Posts Made By: Roland Beard

March 18, 2010 11:01 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Binocular Quick Sketch: M46 and M47

Posted By Roland Beard

Some objects, as you know, defy classic telescope observing and need a binocular to appreciate their size and shape. M46 and M47 are a good example. We encourage newbies to use just about anything to see them since they are fun to find and observe. In this case, I used a Trico Sky Window with Fuji 16x70s to see them on a recent clear night. Of course, at low power, the denser star regions look almost appear like light clouds.

March 30, 2010 02:01 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

M64--deep sky for the disadvantaged

Posted By Roland Beard

We like astrovideo with scopes because it gives us two advantages for our applications. First, it multiplies telescope aperture, so to speak. Second, we can run the video feed to a few feet or a hundred feet away and display the image on an HDTV. The application for children, the elderly, or public gatherings has been a real asset. In foreign countries in disadvantaged regions, we can do the same thing using a 12V car battery and a small portable TV attached to 80-mm scope.

But this night (Mar 23rd) it was an application at home. My wife is not up to getting out right now, so the feed went a 100 feet indoors to the little HDTV in front of her recliner and I sat next to her to sketch. With the MallinCAM set on 28 seconds and about mid-sensitivity, we had a nice view of M64 -- even with a 4 inch scope.

It was a good night to give thanks.

April 10, 2010 04:19 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

An old target in a new light (part of M42)

Posted By Roland Beard

My wife and I recently had opportunity to sketch the stellar cloud folds on one side of the trapezium/nebula in January. In this case, using a very modest setting on the MallinCAM Hyper Color video camera while mounted on a 12.5 Dob. We ran the image to a 19 inch HDTV in the living room and sketched for an hour. This is the last sketch that was done. These cloud folds are most interesting in terms of shape and color/hue but it is not trivial to grab the detail and "mix" and shade the clouds properly. Of course, good astro photos do much better, but the discipline of studying/sketching is most enjoyable and causes an observer to remember what has been seen. It's why we teach teachers and children to link observing and sketching, albeit with simple instruments and pencil/paper. In any case, it was a wonderful night for us...nestled in the living room for an hour grabbing all the detail we could before we ran out of steam. A full series of sketches (black and white, color, constellation, nebula, and cloud fold studies by both of us) are on our site (address is below the signature) if you care to look. The page is reached by going to the News page and clicking on the Orion hot link near the top.

Clear skies.

April 20, 2010 02:44 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

2x Barlow (not a shorty) question

Posted By Roland Beard

I have a couple Barlows of the short type. When used with a astrovideo camera, the camera picks up some internal reflections. Folks tell me that the regular length Barlows have much less likelihood of stray light getting down the longer light path. I don't have any experience with the longer type. If it's a major manufacturer product, are the longer Barlows about the same in performance or can anyone recommend something they prefer?

April 27, 2010 01:38 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Grabbing a Low Object with Astro Video

Posted By Roland Beard

M83 in early spring at my lattitude is pretty low, but I really like barred galaxies so it is hard to resist going after it through the murky atmosphere. I tried it on the 15th with light cirrus about mid evening but it was too low. After an hour wait and a retry I managed to find it with my C8 and a sloppy go-to. Using a Pro Dob astro video camera at 28 seconds integration and a 50% gain I was able to enjoy some of the structure and shape. Equatorial observers must have fun with this one since it would be bright and high.

April 28, 2010 02:28 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion Flip Lens -- How is it?

Posted By Roland Beard

I use a flip up lens from Vixen (I think) that is still available. It works pretty good although it is not a high end and high price design. I notice Orion has a flip lens also that is in the same price range. I may need another but generally don't jump unless I here reports. Anyone have and use the Orion flip lens and care to comment?

My use is with astro video, so I put the EP at right angles and the video cam looks straight through.

May 2, 2010 02:22 AM Forum: LUNATICS

Antares 5.7mm on craters in Crisium

Posted By Roland Beard

Normally I pass over central sea areas looking for rough terrain to observe, but something about these craters in Crisium caught my attention since the shadows made them a little more noticeable on this late March evening. I had been doing some deep sky stuff with astro video, but shifted to a little 5.7 mm Antares EP on a 12.5 Dob for a change before quitting the session. These relatively inexpensive EPs work pretty well so even at this high magnification, the image was not too bad. Fun to work for a half hour or so...and an interesting set of craters to observe and sketch.

May 15, 2010 04:58 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Who has made a mirror for binoculars?

Posted By Roland Beard

I have a lovely Sky Window that I use with binoculars, but I would like to try my hand at constructing my own type of reflecting mirror. I have heard and seen a couple pictures of this, but it has been too long for me to remember where. Anyone done this and care to show a picture or send me a link to some instructions about how to do it or what stuff to use? I have heard of copier mirrors utilized, plain mirrors with a bit better quality, etc. The mounts have varied from wood (my preference) to all sorts of things.

Thanks for reading.

May 17, 2010 12:51 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Reflecting mirror for binoculars?

Posted By Roland Beard

I tried this on the telescope-making thread, but no answers, so thought I would try here....I use a Trico Sky Window with binoculars when sketching objects. Works great and like it. But I would like to try constructing my own window/reflector someday. Anyone every tried this and have some pictures or guidance? I have heard of mirrors from old copiers being used ... all the way to plain mirrors. I have heard of mounts from wood to metal to plastic. But it was all too long ago and I do not have any current links or information. If you have, let me know.

Thanks for reading.

June 2, 2010 02:47 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Her M83 from a "His and Hers" Session

Posted By Roland Beard

With my wife's permission I have posted her quick sketch of M83. We had opportunity in early May to go after M83 and M68 together using a C8 with astro video equipment. It makes for an interesting time as we huddle around a monitor. She is much faster than me and whipped this out in half the time it took me. Then we went to M68. Hope someone enjoys it. This sketch is from a story and 3 sketches on our Inspiration pages at a little ministry site (address under my signature in case you want to go look).