Posts Made By: Jason Lane

February 18, 2004 04:29 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

First decent prime focus, M42

Posted By Jason Lane

Hi David,

Nice picture! I really like Provia 400 for astrophotography, although not quite as ruby red as E200 (not necessarily a bad thing). If you took that in Death Valley, are you from around the area or were you just visiting? I ask because I hail from Ridgecrest.

-Jason
http://www1.iwvisp.com/opticman/astroimages.html

March 17, 2004 04:30 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

M42

Posted By Jason Lane

Nice shot, Robert! Definitely worth getting a higher-res scan. If you are going to continue getting shots like this one, think about investing in your own slide scanner. If you have a short exposure image (ie 5 - 10 minutes), you may want to consider combining it with this one to show the detail that is missing in the burned-out core of the nebula.

It's a keeper!

-Jason

April 28, 2004 03:16 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Film for Venus Transit

Posted By Jason Lane

I'd recommend a faster film for finer grain. Try a professional slide film in the 50-100 speed range.

-Jason

August 15, 2004 03:23 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

How do you shoot a whole roll?

Posted By Jason Lane

Hi Bob,

Try storing the camera in a couple layers of ziploc bags in the refridgerator between use. That or you can take up daytime photography like I did to use up those spare frames smile

My wife and I just bought a desktop semi-automatic film processor so we'll have our own darkroom. Much better and faster than the two week turn-around that slide film requires to get sent out and returned. I'll probably end up clipping off and developing a few frames at a time since it takes so long to use up a roll of 36 exp shooting astrophotos.

-Jason

August 31, 2004 02:47 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Scanner Question

Posted By Jason Lane

Check out this review

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%204870/page_1.htm

Cheers,
Jason

October 20, 2004 12:10 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Milky Way - Lagoon Nebula

Posted By Jason Lane

Great shot..is this with the Zuiko lens? I love mine...it is a very good lens. Not too many out there that you can shoot good astrophotos with when the lens is wide open and not have to pay a fortune for.

Cheers,
Jason

October 21, 2004 02:47 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Anyone using Fuji Astia, Provia, Sensia here?

Posted By Jason Lane

Provia 400F is one of the best films out there for astrophotography. Here's an example:

http://www1.iwvisp.com/opticman/astroimages/M42_031004.html

Also check out the Astrophotography Mailing List (APML) archives (do a Google search).

Cheers,
Jason

October 21, 2004 11:16 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade Buys Coronado? Good Grief!

Posted By Jason Lane

I'll probably get my head chewed off, but I don't see the reason for all the negative reaction. Meade is a successful optics/telescope company which has introduced countless numbers of people to the hobby through their affordable products. Why does that make them bad? Is everyone saying that they'd rather see Coronado products disappear forever rather than this? That would have been the alternative.

Cheers,
Jason

November 7, 2004 06:31 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Crab Nebula

Posted By Jason Lane

Very nice, Brian.

I like the color on the nebula

Cheers,
Jason

December 9, 2004 04:31 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

North America Nebula

Posted By Jason Lane

Very nice. How does this compare to your original processing attempt?