My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Larry Thaxton

June 8, 2009 01:16 AM Forum: Takahashi

Tak FS-78 ADAPTER

Posted By Larry Thaxton

I HAVE AN FS-78 AND LOVE IT! RECENTLY I PICKED UP A LUNT 75MM Ha FILTER AND FIND I CANNOT REACH FOCUS WITH ALL OF THE EYEPIECES I OWN- INCLUDING AN 18MM C-MAX. I HAVE AN OLDER 2" ADAPTER AND AM WONDERING IF THE TAK-TOA0040 IS SHORTER. MINE IS 1.77" OVERALL LENGTH. A 1.25" SET UP WOULD BE FINE TOO.

June 10, 2009 02:32 AM Forum: Refractors

Nikon 6.5cm ED APO

Posted By Larry Thaxton

Just arrived from Japan: a Nikon 6.5cm ED APO with original mount and Nikon .965"diagonal from 10cm ED. It is more beautiful in person than in pictures. Waiting with an FC-60 and FS-78 to do a run with Saturn.

June 24, 2009 01:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Who Already has Their Dream Scope?

Posted By Larry Thaxton

For years I tried various scopes looking for two or three - one could not do it all - scopes to cover the "perfect" planetary, travel/DSO and grab-and-go scopes. Looks like I have them, actually too many of them:

Planetary: TMB 175, Tak FS-152 and Royce Dall-Kirkham 10" F/20

Travel/DSO: 12.5" Portaball

G&G: Tak FC-78 on Vixen Great Polaris (soon to be an FC-100)

Now I have to cut back a little as I have more than I need and while I enjoy them all, can not use each enough to justify having them sitting around. It would be interesting to know who else has "arrived" and why?

August 9, 2009 04:36 PM Forum: Takahashi

TSC-225 Questions

Posted By Larry Thaxton

I have a chance to pick up a TSC-225 from a friend in Japan. It does not include the dew shield (after market will have to do for now) or the fan, both of which were apparently optional at the time the scopes were in production. Anyone have a recommendation for either?

Thanks! Love Takahashi scopes!!

August 30, 2009 12:33 AM Forum: Takahashi

TSA-120?

Posted By Larry Thaxton

A friend in Japan mentioned that Takahashi debuted a TSA-120. Maybe a TSA 210 one day as well?

He also mentioned Nikon showing a prototype astronomical eyepiece. Not known if they will make it into production.

August 30, 2009 12:40 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Nikon Eyepieces on the Horizon??

Posted By Larry Thaxton

A friend in Japan sent along an enticing bit of information:

"Nikon revealed some prototype eyepieces for astronomical telescopes. However, Nikon doesn't decide yet if they will sell the eyepieces."

Maybe time to start a write in campaign?!!

September 5, 2009 01:42 PM Forum: Takahashi

TSC-225 Request for Pictures

Posted By Larry Thaxton

Well the TSC-225 arrive in excellent condition. Seeing was crappy here last night as we are experiencing a heat wave and the air is quite unstable. And I have to set up the NJP to hold the Vixen-style rail on the TSC (bought an ADM Losmandy/Vixen adapter). But i did look at collimation and it seems just about perfect even after the ride over from JApan.

Anyway, back to the question- can anyone who has a TSC-225 send me a picture or two of the fan and filter set up? I want to put together as close a copy as possible and will have a machinist make the necessary parts. But it would help to see what the originals looked like. THANKS!!!

Larry

September 5, 2009 06:44 PM Forum: Takahashi

Pictures of New-to-me TSC-225

Posted By Larry Thaxton

A few pictures of the fresh-in 225

October 1, 2009 12:04 AM Forum: Takahashi

FCT-125

Posted By Larry Thaxton

I may have a chance to buy a Tak FCT-125 triplet but have no idea what it might be worth. A search of AM classifieds resulted in nothing of help. Any thoughts?

October 25, 2009 01:53 PM Forum: Takahashi

TSC-225 Owners: New Fan arrived!

Posted By Larry Thaxton

After graciously being loaned an original Tak TSC-225 cooling fan, I took many pictures and measurements and sent them off to machinist Jon Savelle. The unit he fabricated just arrived and it works like a champ. A few minor changes were necessary as I could not find the same fan, but it is REALLY close. I'll post a few pictures.