My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jason Lane

April 28, 2004 08:32 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

M42 - Orion Nebula

Posted By Jason Lane

This is my latest shot. A composite of 5, 10, and 60 minute exposures (manually guided) on Fuji Provia 400F. The image was taken with an Olympus OM-1 at the Prime Focus of a Meade LX90 8" SCT operating at f/6.0. Scanned at home and processed in Photoshop CS. I took care to try to retain the vivid colors of the brighter regions while pulling the faint nebula out of the shadows.

Enjoy!
Jason

August 19, 2004 10:14 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Lagoon Nebula on E200

Posted By Jason Lane

Slightly out of focus, but figured I'd share anyways. Still learning to use my Taurus Tracker III, and I suppose the parfocal eyepiece was a little off.

This was taken last month on a f/10 LX90 8" SCT. 60 minute manually guided exposure. Location was Walker's Pass, on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas just west of Ridgecrest, CA.

http://www1.iwvisp.com/opticman/astroimages/M8.html

Gotta love the ruby reds of the Ektachromes!

Enjoy,
Jason

August 27, 2004 12:43 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Rho Ophiuchus on Konica Centuria 400

Posted By Jason Lane

Hi,

I've been working on getting a good shot of this area over the past couple of months, and wanted to share my latest results.

http://www1.iwvisp.com/opticman/astroimages/Rho_Oph.html

This was taken with a Zuiko 200/f4 stopped down to f5.6 piggy-backed on the LX90 using Konica Centuria 400 film at an extremely dark site (mag 6.5 in the area I was shooting). I took two shots of 30 minutes each, and they were both manually guided. There was a couple on the Pacific Crest Trail who were camped at the site, and their mules were roaming free so I had company all night. The mules were really interested in what I was doing and wanted to talk about it. Nothing like hearing "hee-haw" all night long to keep you awake.

The grain seems to be pretty big in this film, plus my scanner has been extra noisy as of late. I compensated for noise and grain by using SGBNR, but I'm iffy about the results. If I can still see the region in a couple of weeks, I may try again on a finer-grained 400 speed film like Provia 400F.

Comments and feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Jason

October 28, 2004 01:10 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Lunar Eclipse

Posted By Jason Lane

Here's one hot off the presses. Taken on Kodak Ultra Color 400 using Olympus OM-1 at prime focus of an LX90 8" f/10 SCT. I haven't had a chance to scan it in and process it yet, so this is what Wal-Mart gave me on the photo CD.

The halo was due to lots of water vapor in the atmosphere...I was shooting through breaks in the cloud cover.

Enjoy,
Jason

March 10, 2005 09:07 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Calling out Optical Tolerances

Posted By Jason Lane

Hey all,

I've got a question about calling out optical tolerances. I'm curious as to what's considered easy, challenging, difficult, or impossible tolerances for optical specifications such as radius of curvature, thicknesses, surface irregularity and the like. For example, a mechanical (not optical) tolerance of +/-0.005" would be considered easy while a tolerance callout of +/-0.00001 (ten millionths) would make the machinist either say you're plumb crazy or ask you if you made a typo (depending on his mood that day).

Cost is a function of optical tolerancing, so this would be useful info. I understand that shop tolerances will vary depending on where you go, but what will typical make them go "oh this is cake" and what will make them go "ouch! how big is your budget?"

Thanks!
Jason

July 30, 2005 11:13 AM Forum: Telescope Making

A way to clean rouge off that works very well

Posted By Jason Lane

Hello all,

I don't know if this is even an issue, but I thought I might let everyone know...

I just got an unfinished 8" mirror kit in mail which the seller had started polishing but never finished. Since he used red rouge as the polish, the sides of the blank were red from the rouge that didn't come off. When I tried soap and warm water, it only removed enough to stain my fingers red. smile

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but I grabbed a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, wet it under the faucet and gave the sides of the blank a good scrubbing. Pulled the rouge right off! The blank looks as clean as the day it was made.

This should work quickly for cleaning any surface, although of course it won't get the rouge out of clothes.

Hope this helps,
Jason

August 10, 2005 01:40 PM Forum: Refractors

Focal length of Vixen 120mm f/8.3 *objective only*

Posted By Jason Lane

Hello all,

The subject title pretty much says it all. I am using the objective lens from a Vixen 120mm f/8.3 scope as a collimating lens in an optical setup. The scope itself of course has a focal length of 996 mm, but the scope also has some additional (corrective?) optics towards the back of the OTA. So what I'm wondering is...does anybody know what the focal length of the *objective lens* itself is?

I have estimated it to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 46.5 +/- 1.0 inches. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows what the exact number is for sure (back focal length would be great).

Thanks!
Jason

September 24, 2005 07:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

If someone you knew was buying a new Losmandy G-11...

Posted By Jason Lane

...what would you recommend them get in addition to the mount?

Besides a polar scope, dovetail plate for the optics, tripod, and the tube rings. Assume they are buying the Gemini GOTO as well.

In other words, what "stuff" would be a good idea to get along with the mount itself? Motor covers, doo-dads, voltage, etc.

Thanks!
Jason

December 9, 2005 04:03 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Re: LATEST PGRADES Re: NEW DESIGN FOR TELESCOPES!!

Posted By Jason Lane

My favorite question posted: Will my 1.25 inch eye pieces work with your telescope? who posted that one? I'm still laughing.

January 12, 2006 03:14 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Older shots ('04 Lunar Eclipse)

Posted By Jason Lane

Something to look at while the moon is full..

These are from last year's October Lunar Eclipse.

The first one is a composite of two exposures, and I combined them to reproduce what I saw in the eyepiece. This is really close to what it looked like using my eyeball and scope. The haze is due to weather conditions at the time...clouds and kind of hazy. In fact, there were some raindrops coming down as I set up the scope. Fortunately only a few. I got a lucky break through the clouds partway through the eclipse and was able to get these shots in.

27 October 2004, 7:45 PM
Olympus OM-1 on LX90 @ f/10 (Cassegrain Focus)
Kodak Ultra Color 400 Color Negative Film
2s exposure and 1/250s exposure