Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tom Trusock

March 29, 2004 04:22 PM Forum: Binoviewers

TV upgrade available

Posted By Tom Trusock

FYI

From the TV rep - Steve White:

TeleVue now offers a Binoview 2X amplifier thread upgrade. Now it takes filters.

http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=70#BinoVueFilter

Steve D. White
TeleVue Optics N. American Rep.

www.televue.com

April 17, 2004 10:17 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Tired of the "Typical" Nigerian scams?

Posted By Tom Trusock

At least this ones got an astro-bend....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/16/cosmic_419er/

I ummm, just don't even know how to begin to reply to that one. If it had been posted a little earlier I would have sworn it was a april fools day joke...

Personally, I find it funny as heck.

T

August 5, 2004 12:35 PM Forum: Binoviewers

A perfect binoviewer setup?

Posted By Tom Trusock

Could this be - finally - after all these years?? - The PERFECT binoviewer setup??

January 27, 2003 10:32 AM Forum: Binoviewers

who did in the Binoviewer group?

Posted By Tom Trusock

Nils,

I've talked with Jim extensively on this - it will be back. Either on yahooo groups or elsewhere. It's too good of a resource to stay dead.

Tom T.

January 29, 2003 03:00 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Purchasing a Denkmeier Binoviewer soon

Posted By Tom Trusock

I think you will be *quite* happy with it Don. It's a top of the line unit, and Denkmeier is a GREAT company to deal with. From what I've seen Russ works his ta*l off to keep his customers happy.

I'm saving for one of theirs myself.

Tom T.

February 24, 2003 12:07 PM Forum: Binoviewers

April 3, 2003 11:31 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Refractor guy feels Dobish...?

Posted By Tom Trusock

"Question is, would I see a great deal more with an inexpensive Dob?"

Depends on the inexpensive Dob. But typically - yes.

I have a TV102 as well, and even though it's my favorite scope and most used scope, I wouldn't be without a larger one. Currently this is a swayze 10" f7.5 (not exactly an inexpensive one tho).

Hardin Optical is selling 10" for around $400. At that price, whaddya got to lose?

Tom T.

July 7, 2003 04:42 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Fast Refractor

Posted By Tom Trusock

For lunar and planetary a binoviewer is great in a small scope.

Tom T.

November 24, 2003 10:22 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Denk II's get a Hot New Product for 2004

Posted By Tom Trusock

Hey Tom -

FWIW, I'm finding the Denk II's a step above the std's... Both are great, but if you've got the cash it's worth the upgrade IMO.

Tom T.

November 26, 2003 05:57 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Televue Pronto vs. Orion 80 ED

Posted By Tom Trusock

Gary,

I've had both.

My pronto had a well figured objective that threw up a fair amount of color on bright objects. It was well built and took magnification decently (for what is basically an achromat). There were no fears of quality control or support issues.

The Orion 80 is typical synta build quality - not as good as TV, but certainly servicable. Quality control is not nearly as good, and from what I've been reading most scopes arrive somewhat out of collimation. Most, however are very good even so. The crayford on the 80 is a nice touch, and I'm growing more and more fond of it.

As to the optics - well, the ed80 has two things going for it: 1) it's a true apo - which means you can do high and low powers with aplomb. Looking at the moon with the 80 is (subjectively) a more pleasurable experience for me - it's almost totally lacking in false color. 2) it's 80mm, 10mm larger than the pronto.

I sold the pronto this summer to fund another project, and recently bought the ed80 to replace it (I'm using it as a travel scope) and have been very pleased with the results. (For one, I split the double double at 66x). What I'd really like to see is something with a little better build quality (Pronto or Megrez 80 like) using this lens for around $800 USD.

If you are looking for optics yes, I'd go with the 80ED. If you are worried about collimation, get it from somewhere like company 7 - they test each scope before they ship.

If you enjoy mechanics, go with the pronto.

If you want both - take a look at the TV76. Of course the TV76 is 3x the price. FWIW, I've also compared the TV76 to the ED80 (side by side) - there was *very* little optical difference.

I'm planning on keeping my 80ED. If fits my needs.

Tom T.