My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steven Keaton

May 27, 2004 02:26 PM Forum: Refractors

Tak FS128 vs TOA130 vs AP130 f/6

Posted By Steven Keaton

I am on the notification list for an AP130 f/6. A long wait to come. I currently have a Tak FS102. I want to move to a 5". How does the FS128 compare to the TOA130. I know the stats, and there is one more piece of glass, but is the price and weight worth the difference? In the very near future I will purchase one or the other, is the TOA that much better?
And finally, does anyone have a comment about the comparison between the TOA130 vs the AP130 f/6?

Thanks, Steve

May 28, 2004 12:08 PM Forum: Takahashi

Tak FS128 vs TOA130

Posted By Steven Keaton

Hello all Tak owners,

I raised a similar question under the topic of refractors, but only have received one opinion. Thanks Bruce. I currently am enjoying immensely my FS102. However, as is the case with everyone, I am moving up. I'm close to the next scope. Should it be the FS128 or go the distance and snag the TOA? The issue of weight means bigger mount, tripod etc. Will the money spent be worth the difference?

Thanks all,

Steve

June 3, 2004 03:20 AM Forum: Takahashi

FS128 vs TOA130

Posted By Steven Keaton

Thanks to everyone for your experience, expertise and suggestions. I also appreciate the private e-mails that I received from some. I now have a plethora of things to consider. Of course, the easiest decision of all is to adquire both scopes and do some personal indepth comparisons. Which, by the way, is most likely going to be the route I take. There is a burning sensation in my brain that says I need to compare the scopes side by side for myself. Until I do that personally, the question that will always remain unanswered is, "what if?". wink

Thanks again and Clear Skies,

Steve

June 29, 2004 08:54 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

AP130 EDFS vs TOA130

Posted By Steven Keaton

I put my name on the Notification list back in April for an AP130 f/6. I know I have a long wait ahead, but I'm sure it will be worth it. Meantime, I have a Tak FS102. I will be moving up in 2 to 3 months. I really want to get my hands on a TOA130 by Tak so that when my AP arrives, I will be able to make a comparison. Having not looked through either of the two scopes, I have two questions in mind. (1) What makes the AP130 EDFS superior to the Tak TOA130? And (2) Why does Takahashi need 6 or 7 more pounds to produce the TOA of similar apeture, when AP does it with less weight?

I know Star Parties are a wonderful way to go when it comes to comparisons, but its also very helpful to receive as much informations as possible, when one is looking at putting out a serious chunk of change.

I would love to hear everyones comments, and if possible, some input from Roland, if you can spare a moment.

Thanks,

Steve

October 4, 2004 01:47 AM Forum: Mounts

UA Heavy Duty Deluxe Alt/Az with Wood Surveyor's T

Posted By Steven Keaton

For those interested in an affordable yet very satisfactory Alt/Az mount, the Universal Astronomics Hvy Duty Deluxe should fit the bill.

Lightweight, portable, attractive, and simply functional. A real joy to use, and a solid mount with a 30 lb. load rate.

I am currently using a Tak FS102 and have no problem whatsoever. It is even becoming easier to use every time that I take it out.

If you are interested, take a look at the article just posted under Alt/Az.

Thanks,

Steve

November 24, 2004 07:16 PM Forum: Takahashi

Tak FS128 - Which Mount?

Posted By Steven Keaton

Just adquired an FS128. A huge leap up from the FS102. Very happy with the scope, but am looking for a more stable mount. At this time one of the Tak Mount/Tripod combos would be overdoing it. However, I am leaning heavily toward the Losmandy, obviously the GM-8 or the GM-11.

I am strictly a visual observer, so if you have had experience with this same setup, which would you or have you used, and why?

Thanks,

Steve

January 12, 2005 04:41 AM Forum: Takahashi

FS128 and Mewlon 210

Posted By Steven Keaton

Since I love comparisons here it goes.

I recently acquired an FS128. However seeing has been horrendous. In a month and a half here in Northern KY I have seen two evenings that were 5/10 maybe.
However, I did catch a marvelous shot of the moon before the clouds rolled in about 7 weeks ago. With a Nag 12mm T4 my jaw hit the ground. When I inserted my 3-6 nag zoom, at 6mm I bit my tongue, at 5mm I drew blood. The next morning I saw Jupiter, and had to go to the emergency room. Anyway, as it has been said, it is a "Monster of a scope". However, I am already thinking of more apeture. But, I don't want a bigger refractor. This thing is already really long.

I want to hang on to this one for a good while, but what about a compliment. Something like the Mewlon 210? It fits my price range and really drives up the focal length. I have two serious concerns in my mind.

1. What about the collimation issue, is it difficult, and often necessary?

2. Is there any noticable aberration? ( I know we are NOT comparing apples to apples, but my first scope was an LX90, and I could see the aberration, therefore the move to a Tak FS102, before the 128.)

Thanks,

Steve

February 7, 2005 08:44 PM Forum: Celestron

C-9.25

Posted By Steven Keaton

Just wondering about collimation of the C-9.25. I'm sure this has already been covered, but I am most likely going to buy one as soon as possible. According to the reviews I have read, this scope is fantastic. I will be using a WO 2" diagonal. I have the adapter lined up from ATWB, and all my eyepieces are Nags and one Panoptic.

My two questions are:

(1). What about collimation?
(2). How is the OTA as a performer?

I will be using it on a G-11, so GoTo is not in the picture. I enjoy hunting things down for myself.

I also wish to mention that I want to free up some of the money I have tied up in this hobby. This scope will most likely replace an FS128. Since I am craving apeture and DSO's, I think the C-9.25 would be a good place to start. Besides, I could use the extra cash I'll get from the sale of my FS128 toward some good accessories. So if anyone has a comment to that end, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Steve

February 27, 2005 05:29 PM Forum: Celestron

Collimation C-9.25

Posted By Steven Keaton

My brand new C-9.25 with XLT just arrived Friday. It is quite a beauty on my G-11. Very easy to handle. I am quite thrilled with the fit, finish and ease of set up. But things went downhill from there.

I got home at about 8:30 P.M. and began to inspect everything. I then changed out the Celestron Dovetail with the Losmandy. It was very cloudy, so I went to bed. At 2:30 A.M. it was clear so I set the OTA outside and allowed about an hour of cooldown time. It was about 35F here in Northern KY. At about 3:30 A.M. I turned my attention to Jupiter. Of course I had a double image, but I could see the bands clearly and discern color variation of the four principle moons. I was delighted with the size increase over my refractor. The moon showed great detail at nearly 200X, but not tack sharp. Obviously collimation was the issue.

I bought Bob Knobs before the OTA arrived and decided to install them Saturday morning. I did so according to instructions. I spent a little more than 50 min. with the procedure for collimation as outlined in the provided instructions. I could tell it was a little off in the very center of the mirror reflections. I waited until the late evening and tried the scope again. I really destroyed collimation. I could get no real focus on Jupiter, the moon or any stars. I tried star collimation and got nowhere.

Inside the house on Sunday morning, I spent an hour and a half fighting with collimation. I cannot get the mirror reflections concentric.

I have poured over many website pages, reading the advice of others and two methods keep coming up.

1. Star Collimation.
2. Star diagonal or laser collimation.

Everything I read says that I will get it eventually and that it will be an easy task one day. One excerpt said that is some months . . . it will be easy. Wow!

Any advice?

Thanks,

Steve

March 6, 2005 05:00 AM Forum: After Dark

G-11 and Cassegrain Collimation

Posted By Steven Keaton

I'm working on Collimating a Cassegrain. I use an artificial star set up about 200 feet away from my scope. Great set-up, but the only problem is my G-11 tracking moves the artificial star out of the field of view so quickly.

I need to keep the mount "on" while I'm collimating so that I can return the Artificial star to the center of the eyepiece after each adjustment.

The question is: is there a way to keep the Mount "on" so that I can manually slew the Artificial star back to center, and at the same time have the tracking disinguaged?

Thanks,

Steve