Posts Made By: robert cosgrove

February 20, 2004 03:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Schmidt-Newt Collimation

Posted By robert cosgrove

I've just purchased an SN-8 on Astromart...and i'm wondering if anyone can recomend a really good laser collimator to use with my cheshire? I've heard time and again that you must be really precise for optimal performance on a fast scope....any suggestions would be appreciated!

February 20, 2004 03:56 PM Forum: Eyepieces

My first 2"

I have two scopes with 2" focusers....what would be the first, best size for my first 2" eyepiece? I was considering the UO 2" 32mm Konig since i'm missing that size(I just sold my 1.25" 40mm Plossl).

Stellarvue AT1010 Refractor
Meade Schmidt-Newt F/4

Any advice would be appreciated as usual!

Rob Cos.

February 29, 2004 04:26 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Astromart Advice..

Hi all, i'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this....but how long should one give a seller to actually mail the item?

They took an unexpected trip overseas the day after I confirmed the deal and was gone for a week(returning a week ago)...after I was told it was ready to ship...I've since been told alternatively that it's packed and ready --->and it still needs to be packed....

also, "i'll give you the fedex number today, tomorrow at worst"...I've saved all emails and the individual has been inconsistent at best...yet the great rating makes me hang on.....

Any advice? I'm about to demand the money back...as I'm apprehensive about what i'm getting at this point due to the long delay. I confirmed the deal on 2-15.....

Remember, they've got a great rating and my gut says to trust him...but I can only take so much...--->Just tell me the truth and I can wait as long as is needed!

March 3, 2004 04:21 PM Forum: Eyepieces

2" eyepieces question

If someone could clear this up for me....I've been using 1.25"
eyepieces since I started observing about a year ago...my question
is...what is the advantage of a 2" eyepiece? I've yet to see a true
explanation on this subject. Is it just the aesthetic porthole
effect? Or is there a true visual advantage to them?

For example, if a 22mm 1.25" has a FOV of 52 degrees and it's 2"
counterpart has the same FOV...where's the advantage?

Any help would be appreciated!

Rob Cos.

March 4, 2004 02:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion Atlas EQ mount

Does anyone have any information on this mount? Orion says it has a load capacity of 40lbs.....at $799.00 i'm rather curious....as right now I have the Meade LXD55 mount....

March 20, 2004 10:49 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Where to turn? Need advice if possible.....

I'm stuck. I asked advice here a while back on a transaction while it was delayed in being shipped to me....the package has since arrived damaged and was returned....payment was promised and i've yet to see it....or hear from the individual(I already know he checks his email while here or away on business).

Here's the timeline to give you an idea of what i'm up against....Excerpts from his emails and my narration to you-i'll be in CAPS while I narrate-his comments are directly from his emails...

"I've got it all cleaned up & boxed up and ready to go" 2-15

WE SEAL THE DEAL ON 2-15 AS RESULT OF MY INQUIRY.....BUT A DAY LATER...

"Sorry for the delay in responding, but a work emergency came up...
Right now I'm sitting in a hotel room in London (England" 2-16

I PAID HIM WHILE HE WAS AWAY IN GOOD FAITH BASED ON HIS RATINGS-HIS RESPONSE:

"I appreciate that, it certainly could have waited until I got back. I'll get it shipped first thing Monday" 2-18

HE’S BACK FROM HIS TRIP A WEEK LATER:

"I'm going home a bit early today, both because I'm tired & jet lagged, and to finalize the packing and get the scope shipped to you." 2-23

I DON'T HEAR FROM HIM FOR THREE DAYS.....

"I'll have a FedEx # for you today" 2-26

FINALLY MAILS THE ITEM FIVE DAYS LATER THAN HIS LAST EMAIL:

"Tracking # is" 3-1

SCOPE ARRIVES DAMAGED AND WE ARRANGE RETURN QUICKLY BECUASE HE'S GOING AWAY AGAIN(AND HE'D LIKE TO GET IT OVER WITH BEFORE HE LEAVES)….....

HE SAYS HE’S RETURNING THE MONEY THAT DAY AND I NEVER HEAR FROM HIM AGAIN.

"I'll be refunding you the PayPal payment today." 3-8

"Was on planes all morning, and am in Austin, Texas right now. Will write more a bit later." 3-9………………

IT'S NOW 3-20 AND I HAVEN'T HEARD A THING......

Any advice would be appreciated..this person i'm dealing with has good prior ratings..so I don't want to be rash..but at this point there's a fine line between rash and stupidity.

I'm sorry this was so long, but I couldn't think of any other way to get advice on this matter.

Rob C.

March 22, 2004 10:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Talscopes liquidation

Talscopes is having a liquidation sale...The 150 Klev OTA is being sold for 499.00....any opinions on their scopes? Astronomy Mag. gave them a good write-up...but other than that, I've not heard much...

March 23, 2004 09:37 PM Forum: Maksutovs

MN56 on Alt-AZ

Thanks to all the high praise for this scope in this forum, I'm thinking of making the purchase and using it on the Unistar Mount. Would this be feasable? Does anyone currently use this Alt-Az mount with the smaller of the mak-newts? I currently have the Unistar Light(10 lbs weighted), but i'd probably sell it and move up to the deluxe model(30 lbs weighted).

Any help would be appreciated!

Rob C.

March 25, 2004 04:06 PM Forum: Politics

Hey Condi: Loosen up!

A co-workers observation:

I don't think Condi farts out loud, gets drunk, or swears alot.

March 26, 2004 02:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Portability+Aperture+Wide field...Any suggestions?

Can someone recommend a decent wide field, relatively portable 6-8 inch scope? Not dobsonian however. I'll want it on a Gem(or i'll sell the gem and put it on a giro maybe).

I know i'm contradicting myself somewhat when i say wide field/portable...but is there anything out there? I'm on a budget of 800 bucks tops. I'm considering the 6 or 8 inch LXD Schmidt-Newt-but worry about the mount.

Any help would be appreciated big time. I had considered the MN56 if I had sold my Stellarvue to help finance it...but I just can't bear to sell it.