Posts Made By: Michael Koons

March 29, 2012 02:52 AM Forum: Politics

Looking like ObamaCare is going DOWN

Posted By Michael Koons

David,

just wondering about your position on the individual mandate as it relates to the Constitution and Federal Law. Prior to Obamacare, under the not for profit status of many hospitals where I live, those who show up to the ER are treated to fulfill providing a "substantial benefit" under the not for profit status.

Those who are treated are either unwilling or unable to pay and the hospital just provides the service. I am fairly sure that the hospital does not "just suck it up". I am sure in some form or another my premiums are increased to cover this cost. Why does the hospital continue to provide free service? To fulfill the requirements of their not for profit status.
Who provides the guidelines for not for profits and the rules surrounding them? The local government, state government, federal government? I am fairly certain that it is the Feds. If this is true, then all along since the inception of the not for profit model for healthcare, the paying people, under the auspices of the federal government have been subsidising those who cannot or will not pay for themselves, but they can not be denied care.

If this is true, then the Feds have been knee deep since well before Obamacare but with a twist. They only pay(and then pass the cost on to everyone else) for corrective care. They are taking our money and redistributing it to others.

If this is true than the choices of your poison may be;

1. The prior Federal Not for Profit plan whereby you and I pay for ER visits comprised typically of corrective medicine.

2. Federal Obamacare where you and I pay for more preventive medicine and less corrective care.

My personal choice is preventive. Yours may be different. Some people buy a car, never change the oil or rotate the tires, change air or oil filters or replace the plugs. Those vehicles will likely end up with a big bill. Some people get all the maintenance and pay for the little things along the way. Those vehicles typically run better, more reliably and get better fuel efficiency. Pick your poison.

I personally found a lot not to like about Obamacare, particularly expanding a system without addressing many of the shortcommings and making big problems bigger. The individual mandate though......I liked it. I would rather pay for the preventive care. I think it will save me money in the long run and those who can pay, but now just choose to ride in on my
buck, pay something.

Just a side note regarding preventive care. One of my employees is riding on his spouses plan which includes dental. In the event that you do not get your annual dental visit for a clean and inspection, they drop you. I'm sure anyone could reason why.

I did not mean to be confrontational with this post and hope it is not taken in that vein. I simply have a different viewpoint from some others.

If we rejected the not for profit status of all healthcare providors and the associated strings attached, then it would be an altogether different ballgame. A particular local healthcare facility which shields computer service, printing services, medical equipment repair and a host of other items from tax, would pay tax and be unable to compete with local businesses that provide the same services but pay tax. And where I live they DO compete with local businesses for service outside of the not for profit.

The not for profit model is unfair and a bad thing IMHO.

Michael

December 19, 2012 05:45 PM Forum: Politics

Billions and billions and billions...

Posted By Michael Koons

Not that I totally agree with the "bailout", if the 500 million shares had been sold 2 years ago, the taxpayers would have gained almost a billion in profit. The "loss" could be mitigated by timing, or having not participated.

Mike

December 30, 2013 10:18 PM Forum: Politics

Is anyone concerned about the NSA stuff

Posted By Michael Koons

Warrant and a Judge......

November 14, 2016 11:25 PM Forum: Politics

Election 2016: Exit Polls

Posted By Michael Koons

James Lacey said:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html?_r=0

Typical Trump voter:

1. White Male
2. 45 or older
3. No secondary education
4. Rural
5. White evangelical or Catholic
6. Most important issues: Immigration, Terrorism
7. View on state of economy: Poor
8. Outlook for the future: Poor
9. Build the wall: Support
10. Most important candidate quality: Can bring needed change

Typical Hillary voter:

1. Non-white Female
2. 44 or younger
3. College graduate
4. Urban
5. Jewish or unaffiliated
6. Most important issues: Foreign Policy, Economy
7. View on state of economy: Good or better
8. Outlook for the future: Good
9. Build the wall: Oppose
10. Most important candidate quality: Experience

Wow......been a long time since I posted here.....not a lot has changed though....same bat time, same bat folk, same bat(ty in some cases) ideas.

I am a rural greater than 50 year old(with a college degree 4 year plus) and this I can tell you, I just visited my Daughter and soon to be Son in Law in Greensboro North Carolina. My daughter in particular drives and sells door to door for a living. They were shocked as the election unfolded when the "pollsters" said North Carolina was a toss up. They both said they could not believe that the election was even as close as it was, they thought Trump would win in a landslide based on the signs, stickers and such they saw and this was in a Democrat stronghold. My point is, when are we going to stop allowing the media and "pollsters" who have a dismal track record in this regard think for us. They are obviously ill informed or perhaps tilted in their questions and analysis. So I don't believe any of the polls. I stood in line for an hour and 1/2 with whom I thought were angry Trump women because my feeble mind accepted the polls and the media. Many women, both Democrat and Republican put their principles before their personalities and voted for Trump. As a recovering Repub I am still stunned. Don't believe the polls or the news, they definitely have an agenda.

On a side note, both Washington and Madison (or perhaps Monroe) warned about a 2 party system. The libertarian party has a lot of Conservative former R's with some heart and can use all the help they can get.

Mike

March 7, 2010 06:26 PM Forum: Polls

Capitalizm/Capitalism (for old farts)

Posted By Michael Koons

Killing itself when the government supports the bad guys and manipulators.

October 3, 2010 11:35 AM Forum: Polls

Most closely describes me politically

Posted By Michael Koons

Could we redo the poll with
"fiscal conservative"
"moral conservative"
"conservative"
and then see the results....

October 18, 2010 05:31 AM Forum: Polls

Raising Taxes On the Rich

Posted By Michael Koons

And simply change the dividend and cap gains rates to more historical level!

That's where the real money was and is, not the income tax rate!!!!!

Don't let the junk on the news fool you !