My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Roland Beard

April 10, 2011 06:01 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

M81 & 82 with an 8 inch SCT?

Posted By Roland Beard

...only possible with Hyperstar. We recently added Hyperstar to a classic 8 inch f/10 SCT because we do lots of demonstrations where we need wider field but also sketch objects/star fields that require wider field. Small refractors are great, but they do not have the light gathering capacity. So we wanted our familiar C8 to get some adjustment to get wider field in addition to the traditional f/10 configuration.

The detail in the sketch is because the Hyperstar is mated with the MallinCAM Hyper Color Video Camera. We use the MCHC over half the time we observe to study objects, sketch them, and do demonstrations where a group of people need to see an object at the same time. The Hyperstar permits more flexibility by permitting us to go to f/2.

The next night we removed Hyperstar and used a more traditional setup with the camera on one part of a flip lens and an eyepiece on the other. The sketch from observing the next night (M82) is on our site along with the complete story and lesson if you care to look. Go to the Inspiration Page and see the top left summary and link under the title: "The Wonder of a Galaxy Pair". As you would have guessed, the traditional arrangement can only capture one of the galaxies since the field of view is narrower and magnification higher--even with a focal reducer on the video camera. www.christworksministries.org

All in all, a couple of fun nights. Hyperstar just expanded the possibilities while the MCHC, which we have used for awhile, gives us the detail commensurate with a much large scope. I never thought we would see the day when you could run from f/2 to f/10 with a SCT.

May 22, 2011 04:36 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

M83 Observing Sheet from Midsouth Stargaze

Posted By Roland Beard

This is a sheet developed on an April evening at the Midsouth Stargaze using a C8 with a MallinCAM Hyper Color video astro camera to deliver the live image to a little 10 inch HDTV. The top two left-hand column sketches/stories on the inspiraton page of our site have additional objects sketched along with stories if you are interested.

June 9, 2011 12:25 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

another M51 -- sketch from astro-video

Posted By Roland Beard

I have been out of the loop on astro news, so I observed/sketched M51 on June 2 using a 12.5 Dob on a compact platorm but using a MallinCAM Hyper Color in place of an eyepiece. I studied and sketched for 50 minutes...not realizing until a saw another sketcher's post that I had also seen the supernova. The star outside the outer arm at the 11:30 position from the galaxy center is on the sketch. Go from there to just inside the arm and slightly left...the white "dot" is it.

July 20, 2011 07:18 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

The Swan in Living Color

Posted By Roland Beard

Every summer provides opportunity to see the wonders of the southern skies. The Swan is one of my favorites. In an EP with a medium scope, the distinct shape and apparent density make it an exciting object to observe. When I get a chance to view it with color astro video tools and sketch it in living color, it is a showstopper. The flaming pinks and reds with whites, the shapes of the parts of the object, and the variety of transitions--some gentle and some abrupt--make it a challenge yet fun to record. It is a privilege to observe it again...and it was a good evening to give thanks.

Technical information is listed on the observing sheet in the lower left.

July 31, 2011 02:57 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Live but Remote Deep Sky Observing via NSN

Posted By Roland Beard

There is something going on that some readers probably know about, but I am running into many that are unaware of a new tool set for deep sky observing. The sketch that is attached is not a surprise by its subject matter (The Trifid) but the manner in which it was obtained is something fairly new. I will work backwards from the sketch:
1. I usually sketch in front of a monitor that is fed astro video from a MallinCAM Hyper Color. This has been around for a little while; there are well over 1000 owners but very few study and sketch an object. With older eyesight and other limitations, astro video has been our most common tool of choice, so it is common to us.
2. This time the sketch was developed from studying the laptop screen image, although I still had a monitor showing the same output. The laptop screen image was from the Night Skies Network list of broadcasters (I am signed up as one). So now the telescope/MallinCAM setup sends the image to my monitor but also uploads it through a capture card to NSN. Then any user anywhere can watch broadcasting members live...to sketch (less common) or just enjoy the view (more common), or enjoy the view and talk back and forth to the observer or among themselves via chat (most common).
3. During this session as I sketched from the broadcast image (which is nearly as good as the monitor image) I also answered questions, gave a little sketch/observing lesson (they can hear my voice or see the chat box), and chatted with another sketcher watching the same image from across the states.

An application: with some coordination, our friends in classrooms half way across the globe can register as a class with NSN, watch broadcasts and observe/sketch objects they would either have difficulty seeing or would not be able to see as a class. It puts live images that are unprocessed in front of students learning to observe that may not have either the equipment or the opportunity to observe the heavens. And, perhap most important, it is no-cost to those receiveing the broadcast...and would not have money to enter into this process at all.

August 8, 2011 03:27 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

N. Hemisphere Newbies with little scopes

Posted By Roland Beard

I am sure most newbies have read things and gotten guidance, but just in case you are new and have only a binocular or a small telescope, this is the time of year to look south to see a collection of some bright and beautiful objects almost directly south and just above or to the right of Sagitarrius. Any sky map will show you M8 (the Lagoon), M16 (the Swan), and M22 (huge globular cluster). I recently watched all three with a binocular but also an 80mm desk mount refractor with a 20mm inexpensive eyepiece. This basic equipment (the 80mm refractor) is the same we send in kits to the Philippines and train teachers how to observe...then teach students to observe. So try these objects if you have not. I recommend observing early in the evening if you are mid lattitudes or higher because the objects are highest above the SSW horizon.

M22 is shown below on an observing sheet--a plain piece of sketch paper on which I put basic information below the sketch. If you want to see M16 and M8 with the same equipment, go to Parables in the Sky blog at www.rolandlinda3.wordpress.com

August 21, 2011 11:34 PM Forum: LUNATICS

Oil Painting Live via NightSkiesNetwork

Posted By Roland Beard

I am new at observing/sketching with oils although I regularly observe/sketch with pastels or pencil...which is what teach overseas when we teach practical observing. The live painting is not that good, but the circumstances are pretty unique. I painted/observed by watching a live screen image of the Tycho region that I was watching on NSN (Night Skies Network) on the 9th; then did Schiller on the 10th. However, the screen image (for both evenings) came from my 8 inch SCT that was fitted with an astro video camera set on 1/3000 second then sent via video output to my monnitor but also to my laptop capture device....that took the image to NSN where it was broadcast. This way, several people could observe at the same time, chat during the observation, and get a few instructions from me about studying/sketching while I developed the oil paint view at the same time. Quite unique, but an excellent way for a group to observe, and for us (eventually) to take lunar or deep sky views and send them to others, who can also observe vicariously because they do not have the equipment or the weather or both. If interested, you can see how we apply the observations to lessons and stories by going to the blog post www.rolandlinda3.wordpress.com.

November 8, 2011 02:21 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

The Sculptor Galaxy Observed in Oil on Wood

Posted By Roland Beard

The sculptor is one of my favorites but working with oils is well beyond my ability. Nevetheless, I continue to try and stretch things a bit, so this is an observation done using astro video in place of the eyepiece while I tried to record the galaxy during the hour or so. What you see is a digital photo of the oil on wood, and it oversaturates the whites...even after I tried to tone the photo down to match the painting. In any case, wonderful object, even if I did not get it perfectly. The astro video does permit you to see the pinks in the central region, which are beautiful, but, again, the digital photo makes them really hard to see. The full story with the photo of the painting you see below is at this link if you care to read the story: http://christworksministries.org/inspiration_sculptor_galaxy

Roland

January 12, 2012 01:20 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

NGC 891

Posted By Roland Beard

Christmas evening was our last chance to observe in 2011. During one period I spent almost an hour each at the Flame Neb and NGC 891. Both are popular objects. Shown below is 891, which is always a delight to observe. The Flame (color sketch) on the top post (sketch and story) when you go to rolandlinda3.wordpress.com. As we normally do, the observations are with astro video assistance but with relatively short integration periods but high gains, the presentation is very nice but also demanding, because there is more to study and record.

January 22, 2012 04:36 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

An Old Lesson from the Philippines

Posted By Roland Beard

My wife and I teach practical observing from a biblical view in the Philippines. One thing we do comes from a lesson that is often recommended but seldom done, because the WOW effect of optics tends to cause people to forget some basics. We were reminded of the value of this old lesson as we taught a group of excited "students" (actually teachers and staff) in the Philippines. Here is the lesson:

1. Pick a night at the beginning of learning how to use a telescope and binocular by putting them away.
2. Get a planisphere and a weak red light so you can read in the dark.
3. Get your bearings for North and South.
4. Face North and dutifully find the most significant constellations and major stars.
5. Face South and do the same thing.

It's that simple. But take your time. And...hold to a self agreement: don't get out the optics. Just use your eyes.

There is no better substitute for exposure to the heavens that we know of because it gives people an overall sense of where things are and how they appear compared to how they seem to appear on the Planisphere.

We repeat the lesson often--even for ourselves. Preferably, it's good to do it every quarter or so because of the sense a person gets with the changes over time. And, you get to see things that optics cannot deliver better in terms of wide field.