My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Howard Platnick

July 23, 2004 08:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fix this - Thanks Joe C.

Posted By Howard Platnick

Here is a picture of the mount in operation.

howard

July 26, 2004 08:14 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Re: Double stacking a maxscope 40

You can go to the Coronado site and access "information". It has an updqated list of all product available in North America. If you are lucky, you can find where an SM40 is stocked and call the dealer listed. You can also call Coronado and find if they have shipped any recently. I was able to find one this way and have it shipped the same day.

It would cut down your wait by 12 weeks and you would only have to send the scope into them with your SM40 and wait 3 -4 weeks.

howard

August 6, 2004 09:46 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

EP suggestion for PST

Had the scope 5 days now and no sunshine to speak of. Peaked once or twice but in/out of clouds and low in the sky.

thanks howard

August 10, 2004 10:05 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST Double-Stack/Mount

I also have the PST/SM40 set-up and have just started using it. I have not had the chance to use the Maxscope 40 or 60 with/without a second etalon. I did not want the expense of the "better" system. From my discussions with others the PST with or without the SM40 is "great" value for the money.

I wonder if anyone has ordered two PSTs and made their own stacked scope?

BTW what is the difference between the adjustible ring on the PST and the small adjustable disc on the SM40? When I use both they seem to cancel each other out.

howard

August 11, 2004 06:14 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

August 16, 2004 07:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Need advice on apo refractors

5" apo would be so much nicer for that extra 56% light gathering. Price much higher of course. I like your plan but think the difference between the 10" cat and the 4" apo will be significant in terms of what you will be able to see.

howard

August 24, 2004 08:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

So have you discovered any planets yet?

If my light pollution wern't so darn bad, I might be able to see some contrast on the surface.

howard

August 24, 2004 08:36 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

First Light: Coronado PST, 2004/8/23

Of course a great bargain for now and at twice the cost of the PST I beefed up my scope with the second etalon to .5-.6 A for extra surface detail.

On the left ...

howard

August 31, 2004 07:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Telescope sizes: inches vs. mm

already do it here in Canada ... eh!

howard

September 3, 2004 09:27 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sky Atlas 2000

thanks all

howard