My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Michael Koons

September 9, 2005 09:33 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Putting a Dob on a diet!

Posted By Michael Koons

My portly 16" f4.5 Nightsky is wonderful, but....after 2 years of ownership, my back is a bit sore, and I'd like to get the mirror box as light as I can. I am unable to use ramps because of the location, and my 152 pound frame struggles with the 69 pound mirror box. I'm really not interested in removing the mirror and transporting it. I just need to be lighter, and manage 4 steps and 45 feet a bit better. My first idea is to chop the bottom of the mirror box, cut the adjustment screws a commensurate amount and then move the altitude bearings accordingly. Any input as far as hole cutting, trimming the top, easily modifying the mirror cell to lighten it, anything. If this dob doesn't lose weight it will kill my back and mirror. Thanks
Mike

October 28, 2005 12:57 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Blue Sky to the rescue!!!!!

Posted By Michael Koons

Just a short note to you all. After 3 years of telling both myself and the kids to not bang my Nightsky truss poles together, Floyd graciously crafted me a nifty carrying case for them! It has individual pockets, a handle and a nice price too! I did get a secondary cover too so I could stop using an old sock! I gave up Crown Royal 15 years ago so I didn't have any of those for my secondary. Floyd can make pretty much anything I guess wink PS, the thought of him sitting by a sewing machine....... grin

November 16, 2005 02:44 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Thanks Herb!

Posted By Michael Koons

As I'm leaving the 50 thousanth five star postive feedback for a fellow astromarter, it occurs to me.......what a nice place to deal with people, odds are they are all reputable and honest. All thanks to Herb smile Thank you Herb!

November 27, 2005 11:46 PM Forum: Eyepieces

High power help!!!

Posted By Michael Koons

I have a Tec 140 with a DenkII. I am looking for a bit of advice with eyepieces. I've had my beasty up to 294X on a good night with Tak 7.5 le's, but the next step with power was way too much around 500X. In the Northeast(PA) what do you think is the maximum useful power? At 294 everthing was crisp! Should I be happy here(never). Once I figure out a target, then I can choose another eyepiece set to get the max. I know the nights that allow this are few and far between, but I don't pass any of them up. Thanks for your help!
Mike

November 29, 2005 03:22 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Minimum exit pupil????

Posted By Michael Koons

What is the minimum recommended exit pupil? I've read a bunch and have seen cited .5mm. Is that it? Thanks!!!!!!
Mike

December 2, 2005 02:04 AM Forum: Eyepieces

11 Nagler Type 6 vs 11 Plossl

Posted By Michael Koons

Wondering if anyone has done a side by side for sharpness and contrast. Interested in planetary performance.
Thanks, I know these 2 are not alike but I owned the 11 nag before and it was pretty darn sharp, the contrast was awesome though.
Mike

December 5, 2005 10:54 PM Forum: APM

Excellence from APM!!

Posted By Michael Koons

Just a short note of Thanks to Markus...I had ordered a TMB-115 in July and unfortunatly the baffle/stop affixed to the inside of the dewshield had sprung out. I didn't feel comfortable repairing it so Markus sent a new one that I received a few weeks after and it was slightly too large. The scope was still operable but not what I had paid for. It took a bit and Markus had a bit of issue getting another(second time) from his subcontractor but suprise grin It came today. If you are ever unsure about dealing with him overseas, don't be he is a gem and follows through. This was my second purchase from him. Thanks Markus.
Mike

December 26, 2005 03:01 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Sharpest Binoviewer results?

Posted By Michael Koons

I have been questioning varying results with my current Denkmeier with powerswitch. Some eyepieces(actually all) have a bit of color in the right side. But, with the optics out at mid power it seems to be minimized(though still there). I have developed a preference for high power 180-250 planetary viewing when seeing permits, the lowest power used is the 19 panoptic pair. I am wondering what the sharpest view with best light distribution and throughput in this magnification range can be had. Should I remove the power switch and purchase MORE eyepieces.....remove part SR and run the bino straight in.....though the Denk is great for deepsky and very strong for planets, being my lowest power used is the 19 pan and vignetting is not a concern, are there binos which may perform more crisply at high power but have smaller aperatures????? Any feedback greatly appreciated. I am using a TEC140 any have a variety of EP's, 7.5 Taks, 14 Radian, 12 Konigs, 19 Pans, 11 TV plossls. BTW the plossls and Tak are about tied, with the Taks at HP on the powerswitch for contrast and clarity.
Mike

January 15, 2006 07:52 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Anyone using 15 pans for bino???

Posted By Michael Koons

Just wondering eye relief, comfortably able to take in field, etc.
Thanks
Mike

February 1, 2006 02:42 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Need help for finder/grab-n-go 60-70mm

Posted By Michael Koons

I'd love a 60-70mm that I can use as a finder for my Tec and be able to use as a grab and go on a tripod. I'm leaning toward a pentax 65ed for around 650. I've read and looked but the pentax set up is around 2.5 pounds with prism for erect viewing. Any help suggestions would be extremely welcome.
Mike