My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Howard Platnick

May 15, 2004 01:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

2" vs 1.25" eyepieces

Posted By Howard Platnick

I understand that 2" eyepieces have a larger field stop and let more light pass thru to the eye resulting in larger TFOV and brighter images.

What about the 1.25/2" skirted eye pieces? Aside from the convenience of not having to change the adapter at the diagonal ... does more light get thru than a 1.25". Is there any other advantage?

For example the Nagler 16, 12, and 9 mm pieces.

Thanks in advance howard

May 16, 2004 04:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Finder scope for refractor

155 mm refractor, visual on alt-azmth mount, light poluted skies

Do I go with a straight thru and crane my neck for zenith viewing (and the maps a hard to read) or ...

Do I go with an Orion correct-image 9x50mm

www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=158&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=6&iSubCat=27&iProductID=158

clear skies howard

May 16, 2004 09:55 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Planetary eyepieces and AFOV

TMB AFOV = 30 degrees
AP AFOV = 42 degrees
Pentax XO AFOV = 44 degrees

Any suggestions for larger AFOV in simillar design?

The radians are 60 degrees but have many elements.

thanks howard

May 28, 2004 09:35 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Observing

What can I do to bring out more visual resolution/contrast in my 6" refractor. I am viewing at 175-250x without any filters. I do not see any of the detail people show in drawings. I'm in the NE with light pollution.

thanks howard

June 16, 2004 08:15 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

M56 in LYRA

I found M56 (globular cluster) using my 6" apo last week. I think the seeing was excellent for my ligth polluted suburban skies. My Star chart does usually list the magnatude of the messier objects but not this one .... what is it?

thanks howard

July 18, 2004 07:51 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Sky 90 and Solar viewing

Do I get:

90 mm Solarmax filter system

60mm stacked Solarmax filter system

or

60mm stacked Maxscope

I have a sky 90mm and would like to know which option will give the best views showing suface and edge detail, as costs are simillar.

thanks howard

July 23, 2004 07:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fix this - Thanks Joe C.

I purchased a heavy-duty alt-azimuth mount for my 6” refractor from Joe at The Binoscope Company http://www.binoscope.com/ a few months back. He manufactures and assembles them for 4-6” refractors and of course for binoscopes and big binoculars. I wanted something that was easy to set up/take down, had smooth operation, would be steady with my 25 lbs scope, and have slowmo controls. His mounts do all this and are DSC compatable.

The mount sits on a Meade field tripod and that is where the problem occurred. As can be seen in the photo the cast iron leg hinge broke. I did not drop or band the leg it just broke.

I e-mailed a photo of the damage to Joe and he forwarded it to Meade in California. They were surprised by the damage and thought it might have been due to a fault during casting. They had not seen a defect like it before.

I had to disassemble the tripod head and send it to Joe in Long Island from Toronto. Meade sent a new tripod head from California and it was repaired and sent back to me.

Joe quickly and professionally dealt with the problem and my mount is now back and functioning.

My thanks to Joe Costoro at The Binoscope Company.

howard

July 30, 2004 08:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Cleaning an OTA with butane????

I have some black paint marks on the end of my OTA from a filter holder (from Coronado). Can I use some butane (ligther fluid) and a q-tip or cotton ball and gently rub it off?

Any other or safe methods?

Also how does one take a telerad base off and get the sticky part off the OTA??

thanks howard

August 3, 2004 11:19 AM Forum: Binoviewers

8-24 TeleVue Zoom or Nagler EPs

I have a Baader and use 16mm Naglers (1.25 corrector) and love the views. I want to get some higher power views and was thinking of getting a pair of 9mm naglers. They are now on sale.

What about the 8-24 TV zoom instead? Any experince/advice. I mostly look at planets, clusters, and few DSO.

thanks howard

August 3, 2004 11:25 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nagler 4.8 vs 5mm ? differences

What is the difference between these two EPs. Big price difference!

thanks howard