Posts Made By: Gary Kouri

July 6, 2004 07:47 PM Forum: Lost Contacts and Personal Messages

Where's My FCT-76

Posted By Gary Kouri

Hi, about 5-6 years ago I sold my FCT-76 to Jim Miller who lived in Colo. he, in-turn sold it to someone on the eastcoast, that's all Jim remembers, I am trying to track down this scope, it may have came with a extra tube, just a little shorter then the one that is holding the objective and focuser. Also it has a special 2" adaptor made for it, so it will take 2" eyepieces to focus, there is a brass set screw on the side of the adaptor, I know it's not much to go on, Any info on this scope would be great. Gary

March 3, 2010 11:18 PM Forum: Eyepieces

TV: Made in Taiwan/Made in Japan. Any difference?

Posted By Gary Kouri

I have a 4.8 Nagler, made in Taiwan Roc. The box is green and white. I want to sell it and get a 5mm t6. I see some TV ep's are advertised as made in Japan. Are the Made in Japan 4.8mm more desirable? Which one was made first?

Want an idea of how to price it vs. a Made in Japan 4.8mm

Thanks Gary

March 14, 2010 05:20 AM Forum: After Dark

Need advice for a 90/125mm scope

Posted By Gary Kouri

I have been using a 102mm Tak refractor, my back has took a turn for worse and I can't lift it up due to it's weight. I Am not not up on any mirrored scopes (I had a 2045 ota years ago) and am looking for something similar in size, 90/125mm range that has good reviews.

To keep the weight down I plan on mounting the ota on a light weight Bogen tripod via a simple 1/4 x20

I realize this is not an ideal set up by any stretch of the imagination. At least it will at least get me back under the stars.

I know better than to expect it to be as good as the 102 Tak for planetary and lunar observing. I need some advice on who makes a good scope in this type and size. Price is really no object. I am not a fan of Questar, have looked through one more then once and was not impressed.

Comments Please

Thanks Gary

April 27, 2010 04:44 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Why so many Televue 5mm T-6's for sale?

Posted By Gary Kouri

I am thinking about getting a Televue 5mm T-6, to use with my Tak FCT-100, for planetary viewing. It seems that there is one for sale every other day. Kinda makin me wonder if this is not such a good eyepiece. Comments please....

Gary

June 14, 2010 05:05 AM Forum: Mounts

have NP-101 looking for light weight go-to mount

Posted By Gary Kouri

Hi guy's n gal's. I have a Np-101, along with a few bad disks in my back. Thus I am looking for the lightest possible go-to set up for this scope. I am trying to avoid counterweights because of the weight. Price is not really a problem, within reason. I just need something light weight. Perhaps better put, what is the lightest weight go-to mount out there that I can use with my NP-101. I do not mind doing a little modifying if need. I would like to keep scope mounted on the mount at all times, I do not want to have to assemble the scope to the mount every time I want to observe.

Thanks, Gary

December 4, 2010 10:20 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Not a dealer or OEM. What to do to get ad's as pos

Posted By Gary Kouri

I am not a Dealer or OEM. I have supported AM only once. What level of support do I have to be now to get the ad's as they are posted...

May 26, 2011 09:15 PM Forum: Reflectors

Bausch & Lomb 4000

Posted By Gary Kouri

Can anyone tell if the old all black Criterion Bausch & Lomb 4000 can be removed from the fork drive and mounted on a tripod via a 1/4 X 20 screw. I have read that these were/are not very good optically, but I may have one coming this way for next to nothing.....

Thanks Gary

June 2, 2011 08:58 PM Forum: Takahashi

Deciphering my serial no.

Posted By Gary Kouri

While talking to Art Ciampi today about my FCT-100 I forgot to ask him about deciphering the blue tag on my FCT-100. I of course understand the D=100mm and fl 640mm, but below D, and FL it has < No. M.I 9806 > I take it it's the date made, but how do I read it? Made in 1998, 1986?

Thanks

July 12, 2011 04:28 PM Forum: Reflectors

Parks Jovian-4 SCT

Posted By Gary Kouri

I have seen a few of these show up for sale lately. I do not care for for the helical focuser, that being said, how does it compare optically to other mirrored systems like the 2045, ETX 90 Apex 102 etc..

Thanks Gary

August 14, 2011 07:55 PM Forum: Eyepieces

How are the four elements grouped in a Plossl

Posted By Gary Kouri

I have disassembled a few orthos to blacken the edges for better contrast. It did make a noticeable difference. I have an older Park 25mm Plossl (non gs) that has some sort of debris in between the elements. I would like to disassemble it. The orthos really were no problem mainly because there was just a spacer in between the two elements . My question is, with four total elements in two groups of two, are these groups of two, cemented with a spacer in between the two groups, or are all four elements separated by spacers. From the diagrams I have seen it looks like they are cemented together in two groups and separated by one spacer.

I just wanted to know what to expect, after unscrewing the retainer ring and start removing the elements.

I am aware that it is not advised to attempt to disassemble an eyepiece. I am doing this as a "can I do it project" It is not worth it to send it to the factory. Whatever is in between the elements (mold) makes the eyepiece pretty much useless, so nothing to loose and perhaps a little knowledge to gain...