Posts Made By: Tom Trusock

December 22, 2003 03:54 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Zooms in a Binoviewer...

Posted By Tom Trusock

Paul,

A buddy of mine has a pair of the 3-6 zooms, and has problems merging the images at 4mm and under.

These are one of the few eyepieces he has that problem with.

Personally, I was somewhat saddened to hear that - I have a 3-6 zoom and was hoping to pair it myself. I'm looking forward to hearing other responses.

Tom T.

December 30, 2003 04:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

TMB monocentrics vs. UO orthos

Posted By Tom Trusock

You might want to give the TMB's a spin on old luna.

Tom T.

January 3, 2004 08:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

16mm Nagler Tpye 5

Posted By Tom Trusock

The first two are going to sound really stupid, but I mean them honestly.

1) Don't look at the moon with that eyepeice
2) I've found I tend to get used to things like that after a while, and they really don't bug me all that much in the long run - any chance of that happening for you?

If 1 or 2 are unacceptable,

3) Consider the 13mm t6 nagler or the 17mm t4 nagler.

FWIW, I've never bought the 16mm t5 because of the blue flare, and found both the 13mm t6 and 17mm t4 to be superb eyepieces. (You can also look for a 16mm type 2 if you prefer.)

Tom T.

January 9, 2004 08:53 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Denk standard vs Denk II?

Posted By Tom Trusock

To my eyes, there is a definite throughput difference between the two. The Denk II goes a little deeper.

According to denkmeier, the Denk II is also better optimized for HA observing, and I believe the prisms are held to a higher tolerance.

The images seemed a bit sharper in the II, but that may be partly due to the adjustable diopters that I have on the two and didn't have on the std.

If you aren't super-critical, you will probably be happy with either.

Tom T.

January 10, 2004 05:57 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Denk Standard vs TeleVue Bino

Posted By Tom Trusock

Jeff,

If you haven't seen these, you may wish to take a look:

3 units compared (including a denk standard and TV)

http://www.cloudynights.com/accessories2/3%20binoviewers.htm

5 units compared (including a Denk and a TV)

http://www.cloudynights.com/accessories2/binoviewers.htm

Todd Gross's site at http://www.weatherman.com also has a nice section on binoviewers.

Since it may be useful for you to have some background of where this information comes from: I have no connection with either Denkmeier or Televue, except that of a satisfied customer of both companies. Nor do I manufacture or design any astroproducts. I do however, do a lot of stuff with cloudynights.com, and am very lucky in that I get a chance to see a lot of different equipment. Personally, I found the Denk Standards and the TV's to be very comparable overall with a slight edge to the denk in a couple areas. I found the Denk to be a little more flexable system with their magnifications (IE lower and higher power compensators in the same unit), however if you don't want to mess with the OCS, the televue compensator is a little easier to deal with, but it locks you into 2x, and although it seems like there should be full field illumination, I've heard reports of vingetting on fast dobs - have no idea what eyepieces they were using tho. If that thought bothers you, you would be best to seek out the yahoo binoviewer group, SAA and assorted other forums where you might encounter fast dob users and ask them directly. I also thought the denk went little deeper in LM (but not really much). I also had problems with the TV unit in cold weather - the interoccular adjustment froze solid. FWIW, I've seen this in my nagler 3-6 zoom too - just this year. Not sure if it's a simple adjustment, the lubrication they use, or if I'm just out in colder weather than I should be . If you live in a warmer environment, it more than likely won't be an issue, but if it were, well - IME TV, has great customer service. There aren't very many other *big* companys out there where *anybody* can call up and talk to the owner / designer of your products. That's just one of the reason I've had 4 TV scopes, most of their eyepeices and probably will pick up a few more. Incidentally, Denk has great service and support as well.

After a 3-4 month comparative test/review period, I wound up buying the Denk and sending the TV back. Well - let me amend that. I kept the Denk, till I picked up an FMC, and now I'm seriously considering buying a Denk II that I've been sent for review.

But if you are looking mainly at the TV or Denk Std, well - depending on your requirements, you could easily be happy with either as they are both good units. Only you can decide what units fit your styles/scopes better.

Keep pulling through the noise, there's signal out there, you just have to find it.

Just my .02 cents.

Tom T.

January 16, 2004 04:20 PM Forum: Binoviewers

orion ed80 focuser question.

Posted By Tom Trusock

ds -

That's right, the focuser does not really "lock" - rather there is a block that presses down on the focuser axel which in turn presses down on the drawtube.

I haven't had any problems with heavy eyepieces or a binoviewer, but I've got friends who have had issues with cameras.

Tom T.

February 12, 2004 03:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

CG5 Advanced Series - Any Reports?

Posted By Tom Trusock

http://www.cloudynights.com/mounts2/cg-5gt.htm

There's also a rather extensive thread in the cloudynights.com forums regarding the mount and review.

Tom T.

February 20, 2004 07:08 PM Forum: Eyepieces

please vote !!!!!!

Posted By Tom Trusock

With such a long focal length, most designs will perform quite well.

Personally, I'd opt for a 35 panoptic just in case you ever wind up with a faster scope.

Tom T.

March 8, 2004 08:34 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Chromacor and binoviewer

Posted By Tom Trusock

You might want to drop VD a line and find out where the chromachor needs to intercept the light cone.

IIRC, spacing (in a standard scope) is pretty critical.

Tom T.

March 10, 2004 07:41 PM Forum: Binoviewers

EP recommendations

Posted By Tom Trusock

Greg, in the binoviewer, I'm fond of:

Panoptic 24's

and

Nagler t6's

Tom T.