New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John A. Maher

January 6, 2005 01:22 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: M42 - Orion Nebula

Posted By John A. Maher

Hi Peter,

You picture won't load shocked Maybe it's you, maybe it's them?

May I ask whether or not the Meade 3.3 is made just for the LX series or will it work on my Mewlon 210.

January 6, 2005 01:26 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Focal Reducers and the Tak M210

Posted By John A. Maher

Has anybody had any luck with Focal Reducers and the Mewlons. I am interested in what works and what doesn't.

Thanks wink

January 7, 2005 04:01 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Mewlons and Focal reducers

Posted By John A. Maher

Would appreciate any feedback on the use of Focal reducers and Mewlons with DSLR

January 7, 2005 02:28 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Focus

Posted By John A. Maher

I am looking for feed back on different ways to achieve critical focus with a DSLR. I have tried the angle B and found they really don't work ( not enough light). I have a car LCD that I like and although slow, the camera software seems to be the best. smile

January 23, 2005 07:09 PM Forum: Takahashi

Mewlon specs

Posted By John A. Maher

Can someone tell me the thread size and pitch on the back of a Mewlon 210. I am looking to add a focuser.

Any combinations that anyone else has used for CCD imaging would be appreciated also. smile

March 9, 2005 03:33 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Prism or Mirror Diagonals

Posted By John A. Maher

Which is better for higher focal length scopes.
I have a Mewlon 210 and would like to upgrade my Diagonal

March 10, 2005 05:30 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Proper posting and reponses

Posted By John A. Maher

Hi Herb smile

I posted this here for your feedback and others. I could not find the appropriate forum but felt I needed some opinions regarding this.

"I am sorry but the piece was sold" sad

There were a lot of responses in the first few hours of an ad I placed for a twenty dollar item and I answered them all. They were fast and furious, but I did sell it to the first person who said "I'll take it" I thought that was fair.

One guy actually reprimanded me because I didn't email him and tell him that he was "on deck and not at bat" as he put it. He was polite about it but still seemed offended. I did let him know it was sold and he turned out to be a really nice guy.

Maybe I should change my thinking, please let me know how you feel about this.

If I am selling something and people email me and ask questions and tell me their interested should I not sell it and tell someone who says "I'll buy it" they need to wait for me to check with everybody who asked and said "I'm interested" and then hope he still wants it. (It could take days waiting for responses not to mention my time for such a small item). I think if it was my Mewlon I might think differently but for items less than fifty dollars it is my opinion that the person who commits gets it.

I am open to suggestions as I do not want or like to offend anyone. I would have thrown the item in the garbage before I would have it cause someone grief. wink

March 14, 2005 07:46 PM Forum: Politics

Buy Buy American Pie

Posted By John A. Maher

The new Bankruptcy bill which seems to be on its way to law in my opinion shows, "just how bad things really have become". Liberating Iraq may have been the right thing to do but not something this government should be doing. The pot is calling the kettle black.

The level of corruption and greed in our government by both parties is at an all time high and sets a poor example for any country considering democracy. Not to mention filling the recruiting centers of terrorism centers globally. It doesn't take a neurosurgeon to see the direction, ask a child if you're lost.

This new "law" will open the gates for the already corrupt health care industry to take everything a person has worked for their entire life with one illness that is "not covered", not to mention killing small business. There's more too, but the post would be pages. I guess the policy makers see a future population problem and are hoping the older less useful Americans will chose to die and save their partners the shame of living in the streets. The younger less intelligent ones will be slaves to a fifty hour work week for corporate America. What's next Lord Vader "Halliburton gets the contract for the Death Star?"

Less useful and less intelligent are my best guesses at their perception and not my opinion.

This bill has been clearly bought and paid for by companies and is "not in the best interest of the American people".

Open your eyes America and VOTE: how much longer we have that right is up to you. 1930's Germany was a democracy too until one person changed the world. It works both ways. There is a small but steady growing opinion that it's not just religion and government that need to be separated but corporate payola and government. Get active the door is closing.

April 3, 2005 09:06 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

D350 or 20D

Posted By John A. Maher

smile smile smile smile smile

How durable is the plastic compared to the metal. The Camera could find it's way to the telescope when I am off but for my business the picture quality on either will do nicely. The environments that my business will subject the camera too can be a little harsh. My D30 held up very well and will be for sale if anybody needs one.

Is one better then the other feature wise for Astrophotoghy,

Thanks

John

January 6, 2006 09:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

DEW question

Posted By John A. Maher

Astrozap has a new product. A dew heater in the dew shield that I would appreciate some comments on.

I have very little experience with dew because my sites and scopes really never suffered. Well until I meet my new friend Rob who is a really nice guy that owns property in a very dark spot. The problem is that the dew there unbelievable. My Newt even dews up there and I would like to know which would be better and why: the heated Dew shield or the Dew shield with a separate heater on the tube for a 160mm X 530mm Newt.

Any other information regarding what to dew wink would be welcome

Thank you grin