My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Michael Koons

December 4, 2008 12:40 AM Forum: Politics

Another auto bailout question

Posted By Michael Koons

I know I've read with interest over the past few years, when Hydundai, BMW or Toyota put up new plants, the states actually compete with each other for lucrative tax incentives to bring them in, like 10-20 years no property tax and the like. What taxes breaks in this day and age do the domestics get to retain their business there. Do or should the states they are in offer breaks to keep them there with there jobs, or should they relocate to the south where the new plants get the new deals. Just wondering............

December 20, 2008 04:27 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

How much of this years sell off.......

Posted By Michael Koons

if any do you think was due to the likely election of a new President who would likely raise capital gains rates to a more historical level, ie 26 percent or so??

December 24, 2008 03:45 AM Forum: Politics

American Express capital injection approved

Posted By Michael Koons

afer they filed to be a bank. My company has an Accounts Receivable, maybe a bit slow, but we have tripled since my partner and I bought it on 12/1/98, just finished our year at +17.7%, our best showing yet, but we see some clouds on the horizon. I had called my US representative a few weeks ago, but thought I would throw the question out here....how do I sign my company up for a "capital infusion?". I think we would do better with all of your money than many others that have received such funds in terms of both growth, profit and employment. I understand the application is only 2 pages long, I just need to sign up, tell me how? Are we not notified(nor in over our heads) because no one in our company makes even laughably near a million a year? Sorry, just sick of it all :S BTW our main leasing source was GE capital which is not doing any more leasing this quarter, and our thoughts were to start our own leasing company. We just need the "capital infusion"!!!!!

January 27, 2009 02:32 AM Forum: Politics

Re: Great article

Posted By Michael Koons

Fortunately we live in a free country, your display of the flag and tone of your posts is fairly transparent............I think history in 40 years will judge, and fairly too.

January 27, 2009 05:09 PM Forum: Politics

Any props from the right????

Posted By Michael Koons

Wondering if credit will be given when due....I doubt it
"The provision within the stimulus that would allocate money for contraceptive programs through Medicaid will be pulled out of the package.

NBC News confirms that the president called Henry Waxman, the chairman of the committee that inserted the contraception provision into the stimulus during the mark up last week, to ask him to remove the measure from the bill, according to a Democratic leadership source"

January 30, 2009 01:39 AM Forum: Politics

Old school, new school, you pick....

Posted By Michael Koons

Old school
"Just four days before he left office, President Bush instructed former White House aide Karl Rove to refuse to cooperate with future congressional inquiries into alleged misconduct during his administration"

New school
"the height of irresponsibility" for Wall Street employees to be paid more than $18 billion in bonuses last year while their financial sector was crumbling.

"It is shameful,"

At last shed some light!

January 31, 2009 05:13 PM Forum: Politics

Re: He wants his cut

Posted By Michael Koons

Jim Babcock said:

Obama does not like people making money off of him without him getting his cut.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20090130/pl_bloomberg/ay4jojiqvy4c_1

The left was at the front of the line to use Bush and his Administration to make money for moveon.org, magazines and in so many ways. I do not remember a politician before this ever working actively to stop others from using their image, slogans or clips of speeches. I guess this is just another example of change some can believe in - typical Chicago politics.

You must have read a different article, some quotes from the article you cited

"The White House through the years has objected to commercial use of presidential faces"

"may become a concern when advertisers use his likeness without permission to imply that Obama is endorsing a product or cause"

"protect the presidential image while being careful not to squelch the overwhelming enthusiasm that the public"(you excluded obviously)

I see nothing about trademarks, paybacks, payoffs or the like. I'm sure he will save that for after the election.

January 31, 2009 09:06 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Obama's surge

Posted By Michael Koons

Jim Babcock said:

It looks like Obama is planning a surge in Afghanistan:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=afll.9YZiyUY&refer=worldwide

Where is the outrage, protests and statements from the left about how it will not work? I guess the left really does not care about the use of force and the potential for the deaths of young men and women in uniform, it is just politics. When a Republican President commits more troops to improve the success of the US military, it is one thing, and it is radically different when an the inexperienced first black President from the Democrat party does it.

Will the left press for a draft in order for Obama to make sure that there are enough troops? What is the exit strategy? Are these only appropriate questions when a Republican is President?

I am not against the surge, we on the right have ALWAYS supported the troops. Their use is not partisan, but the left's hypocrisy is legendary.

Obama stated he would do this during the course of the campaign, this is yet another promise kept................

February 13, 2009 05:04 AM Forum: Politics

Re: Who do you believe?

Posted By Michael Koons

I guess that would assume that one or the other intended to say something untruthful, it may have been an assumption with no intent to deceive. If I take the trash out and my wife asks did the garbage man has come and it is 10 AM, and I say yes, though he was late and I didn't know it, that would make me a liar in your sense, though I thought he had come. Liar is a bit strong. Will Caterpillar have more in the future, immediately, I presume the CEO would be in a better position to judge. But I'm glad the President is trying to pitch a bit of positive spin to his plan.

February 13, 2009 05:09 AM Forum: Politics

Re: And ANOTHER One Bites the Dust

Posted By Michael Koons

Old news, but for the time there is no evidence of wholesale resignations due to issues such as Chrisyy Todd Whitman

"In an interview in 2007, Whitman stated that Vice President Dick Cheney's insistence on easing air pollution controls, not the personal reasons she cited at the time, led to her resignation.[33] At the time, he pushed the EPA to institute a new rule allowing large polluting plants to make major alterations without installing costly new pollution controls.[33] Refusing sign off on the new rule, Whitman announced her resignation.[33] Whitman decided that President Bush should have an EPA administrator willing to defend the new rule in court, which she could not bring herself to do.[33] Federal judges later overturned the new rule, saying it violated the Clean Air Act.[33]

I can't wait until Colin Powell writes his memoirs, then again, he may value America enough not to embarass her further.....