My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jason Lane

February 26, 2007 01:10 AM Forum: Telescope Making

What Do Amateurs Do For a Living?

Posted By Jason Lane

I'm an optical engineer. Thing is, I tend not to sit behind the desk all day. That includes getting into the machine shop at work, or doing other technician stuff. I bet you'll find the common link is folks who don't mind getting their hands dirty..ie DIY'ers.

-Jason

February 28, 2007 09:54 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

art opening and star party

Posted By Jason Lane

Hey David,

Pretty cool. I live near Ridgecrest (Inyokern) so I'll check it out.

-Jason

March 15, 2007 05:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mirror re-coating in California?

Posted By Jason Lane

Check with L&L Optical. They are in Mission Viejo. Very good coatings.

http://www.landloptical.com/

-Jason

March 21, 2007 04:22 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Revisiting some old shots - With a New Scanner.

Posted By Jason Lane

Hi Kevin,

I just bought a V700 as well and must say that I am impressed with it so far. I did discover that I will need a larger-capacity hard drive. smile

-Jason

April 18, 2007 06:46 AM Forum: Politics

Bailout Outrage

Posted By Jason Lane

I have a friend in San Diego who watches a website that lists foreclosures in that area. He says the list just grows and grows. The real losers will be first-time buyers who will learn finances the very hard way.

-Jason

November 12, 2004 11:08 PM Forum: Polls

Most important technological advancement of the last century

Posted By Jason Lane

Ironic to think, but the invention of the transistor was delayed about 35 years by the invention of the vacuum tube. People were tinkering with semiconductors (crystal diodes) in the 20s, but serious research was halted when the tube gained prominence.

There were so many important advances in the 20th century (and 19th century), I wonder if people can keep up the pace in the 21st.

-Jason

January 16, 2007 11:21 PM Forum: Polls

Win the SUPER BOWL

Posted By Jason Lane

The media hates the Bears, by the way. The problem is as much the offensive line's than it is Grossman. When their offensive line is doing good, then Grossman does good.

Well I thought it'd be San Diego beating New Orleans, but with that loss I give the nod to N.O. I think their heart is in it more than any other team, and that's going to count for a lot.

-Jason

January 25, 2007 04:22 AM Forum: Polls

Win the SUPER BOWL

Posted By Jason Lane

Glad to see that I get to eat my words. GO BEARS!

-Jason

October 24, 2020 08:10 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Wide Field Cygnus on 4" x 5" Provia 100F

Posted By Jason Lane

Hi,

I used to moderate this forum last decade, but then took a long hiatus from astrophotography.  

Recently I mounted a Bausch & Lomb 24” f/6.0 aerial reconnaissance lens on my telescope mount, and shot some 4x5 Provia 100F.  The film expired in 2005 but has been kept in the freezer and is still good as new.  I don't think the jpeg compression of the scans does the image justice, but the TIF is too large to upload.smile

Widefield Cygnus

Pic of the rig

The business end:

The film back that I hacked onto the tube.

October 24, 2020 08:12 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Wide Field Cygnus on 4" x 5" Provia 100F

Posted By Jason Lane

(deleted .. collected the photos into first post)