice to see the comparisons side-by-side. What's the relative magnification in the 3 telescopes?

Jim

July 9, 2003 07:17 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

High Mountain Meadow Wildflowers

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Looks like a shot from a John Fielder calendar. Great depth of field. Wow!

Jim

July 30, 2003 02:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fluoro-Star FLT 110mm comparisons

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Hi Larry,

Many people overlook Stellarvue when considering an apo in the 4" range. I had a chance to do quite a bit of viewing through a Stellarvue SV102 at the recent Rocky Mountain Star Stare and the views were awesome -- color free, great contrast, sharp star images -- everything you would expect from a top-quality apo. The SV102 is an f8 doublet, but Stellarvue also has a 102mm/f6.8 triplet apo (SV4) that may be better suited for imaging. If you haven't seen the review of a couple of Stellarvue's smaller refractors (one an 80mm achro, the other an 85mm apo) in the Sept issue of Sky & Telescope, take a look. The reviewer, Alan Dyer, was very complimentary concerning the optical and mechanical qualities of these scopes.

Jim

July 30, 2003 02:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Connecting DSC's to PC to work with The Sky

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Jack,

I don't have an answer, but you might try the Software Bisque use group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SoftBisqUser/

Jim

August 20, 2003 12:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Telrad, Rigel, Red Dot.

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Floyd,

The advantage is in star hopping. I own all three finder types and here's my take on comparisons...

The red dot is best when used on a widefield scope like an ST80 or one of the short ~100mm refractors. Use the RDF to get in the ballpark, then use a low-power EP as a finder, then switch to higher mags as desired. Or use the RDF in conjunction with an 8x50 optical finder on a long focal length refractor or SCT.

It's a toss-up between the Rigel QF and Telrad. Many star charts and most planetarium software use the 4º Telrad circles for star hopping aids, but the Telrad is phyically large -- it seems to be better suited for 8"-10" and larger Dobs. The Rigel QF has the advantage of lighter weight, a taller profile for ease of viewing, plus the extra base and blinker that others mentioned. The Rigel has only 2º as the larger bullseye circle (same as the middle circle on the Telrad), so you have to use some guesstimating if you use a chart with Telrad star hop circles.

Jim

September 2, 2003 07:33 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Stellarvue binocs & other binocs questions

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Don,

Unlike the Stellarvue telescopes, SV doesn't actually make the binoculars; they import them and sell them under the SV name. There are some additional QC and perhaps some custom design issues involved. Binoculars are no longer listed on the SV website, but I understand they are still available on a limited basis. I'd contact Vic at Stellarvue directly for any questions regarding availablity and price. FWIW, I have a pair of SV 80x40 "Birder" binocs and am pleased with them.

Jim