Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC 5149 Cacoon Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: robert cosgrove

June 4, 2004 07:01 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

V-Block filter

Posted By robert cosgrove

Does anyone know of a vendor that sells 2" V-block filters AND uses paypal? Trying to spend and keep it out of sight/out of mind from my better half. wink

October 5, 2004 10:42 AM Forum: Politics

Who said this and when?

"I would guess if we had gone in there, I would still have forces in Baghdad today. We'd be running the country. We would not have been able to get everybody out and bring everybody home.
"And the final point that I think needs to be made is this question of casualties. I don't think you could have done all of that without significant additional U.S. casualties. And while everybody was tremendously impressed with the low cost of the (1991) conflict, for the 146 Americans who were killed in action and for their families, it wasn't a cheap war.
"And the question in my mind is how many additional American casualties is Saddam (Hussein) worth? And the answer is not that damned many. So, I think we got it right, both when we decided to expel him from Kuwait, but also when the president made the decision that we'd achieved our objectives and we were not going to go get bogged down in the problems of trying to take over and govern Iraq."

February 15, 2005 10:54 AM Forum: Celestron

Celestron 8i

I see very few posts about this scope in most forums as well as very few ads where this scope is for sale....

Is this due to the fact that the scope doesn't sell well? Or that it works very well right out of the box i.e. it's a keeper?

Just curious as i'm considering my need for more aperture as well as portability and GoTo...and this scope seems as if it'll be the right fit.

Rob C

May 9, 2006 07:03 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Eq-2 for 127 Mak?

Would the EQ2 mount hold the Orion 127 Mak okay? I'm tempted to grab the EQ-2 on clearance at the Meade Outlet and match it to the Orion mak.

January 23, 2007 07:24 AM Forum: Reflectors

Mirror chip on the front....

I've been told by a dealer that they have a 3-4 month wait on a 14" Truss((Scopes without a blem mirror have a 10-12 month wait-and i'm sure that's conservative.)-but the catch is that they have a 13" blem on the back..and a 14" blem mirror with a chip on the FRONT. He says that despite the ugly chip on the front...the mirror still throws up fantastic images.....how is this possible? Looking to learn here, not dispute the dealer. This particular dealer is reputable.

January 26, 2007 08:51 AM Forum: Eyepieces

University Optics 32mm MK80

Hi all,

I'm tempted to pick up this eyepiece. I've enjoyed every UO eyepiece i've ever laid hands on. My problem is this...i'd like to use this eyepiece in my new 8" SCT, but would also use it as a finder eyepiece in my dobsonian. Does anyone have experience with this eyepiece in a dob?

I'm assuming it will be excellent on axis, but be filled with coma in the outside 20%? That would be OK with me since this is not a Nagler. lol

Another alternative is to be patient and wait for the Paragon 30mm to show up......waddaya think?

Any info or suggestions would be great. I do NOT have the money for Televue, Tak or Pentax-though I wish I did. :-)

Rob C

February 7, 2007 04:29 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Siebert Ultra's...which ones?

Hi there!

I have two opposing scopes...8" f/10 SCT and 10" f/4.9

I just received my 34mm Siebert Observatory-for the second time(I regretting selling it in the past).

Now i'm wondering which Ultra's are your favorites that might be a good compromise between the two scopes? smile

I'm thinking somewhere between the 22mm and 9mm range. I have the money to purchase two more. Maybe one at the higher and one at the lower range?

Thanks!

Rob

March 28, 2004 01:50 PM Forum: Refractors

4" Refractor or 5" Mak?

Dan, I agree with you and Brian about narrow fields of view. I was only looking at the Mak out of desperation to save money(see my last post to Brian)...I think the narrow FOV will drive me crazy with the Mak.

As you'll see in my post to Brian, I had been planning on getting the 8" Reflector Eq setup...but figured i'd check into just getting a refractor or mak OTA and placing it on my Unistar Mount to save 2-300 bucks.

So far, my desire for aperture is winning out..but it doesn't hurt to make sure of other alternatives.

April 1, 2004 11:24 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

April 8, 2004 01:02 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Antares orthos?

I wonder if that's who made 'em. Thanks. I was just curious.