New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tom Trusock

January 21, 2005 05:45 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

William Optics 80mm scopes

Posted By Tom Trusock

I'd highly recommend the ED Triplet.

The initial sample I was sent was out of collimation, but David Yang was very good to work with, and the scope now shows good images. On the average night it will take 150x - 160x on saturn, and in excess of 200x on the moon before the image begins to break down. I also recently split Rigel at 80x, and suspect I could have gone lower, but lacked an appropriate eyepiece.

This photo might give you an idea of the color correction. Taken at prime focus with a Canon D60 while mounted on a gibralter.

No processing was done except for a crop and a 50% resize for esier web posting.

Tom T.

February 2, 2005 03:03 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Meade 5000 Plossl Tryout

Posted By Tom Trusock

How was the eye relief?

Tom T.

February 9, 2005 08:44 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

My first meeting with a BIG scope

Posted By Tom Trusock

You might not want to write an 18" off until you've seen the ultralights like a plettstone.

Not all 18" are created equal.

October 20, 2005 12:02 PM Forum: TeleVue

Tele Vue 85 Obsolete?

Posted By Tom Trusock

Obsolete?

What did Al upgrade the CPU or something?

Bull hockey. A telescope does not become obsolete. Televue may be facing some still competition from other manufacturers, (with the hardest years yet to come) but the 85 is, and will remain (as long as it is manufacturerd) one of the best small apo's on the market. When it is finally retired, it will be a classic piece of american glass.

Like Ron, I also find the "reveiwer's" description of color is extremely questionable.

FWIW, I've had two (and a host of other telescopes besides) and loved each.

Tom T.

April 27, 2006 06:57 AM Forum: Binoviewers

ZenithStar 80mm SHORT

Posted By Tom Trusock

Hi Don,

You researched this purchase, right?

Tom T.